Mason Jar Info?

Dsm_mechva

Forum Supporter
Ok so nevermind that it was buried 2 feet deep sitting upright at the base of an old tree so I spent 30-40 mins digging it up hoping it was a stash of silver coins and while it's probably seeped in water it looks like someone's old pee stash lol.

The Ball jar appears to be 1923-1933 based on the style of the "Ball" BUT it has a mismatched Presto aluminum lid so wondering if that will help narrow down the date? I haven't found anything other than "vintage" about the Presto lid.

Anyway, after I get over my fear of opening it ...it's a nice jar I could keep bullets or something in.

I'm going to guess later 1920's or so but figured maybe someone here would know.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 627
Your date on the jar itself seems right. The lid *looks* more modern, but I only collect jars, not lids. I believe the older style lids fell out of favor sometime in the 60's, but don't quote me on that. Also keep in mind deposition lag, I'm still canning in jars of that same vintage today, just with more modern lids. The early jars had thicker glass and I experience less breakage than the thin ones you buy in the supermarket.

I'm just amazed you hit it at 2 ft down !! Can't imagine why anyone would bury anything that deep . congrats ,, HH

I can say I've dug more than a few of those with ancient food intact. I've accidently broken them with the shovel, and suffered the stinky consequences. Enough to give you nightmares. :lol: Only worse was the bottle of 1930s vinegar, that I had to abandon the dig for a few days (P-E-W-W!). If you open that jar, put a clothespin on your nose. :yes:

I have seen modern "retro" zinc screwcaps at the auctions so someone is still making them. I may even have a few around somewhere. I agree it's 30s at least-clear glass. Like worm12ga said, people use jars for a long time so it may have been buried more recently.

Last edited:
Boy did you luck out. :lol: I've unearthed some of the ickiest, nastiest, vile, smelly, rotton substances (formerly known as food) to ever come outta the ground. Just looking at some of it is enough to tickle the gag reflexes of the faint-hearted. :laughing:

That's the first time I've seen roots growing in a bottle though.:shock:

I sent you a PM.I keep urine in half gallon mason jars and full gallon jugs dug mine where the tops are 18" deep. It keeps your urine at a constant temperature, it will never go bad as long as it's kept cool and the temps don't change a lot.:D

I sent you a PM.I keep urine in half gallon mason jars and full gallon jugs dug mine where the tops are 18" deep. It keeps your urine at a constant temperature, it will never go bad as long as it's kept cool and the temps don't change a lot.:D

Well , Maybe I should clarify, it's not really your urine but it is does belong to you. Since your the one who uncovered it, it is now your urine. :laughing:

Let me bring you up to speed on urines, since I stepped into this mess.. If your urine isn't forming salts while in storage, change where you are buying your pee from because it is not real pee. Notice the salts in the glass gallon jug, have had that in storage for years. That urine came from Wayne Derick , a retired Gov't trapper. He's the real deal for good pee source.:yes:

DSC02669.JPG

I've got to go check and see what machine I have that might even be able to hit them at that depth. I didn't have a metal detector when I buried them. Maybe when I pass on, someone else will dig them up. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom