Mud

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Ok, North Texas has been pounded with rain for a long time now. I detest nasty, wet digs in clay about as much as cold or hot temps. No rain expected here for the next few days at least, but you can count on getting very muddy for at least the first few days.

Is the increased sensitivity worth the mess? I really doubt the leftover, missed silvers are deep, but masked coins. I have to be open minded though and wonder...are abnormal deeper ground moistures in ground(clay) possibly a keen condition?

I know for a fact after digging a hole here at home last Monday, that the dry line was around 10-12 inches, then it was dry, but filled in with water real fast. That depth of moisture here is unusual. That dig was at the beginning of the week, so it's surely deeper now.

Anybody here get out detecting in messy ground on purpose, instead of giving it a couple of days to get way less muddy in digs?

I have dug soggy ground like that here in pa many times. just depends how bad the "itch" is. :laughing:

Would the possibility of seeing deeper, missed targets at old hunted out spots urge you out. That deeper moisture should enhance detection depth. Mud might be worth it.

We have clay around here that is almost like trying to dig into rock during the hot dry summer days, so maybe muddy clay, as messy as it is, might be preferable :lol:

When i first saw the title of this thread I thought it was gonna be about Mudpuppy. . :lol:

You called? :laughing:

Concerning the topic, Yes, theres a few really nice active sports fields and stadiums I hunt around here that have a base of heavy clay...Like GKL said, when its dry in the summer, the finds are locked in tight...the only time a guy can really roll through there is when they are sopping wet and muddy in the Spring and Fall...The perfect Window of Opportunity...

Saying this, a guy would not EVER want to use a conventional digging tool in these places! Never mind that the wet clay would stick to the blade, impeding speed, but the total mess a guy would make would be onerous and obvious...a guy doesnt want to kneel down on the set soaking mess either

So I use the screwdriver StoopNStab and leave no trace at all...a guy can nearly ram their hand right down through the mud and grab a target...So like this morning, nice wet clay, I'm heading over to give these specific stadiums a StoopNstab..

These wet clay muddy cool conditions are the perfect situation for a guy to really make pay and pull easily over 100CPH....

I would wait for a few days of dry weather then hit some of those areas that appear to be cleaned out. If you still have the V3i I would go with the larger coil in deep silver mode and see what you scare up. Maybe use the depth reading and only dig deep signals.

I drove through Dallas last Monday and have to say the rain was crazy. Between Houston and Ennis it was non stop heavy rain.

Back
Top Bottom