Run In With The Law

Coindigger1960

A couple of weeks ago I was at a local park just a few blocks from my house.
I had just gotten there and had my gear out and hunting about 15 minutes when I hear a car pull up behind me, I turn around to see it was a city police car. So I take my head phones off and wait for him to walk up to me, I ask him what I could do for him and he said Oh nothing, he said he saw me out metal detecting and wanted to see if I had found anything good. I kinda sighed and oh not much, I think I found a dime. He told me he hunts too and wanted to know what kind of machine I had. I showed him my pro and what settings I use and he told me that he had an Ace250. I asked him if he had found anything good and he said he had found an old pocket knife out in some field. I told him if whenever he was off duty and wanted to go out to do a little hunting to give me or my nephew a call and we would be happy to go! In the mean time another police officer pulls up and walks over to us and I thought Oh here it comes some old busy body did call and he was here to tell me I have to leave. He says that he got a report of someone out here digging up dead bodies, I start laughing said Uh yeah I have 3 in the back of me car. and he says yea I can smell them :lol: I guess they were on their way to serve a warrant somewhere close by. We talked for about 10 or 15 minutes and they said I could hunt all I want. boy it would be nice to have police officer as a hunting buddy, If anyone did want to give us some guff we could just sick him on them :laughing:

A couple of weeks ago I was at a local park just a few blocks from my house.
I had just gotten there and had my gear out and hunting about 15 minutes when I hear a car pull up behind me, I turn around to see it was a city police car. So I take my head phones off and wait for him to walk up to me, I ask him what I could do for him and he said Oh nothing, he said he saw me out metal detecting and wanted to see if I had found anything good. I kinda sighed and oh not much, I think I found a dime. He told me he hunts too and wanted to know what kind of machine I had. I showed him my pro and what settings I use and he told me that he had an Ace250. I asked him if he had found anything good and he said he had found an old pocket knife out in some field. I told him if whenever he was off duty and wanted to go out to do a little hunting to give me or my nephew a call and we would be happy to go! In the mean time another police officer pulls up and walks over to us and I thought Oh here it comes some old busy body did call and he was here to tell me I have to leave. He says that he got a report of someone out here digging up dead bodies, I start laughing said Uh yeah I have 3 in the back of me car. and he says yea I can smell them :lol: I guess they were on their way to serve a warrant somewhere close by. We talked for about 10 or 15 minutes and they said I could hunt all I want. boy it would be nice to have police officer as a hunting buddy, If anyone did want to give us some guff we could just sick him on them :laughing:

Good story. I too have had several occasions where I am approached by LEO's. Only to find out that they are just asking the usual "what's the best thing you've ever found" and "how deep does it go" type-questions. Even when being "scrammed" (like inside the fences of old-town demolition sites), they are often intrigued, and change their tone to "where can I buy one of those ?" and "what are you finding?" type nice questions.

In all my years of detecting I've had maybe 12-15 encounters with the police. Most of them were absolutely no problem because NO ONE had called them and they were just curious as to how I was doing. A few times though it turned into a simple scram because they were responding to a call, but twice it turned ugly because the "officer" made a big stinking deal about it.

Whew. I was already irked at the thread title lol! I know it's a faulty argument, but in a world in which soooo many people do such terrible things, right out in the open, I'd think people could leave metal detector folks alone.

Glad it was positive for ya!

My only contact with police while detecting turned out the same way: finding anything? and discussion of best finds.

... but twice it turned ugly because the "officer" made a big stinking deal about it.

But let me guess: Even in those situations, it netted in only a "scram". Right ? Ie.: No "confiscations". No "arrests". No "tickets". No "jail time". Right ?

We hear those fear tossed out as "imminent peril" whenever the discussion of legalities is discussed, re.: md'ing . Yet when you press those people to give you any examples, of such horrible consequences happening ........... no one know of any such incidents.

The only examples that are ever forthcoming , is always : Some night-sneaking obvious historic sensitive monuments. Or someone being obstinate who couldn't take a warning, etc.....

Yet for some reason: The supposed "imminent impending fear" is perpetually tossed out there, as something we are supposed to be expecting :?:

But let me guess: Even in those situations, it netted in only a "scram". Right ? Ie.: No "confiscations". No "arrests". No "tickets". No "jail time". Right ?

We hear those fear tossed out as "imminent peril" whenever the discussion of legalities is discussed, re.: md'ing . Yet when you press those people to give you any examples, of such horrible consequences happening ........... no one know of any such incidents.

The only examples that are ever forthcoming , is always : Some night-sneaking obvious historic sensitive monuments. Or someone being obstinate who couldn't take a warning, etc.....

Yet for some reason: The supposed "imminent impending fear" is perpetually tossed out there, as something we are supposed to be expecting :?:

In one instance we were told to sit in our car while the officer called in to see if there were any warrants out on us. In the other we were given a long winded lecture about "trespassing" which we were not guilty of. In both cases we were scrammed but the two officers just went a bit overboard in the process.

.... In both cases we were scrammed.....

Yup. Believe it or not, cops have "bigger fish to fry" than geeks with metal detectors.

I/we too have been "given the 3rd degree" by LEO-types. And ... just as happened to you ..... told "scram" , is all. And in retrospect: We always get a good laugh (albeit 30 minutes later) thinking that they're probably thinking: "What a bunch of losers. Dudes out at midnight with metal detectors". Doh ! :roll:

Only a few times have the police came upon met detecting and it always starts with the same thought..."oh boy, here we go..."

The last time I was night hunting at a soccer field and an SUV comes B lining at me through the parking lot very quickly with brights on. My usual response is to just keep detecting and let them make the first contact but I decided to walk over and approach her, happened to be a cute female officer :cool3:

She told me that she just wanted to see if I was alright and found anything. Mind you this was about 10 at night after the park is "closed". I said just some pocket change, we chatted for a few minutes and then she left. So far the police have been cool but always scram if they give you the option, not worth the hassle.

I used to hunt with a state trooper. Nice because he always carried a firearm.
I was at times invited to hunt crime scenes.

Now I dont know for 100% sure positive, but I think the LEO's pretty much know who we are and everything about us as they roll up...Due to advanced Technology now a days....Social Credit score kinda stuff...Where you came from, where you been, whatcha been up to, etc...

A guys gotta wonder? Leo rolls up....

So...what do we have here? (Scans Plate/Cellphone signal) Boop de beep de boop...up on the screen it comes...

Report: "Mr. Mudpuppy.... A local old law abiding Tax Mule... ReckOp ticket in 1978 for spinning shiddys in the Piggley Wiggley parking lot on Christmas Eve when he told his folks he was going to midnight Mass..paid....

Speeding ticket in 1987 for doing 43 in a 35...paid......No open warrants or unpaid ER bills...

Personality Profile: Goes out early to find empty cans and picks up towels, spends an inordinate amount of time on an obscure Metal Detecting Forum...Used to fish a little...Never golfed...

Assets: Current Checking acct balance of $823.07...No stocks or 401k or pension. Vehicles registered, 2.. total value = $3k if...

Warning! Nothing to lose! Extremely dangerous! Call for backup! :laughing:

Report: "Mr. Mudpuppy.... A local old law abiding Tax Mule... ReckOp ticket in 1978 for spinning shiddys in the Piggley Wiggley parking lot on Christmas Eve when he told his folks he was going to midnight Mass..paid....

Well puppy-mud : Confession is good for the soul. It's good that you've come clean with this youthful indiscretion.

That led to cutting classes at school. Then stealing hubcabs. Then clubbing baby seals. Till finally .... we have arrived at the worst possible infractions now: Finding a 51 yr. old coin on federal land. Tsk tsk. But not to worry: We here at FMDF collectively forgive you of all these past sins. :cool3:

Well puppy-mud : Confession is good for the soul. It's good that you've come clean with this youthful indiscretion.

That led to cutting classes at school. Then stealing hubcabs. Then clubbing baby seals. Till finally .... we have arrived at the worst possible infractions now: Finding a 51 yr. old coin on federal land. Tsk tsk. But not to worry: We here at FMDF collectively forgive you of all these past sins. :cool3:

Yeah, its sort of funny now Tom, but it wasnt back then!...As we kids got older, My Mom followed the local paper crime reports to keep track on us kids...for Her it was an easy and efficient way to know what we were up to instead of reading our diaries or diagnosing evidence clearly displayed in our underpants...All she had to do was check the crime report in the local paper!!

Thats simply Lazy Parenting I submit!

She was mortified to discover my Midnight ICE Yuletide antics!! Her boy was out ripping shiddys in the PigWig parking lot instead of reciting incantations at the Midnight Mass!

Running Afoul of the Law in a small town and having it posted in the paper for your Mom and all her friends to see will garnish a kid at the very least a severe tongue lashing...or possibly even grounded!....

The worst case and outcome was when she called Monsignor Herman over to the house to perform an exorcism!...I'm like Hey!...WTH is this? Who are you gonna believe? Me or my lying underpants!..That Farrah Fawcett 1976 swimsuit poster on the back of the closet door didnt help my case....

I dont remember if I have ever clubbed a baby seal out on the Newfoundland Ice sheet..not that I wouldnt a done it in the right circumstances...just that I never had the chance so far...I'm a good guy overall..depending on who you ask...

In spite of all of my character flaws, taken in stride, I can live with myself, In fact I come in quite handy to myself..I feel safe and secure and enjoy my own company....We get along real good!....I'm feeling safe that I am always around in case I need me to show up in an emergency!.... I guess thats all that matters, a guy has to have some sort of dependable friend on this Planet..For me its me...

Last edited:
Hope that policeman will contact us for a hunt. I think most times when they stop to look is just out of curiosity . I had a few stop
And look at me , prob making fun of me.😂.

I had a similar experience this summer at the beach, I was taking my gear out of the truck and a cop passed by and then did an abrupt U turn and pulled up to me, my first thought was oh boy, here we go. But all he wanted to know was if I ever found anything of value and some other inquisitive questions, a very pleasant chat that lasted about eight minutes, he wished me luck and went about his business.

I work nights as a driver. I talk to the locals. They get really bored and want to talk. They also like when someone does something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom