Riddle me this, Deus users.

Tinfoilhat

Forum Supporter
Sooooo, it's known that using discrim on the Deus can reduce potential depth.

And........setting the Discrim to 0, it disables the horseshoe.

So If I want horseshoe functionality, I have to run some form of Discrim?

I just got mine yesterday so I'm not sure I am following but I have Garys Sifter program punched in and couple more with 0 disc and the horseshoe icon works?

I just got mine yesterday so I'm not sure I am following but I have Garys Sifter program punched in and couple more with 0 disc and the horseshoe icon works?

I've got the Sifter program. I'll take a look.

I'm rereading Andy's book and it had a caution box addressing it. I wonder if this was a 2.0 issue but resolved in 3.2.

I'll test and find out.

Can't say I've tried disc 0 , now you have me curious.

I will have to check it out tomorrow.

I did see that caution notice as well now that you mention it.

Alright,,as far as the horseshoe goes,,,running 0 disc horseshoe can't be relied on for if a target is nonferrous or ferrous.

Now running low disc,,horseshoe more reliable as far as distinguishing ferrous vs nonferrous,,,keyword is MORE,,not absolute,,,even with disc at level 6,,horseshoe reading could possibly fool you.

Now horseshoe reading as far as total shading,,,better used to gauge depth on coin sized targets,,,key part here coin sized.

Now here's the real deal,, if a person goes to a site loaded with lot of iron and nails,,,and say runs disc 6.0 and say 2 or 3 tone,,,most nails will be knocked out,,and nonferrous will provide tone,,,,but some of the signals heard (mostly broken),, and a person will notice horseshoe switching sides on sweeps,,,can be nonferrous targets colocated with ferrous material,,masked and the Deus is trying to ring in on the nonferrous,,,but signal is compromised due to the masking,,and YOUR disc setting,,,MEANING some of these targets ( nonferrous) actually more full tone and better signal presentation can be accomplished with lower disc,,,far below level 6 setting.

Remember when a person starts dialing disc below 6.0 most nails start ringing in tonally,,if NOT using full tones.

Full tones nails will be identified by their audio (grunting sound) as the coil passes across or down the barrel of nails,,,disc level 2.5 will most of the time when coil is swept across nails width wise-- will be disced out,,no tone.

And this running disc level 2.5 using full tones,,,makes the Deus become more of an isolator of targets- meaning if a person hears tone using 2.5 disc and full tones,,,do at least some investigation to determine if it is iron,,,if no grunting is heard,,,be on guard even if the signal is low sounding,,borderline iron sounding,,these CAN be nonferrous targets-- just waiting to be dug.

Meter readings here mean absolutely nothing,,especially on the low side--- nonferrous targets can read 00 on the meter too,,and 01,02,03 and so on.

Base you decision,,not not the horseshoe side shaded,,not on meter reading,,but tone,, how steady, how smooth,,and no grunts. Now the above is not for cherry picking modern sites,,,actually for old sites with little to no modern trash.

I guarantee,,,you show me an old site,,,that was once virgin and loaded with iron and nails,,,and if a Deus user is the only one to ever hunt the site,,and they ran say disc level 6 and used 2,3 or 4 tones to hunt--- I most likely can go in and make nonferrous finds they left behind,,unintentional I might add.

Now I haven't mention running full tones and 0 disc,,,it will sneak more finds out of a site versus say disc 6 and say 2,3, or 4 tones,,,,but remember when you are running disc level 0 all detectable iron and nails will give tone,,,,it makes the Deus very busy,,,and my experiences show some targets will undoubtably
get missed--- mostly lower conducts,,could be a high nonferrous conductor though,,,the ones missed if a person will hunt behind themselves and run disc 2.5 and full tones--- most missed signals will provide the lower sounding tone (sounds almost like iron) but not quite.

Cheers and happy detecting

Alright,,as far as the horseshoe goes,,,running 0 disc horseshoe can't be relied on for if a target is nonferrous or ferrous.

Now running low disc,,horseshoe more reliable as far as distinguishing ferrous vs nonferrous,,,keyword is MORE,,not absolute,,,even with disc at level 6,,horseshoe reading could possibly fool you.

