MD while traveling?

wynn

My DW and I are getting to the point where we can start taking long vacations. We will be traveling with our truck and RV so taking my detector with me is part of the plan. My question is when you are out of your normal area how do you handle with finding out what you can and can not do? Ask the local law enforcement:?: Check the forum for any memmbers that might life in the area where you are to help you out. Or if you are out in the sticks and there is no one around, do you just do it? :?:

Hummm,,,, that's a hard one. You like me prolly want to do the right thing,,,but it gets kinda hard on impromptu hunts. I would say scope it out,,,use your best judgment and be respectful,,,,and if it feels right go for it. Any doubts in your mind pass and move on. And be prepared to be asked to leave if you get it wrong. Good luck and HH

I don't get to travel far much, and you are doing EXACTLY what I wish I was doing everyday. ...:cheers:

When I do get out, I research a place pretty thoroughly first to know where to hunt and the history of the place (I'm shifting more to relic and underwater but still um, dig, coins). I ask for permission when possible, but some spots are about impossible to figure out who owns/cares about a place and in that situation I just use my best judgment and stay discreet. For example, I wouldn't take your truck, RV and backhoe into an area I wasn't 100% sure about!

look for playgrounds, and parks in the area you are going.

make sure to follow all the posted signs.

leave to trace of your diggin.

follow the golden rule

Golden rule? Is that the one about making sure to hunt where the gold is?

Golden Rule,,,,,, He who has the Gold makes the rules:D
Thanks for the advice, Guess I will have to do my best. Always looking for help and advice.

I always check with the local Powers.....either the cops or in the case of REALLY small towns, the City/Town Hall. Asking first will get you more permission(s) than just going out and searching. And yes, read the signs. The ones in my town don't mention MD and I've pointed that out to more than one person....

Dusty

Sounds like a great way to get around the country! There is a member here, i forget his id, maybe campingeagle(?) who does just that...

Wanted to add that often the powers that be in those small towns aren't the officials, but the people most connected or long-term residents. You might find the blue haired lady sitting in the corner of the local cafe the BEST source of permission and an invaluable source if information about spots to hunt...just be ready to listen to some stories (most of which are fascinating...make the time). You talk to lady, win over her heart. Lady picks up phone, something happens. I got permission to hunt a house in a small town in LA that was a temporary field hospital in the Civil War just by talking up a local, who referred me to a local, etc. By the time I got there we were all best friends.

Sometimes using your better judgement could just as well end in trouble for you. For instance, ALL county property where I live is NO METAL DETECTING. So if I was travelling around and happened to see this piece of land I wanted to hunt, not knowing who's land it was, etc., could get you in deep trouble. Take your chances ? Sure. Best bet is to log onto the city/county goverment web site and see if they have their property on GIS. You can find who the property owners are from this. Or ASK questions (Parks and Recreation Department for example) before just stopping to hunt. Penalities can be pretty STIFF in some areas, including them confiscating your equipment and the vehicle you drove in on. Does it happen ? YES !!! Would it happen to you ? Take a chance...........

I sometimes do what you're talking about. If I'm going to be
in an area for awhile, I join the local MD club. One area I stop at now and then, I found an old county land plat map
that shows where some of the old bldgs were. They're
generally private property now but current owners aren't to
hard to find. City parks generally have signs with park rules,
and if the sign doesn't say no MD'ing, I sometimes do them.
I found a 1907 half dollar at one such park this summer. If
you're in to nugget hunting, some of the clubs out west have
mining claims you can go on. Nuggets are pretty far an few
between, but did find one tiny one this winter.

Back
Top Bottom