Early Surprise

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I went to the volleyball court in the park Monday morning about 8 months ago and just six feet into the search got a solid signal and found this ring.
I thought it was a gold ring with diamonds. But it was an 8 gram gold plated .925 ring. The top was cut/engraved in the silver to look like lots of small diamonds. A clever design. My wife absolutely loves this ring. It looks like the real thing unless you hold it up very close and inspect the ring.

When I uncovered it in the sand, I really thought I had hit a big one. But that find makes up for days with it is just clad and pop tops. For me it is the thrill of the hunt and the exercise in the great outdoors. I spend way too much time on the keyboard every weekday.

ringnicefind925.jpg

That's what it's all about, just getting out and having fun...let your mind drift into dirt (or sand) heaven. Congrats on a nice recovery!

That's a heck of a nice looking ring, and I hear you about spending too much time behind a keyboard! Been an especially tough year to get time to detect. Congrats!

sweet looking ring! woulda given me a heart attack if i dug it up and saw it like that in the sand

Nice ring, but It took you 8 months to share your story? :laughing:

Well I have been in metal detecting since late 1980's using Fisher Gold bug to locate gold in north Georgia Mountains. Later about 4-5 years ago bought a Fisher ID Edge to use for hunting in the North Atlanta area. I found that ring with the ID Edge. It was so big, and the volley ball court had been cleaned real good by other metal detectorist, it was an easy find.

But I kind of got discouraged with the ID Edge. So I sold it on eBay. Turns out it was me, not really knowing how to use the ID Edge properly. months later I started doing more research and settled on the AT Pro since so many people used it and it was priced in my budget range plus there were a lot of videos and forum posts on the AT Pro.

I finally figured out by reading this forum, that I really must get to know how to use the AT Pro in the pro/zero mode and learn how to recognize targets by their sound. I did a lot of searching and digging and am getting much better at finding good targets by use of the VDI and listening to the signals.

So I am a happy hunter and not worrying too much about what I find or don't find. Of course a nice big diamond on a gold ring would be nice. I am finding a lot of clad and bullets and working hard on recognizing the characteristics of rings. I do dig a lot and that helps in my learning curve.

I will be going to the Fla Gulf this fall and plan to do some serious beach hunting. Thus this explains my one good lucky find. But luck often is being in the right place at the right time with the right tools.

That is a nice ring did you test the stones? WTG

There were not stones. It was very unique gold plated .925 silver. So the top of the ring was not gold plated but the silver was carved in a manner to look like small diamonds to the casual observer. You look at it very closely and see they are not stones but engravings like rows of little x's.

here is picture

the original picture was too large and I guess the forum software eventually deleted it.

Attachments

• vollyballringfindsmall.jpg
    vollyballringfindsmall.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,523
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom