Lyrid meteor shower tonight 4/21/17

Irons

Forum Supporter
If you have clear sky check out some falling stars! :grin:

The first meteor shower since January will be visible for much of the nation on Friday night as the Lyrid meteor shower reaches its peak.
This will be an excellent year for viewing the Lyrids as the peak falls just a few days before the new moon, thus light from the moon will not interfere much with viewing conditions.

Up to 20 meteors an hour may be seen on the night of April 21 into the morning of April 22 in areas with a clear sky and low light pollution.
The Lyrids can occasionally produce as many as 100 meteors an hour, but an outburst like this is not expected this year.
“These meteors usually lack persistent trains but can produce fireballs,“ the American Meteor Society said.

Sweet! It would sure be cool to find a meteorite someday...like a big dollar one...We look forward to the Perseids of course...Many a wonderful night spent laying out on the dunes in season...

If the conditions are right, meteor showers can be spectacular. In 1978, I was working at a boat rental operation on a lake. We had to start working early, before dawn, to get the boats set up. It was August, and it was in an area without light pollution, and there was a meteor every couple minutes. Many had long tails. I guess those were Perseids, or Geminids?

Watch out for the meteor wrongs. :lol:

Are those the ones that hit you in the head?

:lol: yea, wait a minute ,,,are you saying I'm not right in the head ? :lol:
But really, if you've ever watched the show Meteorite Men, that was one of their sayings .

It is easy to get fooled by a rock that seems like it could be a meteorite, I know from personal experience :lol:

There are other similar web sites, this is one example of a site with pics of meteor wrongs and the reasons why -

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm

:lol: yea, wait a minute ,,,are you saying I'm not right in the head ? :lol:
But really, if you've ever watched the show Meteorite Men, that was one of their sayings .

I was saying "you" more in a general sense. I would never point a finger directly at anyone. There are so many around here that could apply to. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom