Spilled Wheat Brings a Steel Surprise!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I went out for a couple hours today, and about halfway through the hunt I got a mostly good signal - a bouncy bell tone in the penny/dime range that sporadically dipped down into the 30's on the TID. I switched to the Ace's "Iron Audio" feature (I still don't entirely understand Iron Audio), and I was getting some vague grunts at the edges. All this info usually would lead me to skip the target, but the depth showed 6" - at this location I've found enough good stuff at that depth with bouncy signals that I decided to dig, but still fully expecting trash. Right at the 6" mark, I started pulling up wheats :grin: The fourth and fifth coins came out together, literally in a small clump, but they separated from each other on their own as I plopped them down on the towel I use to keep plugs tidy. One was clearly a wheat, but the other coin was completely unidentifiable. For a little while I was confused by the appearance of the one coin - it was exactly the same size as the other wheats, but corroded worse than any Zincoln I have found so far. The 4 readable wheats were all dated between 1936 and 1946, so I knew it was an old spill - the odds seemed incredibly small that a recent spill would be dominated by wheats. Then I suddenly realized - I probably had the remains of a 1943 steel cent! When I got home, I put a magnet to it, and sure enough, it stuck :grin: Completely worthless and unidentifiable, but pretty cool to find one in the ground nonetheless! I never expected to find a steel cent while detecting :cool:

The other highlights of the hunt were another WWII era wheat (dinged by a lawn mower) and Canadian cent (my oldest foreign coin so far), a modern arcade token, a key that looks to be from the 60's or 70's, and a metal "whatsit" (see pics below). Also dug 75 cents worth of clad and a little bit of trash - a couple bottle caps, an older beaver tail pulltab, and some can slaw (not pictured).

Wheatie Spill (Notice the crustiness attached to the face of the wheat that's next to the steel cent. That's the wheat that was stuck to the steel, and the corrosion was beginning to impact the copper, too):

WheatSpill.jpg

Probable steel cent sticking to the magnet :grin::

WheatSpillMag.jpg

Front of the Canadian cent (nicely greened up) and the wheat dinged by a lawn mower (found surprisingly close to the surface):

CanadianFront.jpg

Back of the Canadian cent:

CanadianBack.jpg

Modern arcade token (Circus Playhouse & Food Emporium apparently only existed in the 1980's - that would be Lionel the Friendly Lion depicted on the token!), a key and a thingamajig:

ArcadeTokenFront.jpg

Back of the arcade token:

ArcadeTokenBack.jpg

Glad to see that you made it out today. It was a very nice day to do that. I myself do not use the iron audio either can't quite understand it. But I will tell you that some of my nicest finds we're kind of broken up and had a grunt on one side and just picked up a nice signal on the other side. As long as I can hear that nice Beltone even if it's inconsistent I still find myself digging everything that is how I found my last silver ring. Along with the silver ring was an old bottle cap in the same hole I feel that if I would be using the iron audio I may not have Dug it. Dig it all you just never know what it'll be.

That's pretty cool that you found a steel cent! Had it not been in the wheatie spill it would've just been another rusted thingy.

Glad to see that you made it out today. It was a very nice day to do that. I myself do not use the iron audio either can't quite understand it. But I will tell you that some of my nicest finds we're kind of broken up and had a grunt on one side and just picked up a nice signal on the other side. As long as I can hear that nice Beltone even if it's inconsistent I still find myself digging everything that is how I found my last silver ring. Along with the silver ring was an old bottle cap in the same hole I feel that if I would be using the iron audio I may not have Dug it. Dig it all you just never know what it'll be.

Sure was a nice day! Lots of nice weather here in our neck of the woods lately - I just wish I had more time available to take advantage of it. The kids will all be off to college in about 14 years - I'll have plenty of time then! Hopefully there will still be some things left for me to find by then! :lol:

Yeah, I'm still undecided on how useful the Iron Audio is. I always activate it with each good target as a double check, but I've found it to be too inconsistent to rely on when making a dig-no dig decision. I'm still assuming that it's my lack of experience preventing me from realizing the benefits from Iron Audio, but that hope is fading. Eventually I'll start a Iron Audio thread to pick some more experienced brains - maybe I can at least figure out what I'm missing about that feature before the kids head off to college :laughing:

That's pretty cool that you found a steel cent! Had it not been in the wheatie spill it would've just been another rusted thingy.

I know, right? When I air tested the steel cent, it rang up a solid 1 on the TID :laughing: Even with a "dig it all" mindset, I'm pretty sure that one's getting skipped :lol: Even rusty nails ring up higher, I think! All that said, I really like my corroded-beyond-all-recognition little steel cent - I was just as excited to see that brown rusty disc jump onto the magnet as I've been when I've seen silver pop up in a plug! There's something wrong with me, isn't there? :lol:

The only steel cent I've ever found was in a Coinstar machine! Congrats on the cool find.

Nice finds!!!! In the 1990's I was part of a local club and we had a guy that collected coins and artifacts that had been hit by the mower. Talk about "Niche" collecting!!!

He had all kinds of things and people traded stuff with him and he had quite the collection in display cases.

Was odd, but very cool.

Nice Hunt! Coins spills can be tricky.

beephead

I'm definitely learning that, beephead. Each spill seems to have its own unique sound or something unusual about the signal when it rings up - no two are alike, to use the cliche. But the really tricky part is that whatever made the tone different often only makes sense in hindsight, at least for my beep-and-dig belltone Ace.

As an example, I found another, modern spill earlier this week - the signal was bouncing between 77-79, too low for the usual Zincoln, but also a bit high for most trash. The depth indicated about 2", and the Iron Audio feature gave no grunts. I pinpointed with the Ace, then I checked with the Pro-Pointer to see if the target was close to the surface - no signal from the Pro-Pointer got me to thinking it might just be can slaw, 'cuz it was looking deeper, and therefore maybe bigger, than expected. But the signal was a little too sharp for slaw, so I dug to satisfy my curiousity...3-4" inches down, a clad dime popped up. Knowing a dime should ring 85 or so, I knew there was more there. Ultimately pulled 2 quarters, 3 nickels, and the dime out of the hole for a nice little spill :grin:

Anyway, the point is, there was a lot going on there - clearly the nickels dragged down the total signal from the quarters and dime, and also the size of the spill messed with the depth. I know I'm not telling beephead anything he doesn't already know, but I just thought I'd share the whole scenario to help demonstrate to my fellow new MDers how a coin spill can try to fool you, at least on a belltone machine.

Thats gotta be a steel penny...Thats something you never find..Some cool finds..Thanks for posting

I found a steel cent this year as well. I think it’s very cool! Hard to find too

The only steel cent I've ever found was in a Coinstar machine! Congrats on the cool find.

Pretty much the only way to find a steel wheat is when it's part of a vintage spill...nice hunt!

Thanks, guys! It's certainly not the flashiest find, but I really like it for being a little unusual, and for how the find and ID had to come from the context of the other coins in the spill!

Nice finds!!!! In the 1990's I was part of a local club and we had a guy that collected coins and artifacts that had been hit by the mower. Talk about "Niche" collecting!!!

He had all kinds of things and people traded stuff with him and he had quite the collection in display cases.

Was odd, but very cool.

I would have liked to have met that guy! I've got plenty of lawn mower dinged coins and miscellaneous objects I'd be happy to trade :D

Nice collection of goodies. I have a couple of steel cents that were planted in a small cache at a seeded hunt that are in good shape but don't think that is ever something I would dig under normal circumstances. Sounds like it was a fun dig with a s nice assortment.

Back
Top Bottom