Flying with metal detectors on airlines.

Tikidog

So I really want to travel with my detectors back east for the holidays. So far with my one phone call to Delta airlines and jet blue they say as long as I remove batteries so they don't touch each other (and overheat?) and not have any lithium batteries around... that they're ok.. Should I be concerned that they'll be removed brusquely from the pelican case foam-pack and not returned delicately enough? tsa-approved padlock as well?
Thoughts?

Happy holidays!

Tikidog

I actually just got back from a hunt with a friend of mine in Arkansas. There weren't any issues at all flying with the detectors. I took them as a carry on in a backpack with all batteries out. TSC may have you open your bag to take a look but they never even opened mine to look at the equipment. You'll definitely want to take them as a carry on so they won't get thrown around. I flew Southwest.

Alan

travel with detector

I have flown from St.Louis - Soul ,Korea -Philippines with mine in checked in luggage with no problem. On the way back we hit Japan instead of Korea , no problems any where. When TSA ran the check in through the x-ray they didn't even question it. Do take the batteries out and make sure ther is no contact with any thing , i also include a operators manual just in case they open and don't know what it is. We use the hard shell suitcases and i just wrap a lot of towles or other clothes all the way around the detector.

My bags get stopped and inspected every time without fail. Anything bigger than an AA battery goes in my pocket. The battery in my headlamp usually sets off their alarms.
I wrap any sensitive equipment in my clothes in the suitcase just in case it gets tossed around.

Li-On batteries are acceptable under a certain rating (laptop). Anything over will end up being tossed or a missed flight.
If that ends up happening try to find a postal service in the airport with a ground service and mail the rejected items back to your home address.
I fly with my whites battery and rnb battery. The ctx battery I don't know if it's ok or not

Back
Top Bottom