Please explain faint sounds referred to

duse

Although I've only been detecting for a few weeks on my Ace 250, I've found coins five in. down but never heard the faint sounds people here refer to. What is meant by faint? Barely audible? I've also pulled tiny pieces of foil out and the sounds weren't faint either, even though 4 in. down. Thanks. I sometimes hear a faint sound when I pinpoint but loud sounds when I pinpoint other things. But only when pinpointing.

The Ace 250 has a modulated audio response. Its signal strength will not be reflected in the speaker or phones. This is partly why I didnt keep mine.

Non Modulated would mean that the signal would be heard at what ever strength it was reaiding. Modulated would mean that its amplified and all sounds are the same audio level. This is how it works in thelecomuntcation and radio signals. It may be different in detectors .

Non Modulated would mean that the signal would be heard at what ever strength it was reaiding. Modulated would mean that its amplified and all sounds are the same audio level. This is how it works in thelecomuntcation and radio signals. It may be different in detectors .
Say it again.............................

Attachments

• MV5BMTgxMzE0MTU5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzYyNzI2__V1__SX100_SY128_.jpg
    MV5BMTgxMzE0MTU5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzYyNzI2__V1__SX100_SY128_.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 282

It is different in metal detectors. In detector speak, modulated audio means that the sound volume from a target is inversely proportional to its depth. The deeper it is, the lower the sound volume of the beep. On detectors that do not have modulated audio, the beep of a detected target is at full volume.

It is different in metal detectors. In detector speak, modulated audio means that the sound volume from a target is inversely proportional to its depth. The deeper it is, the lower the sound volume of the beep. On detectors that do not have modulated audio, the beep of a detected target is at full volume.
Cleared that right up..................................

Boy???:?:

I'm just a dumb analog guy.:duh:

With Tesoro'es the volume will lower
and the sound will be smoother.:cool:

With a few of the newer modles, they
can be " Super Tuned ".:shock:

It's nothing really new.:roll:

If you turn up the sensativity and then
turn the threshold all the way up, let's
say a Vaquero, it makes even deep
targets sound loud.

Some say it increases depth. Others say
it only increases the volume of deeper
and , to some extent, smaller targets.

I do not care for Super Tuning. It takes
away some of the expreshion of the target
and makes it harder to determin depth.
My detectors don't have depth meters.
I determin depth, size and shape by sound.

If the 250 makes targets sound like Super
Tuning, I don't think I would like it.

happy Hunting,

Tabdog

So, what would it be better, to find a MD that does or does not have modulated audio?

Not necessarily, once you learn your machine you should be fine. Unless you have and want to spend more money. I dug a wheat yesterday at about 11 inches with the ace 250. I got a repeatable but non consistent "coin" tone and decided to dig. This was one of the "vanishing" signals you may have read about previously. Once I broke ground, the "coin" tone vanished. But I payed attention this time...the pinpoint mode still faintly picked up the coin. I kept digging until the tone from pinpoint mode was gone (it got stronger the deeper I dug) and then low and behold, I got a "coin" tone on my dirt pile and pulled out a 1911 wheat.

Faint pinpoint tones can be caused by a couple different things as far as I've noticed. First would be a larger object under the ground that you weren't completely clear of when you pushed pinpoint. In this case the faint tone is telling you where the center of the large object is. Second would be something beer can sized just under the surface, same scenario. Third would be that you pushed pinpoint while the detector was still picking up the signal from what lied below. Move the detector away from the spot, hold it still and then push and hold pinpoint again. And then of course Depth. Watch some videos on youtube about the ace 250, there are some good tips on there including one on how to detune the detector when pinpointing.

I wonder how many times people get a ghost signal with other detectors that is actually the vanishing signal we ace 250 users run into??? It is said that too high of a sensitivity setting can and will cause this. True, if I didn't have my sensitivity set high enough I would never get the signal from an 11" deep coin. Having never had another detector to speak of, all my experience (for what its worth) lies with the ace 250......

Faint sounds? Isn't that a term from the old days of metal detecting? Take the MXT for example it gives three different lenght bars for the strenght of signal. The Ace 250 I heard will just go over a faint iffy signal that could be a deep coin.

Faint sounds? Isn't that a term from the old days of metal detecting? Take the MXT for example it gives three different lenght bars for the strenght of signal. The Ace 250 I heard will just go over a faint iffy signal that could be a deep coin.

I don't think the bars are an indication of signal strength. It is more if the MXT has a good ID on the target. An example is when I get a signal on a quarter that is shallow, 3 inches, I get a 83-86 and a full bar. A cap which is bigger will give the same numbers but I will get a smaller bar. At 3" the cap is giving a full signal.

From the manual
A full block indicates the
MXT is confident of indication. A half block indicates
the MXT is not confident but is making an
educated indication. A quarter block indicates the
MXT is not confident at all, guessing based on what
little information the target is producing.

The MXT still gives faint signals and whispers if the gain is not turned up to where you lose the modulation. Rob

Not necessarily, once you learn your machine you should be fine. Unless you have and want to spend more money. I dug a wheat yesterday at about 11 inches with the ace 250. I got a repeatable but non consistent "coin" tone and decided to dig. This was one of the "vanishing" signals you may have read about previously. Once I broke ground, the "coin" tone vanished. But I payed attention this time...the pinpoint mode still faintly picked up the coin. I kept digging until the tone from pinpoint mode was gone (it got stronger the deeper I dug) and then low and behold, I got a "coin" tone on my dirt pile and pulled out a 1911 wheat.

Faint pinpoint tones can be caused by a couple different things as far as I've noticed. First would be a larger object under the ground that you weren't completely clear of when you pushed pinpoint. In this case the faint tone is telling you where the center of the large object is. Second would be something beer can sized just under the surface, same scenario. Third would be that you pushed pinpoint while the detector was still picking up the signal from what lied below. Move the detector away from the spot, hold it still and then push and hold pinpoint again. And then of course Depth. Watch some videos on youtube about the ace 250, there are some good tips on there including one on how to detune the detector when pinpointing.

I wonder how many times people get a ghost signal with other detectors that is actually the vanishing signal we ace 250 users run into??? It is said that too high of a sensitivity setting can and will cause this. True, if I didn't have my sensitivity set high enough I would never get the signal from an 11" deep coin. Having never had another detector to speak of, all my experience (for what its worth) lies with the ace 250......

You speak the truth here. If you've got a 250, read this and note it well. When it seems like the pinpoint isn't working, that's telling you it's a small item or deep. Keep digging. One thing that seems to be true about the ACE is that if it made a sound, there's something there.

When I found my Cent at the weekend using my Goldmaxx, the tone was very quiet and a little fuzzy, and that was at around 6".
This may have been partly due to the headphones I was using, they are not full cup phones, and let me hear what's going on around me. Added to the fact that I have severe hearing loss in my left ear. :(

Back
Top Bottom