Now horseshoe reading as far as total shading,,,better used to gauge depth on coin sized targets,,,key part here coin sized.

Now here's the real deal,, if a person goes to a site loaded with lot of iron and nails,,,and say runs disc 6.0 and say 2 or 3 tone,,,most nails will be knocked out,,and nonferrous will provide tone,,,,but some of the signals heard (mostly broken),, and a person will notice horseshoe switching sides on sweeps,,,can be nonferrous targets colocated with ferrous material,,masked and the Deus is trying to ring in on the nonferrous,,,but signal is compromised due to the masking,,and YOUR disc setting,,,MEANING some of these targets ( nonferrous) actually more full tone and better signal presentation can be accomplished with lower disc,,,far below level 6 setting.

Remember when a person starts dialing disc below 6.0 most nails start ringing in tonally,,if NOT using full tones.

Full tones nails will be identified by their audio (grunting sound) as the coil passes across or down the barrel of nails,,,disc level 2.5 will most of the time when coil is swept across nails width wise-- will be disced out,,no tone.

And this running disc level 2.5 using full tones,,,makes the Deus become more of an isolator of targets- meaning if a person hears tone using 2.5 disc and full tones,,,do at least some investigation to determine if it is iron,,,if no grunting is heard,,,be on guard even if the signal is low sounding,,borderline iron sounding,,these CAN be nonferrous targets-- just waiting to be dug.

Meter readings here mean absolutely nothing,,especially on the low side--- nonferrous targets can read 00 on the meter too,,and 01,02,03 and so on.

Base you decision,,not not the horseshoe side shaded,,not on meter reading,,but tone,, how steady, how smooth,,and no grunts. Now the above is not for cherry picking modern sites,,,actually for old sites with little to no modern trash.

I guarantee,,,you show me an old site,,,that was once virgin and loaded with iron and nails,,,and if a Deus user is the only one to ever hunt the site,,and they ran say disc level 6 and used 2,3 or 4 tones to hunt--- I most likely can go in and make nonferrous finds they left behind,,unintentional I might add.

Now I haven't mention running full tones and 0 disc,,,it will sneak more finds out of a site versus say disc 6 and say 2,3, or 4 tones,,,,but remember when you are running disc level 0 all detectable iron and nails will give tone,,,,it makes the Deus very busy,,,and my experiences show some targets will undoubtably
get missed--- mostly lower conducts,,could be a high nonferrous conductor though,,,the ones missed if a person will hunt behind themselves and run disc 2.5 and full tones--- most missed signals will provide the lower sounding tone (sounds almost like iron) but not quite.

Cheers and happy detecting

Thank you TN, for taking the time.

I apologize for all of the questions. I am really working hard to try and understand the Deus in order to become competent with it.

Can't say I've tried disc 0 , now you have me curious.

I will have to check it out tomorrow.

I did see that caution notice as well now that you mention it.

I have only run it once, in conjunction with Full Tones. In relatively quiet ground, it gives fantastic feedback. I suspect that you can really coax some deep targets out with it. I dug a super tiny snap back that took me forever to find with the Pointer and that was running 12K. Its clearly something to add to the play book, when sit conditions warrant.

On a site with any material amount of trash? It turns the Deus in to an audio pachinko machine.

Thank you TN, for taking the time.

I apologize for all of the questions. I am really working hard to try and understand the Deus in order to become competent with it.

No need for apology,,,I want folks to enjoy what they indeed paid for.

I am no trade secret believer.

I hope everyone goes out and makes some great finds.

Sharing info,,really one of the great things that should happen on metal detecting forums,,,and it is possible for even a lesser experienced person say with using Deus,,to make some discoveries (about settings),, that even the more experienced are not aware of.

Tinkering around with the Deus settings,,after one finds a target in what seems like a challenging site--- by all means I encourage folks to do so,,,much learning can take place.

And btw,,anytime anyone here disagrees with me,,,or are seeing something different than I am,,,,by all means chime in.

I need to play with the All Metal more on the Deus,,I have a site that would be a good one to try and somewhat master running a Deus as such.

Back
Top Bottom