Metallic Cartridge Case ID Help

Concow Mower

Just out today with my At Pro dinking around in my back yard while it was drizzling. Got a good hit, dug a bit and got out my Pro Pointer. So basically in the surface stuff I find a metallic cartridge case. It looks bigger than I am used to so I clean it up a bit and get out my calipers.
Rim Dia = .633 inch
Rim Thickness = .90 inch
Case Dia = ~.525 inch
Case Length = ~ 1.970+ inch
Case Inside Diameter = Undetermined
Case Material is non magnetic and assumed to be brass
This case makes a 44 rem mag look downright dainty.
Closest thing I could find in my google searches was the 56-56 Spencer but it's a little short thing. This one, the case alone is almost 2 inch long.
Oh, yes, looking down inside the case with a flashlight reveals three small holes arranged in a triangle around the primer. Berdan Primer?????
Images are of the "Unidentified Case" with a 44 Rem Mag & 45 ACP for scale reference.
DSCF1776Cropped-L.jpg

DSCF1781Cropped-L.jpg

DSCF1790Cropped-L.jpg

DSCF1782Cropped-L.jpg

Any Ideas??? :?:
Cheers & HH
Dave

it's a 11.5mmX57R Spanish Reformado Cartridge

Yup, google strikes again. I kept at it, only to find it was a sorta old cartridge, introduced in 1867. :shock: Guess the Spanish used this cartridge in a single shot rolling block rifle they manufactured under a license from Remington. Teddy Rosevelt's troopers faces this rifle / ammo when they strolled up San Juan Hill in Cuba.

SO! How in the wild world of sports did this cartridge case get deposited here in beautiful down town Concow Calif.? :laughing: Most likely would have made a pretty good hunting cartridge for deer, bear, whatever.

It's the closest thing to a "relic" I have dug so far. :lol:

Longhair, you were pretty much correct. Thanks

Cheers & HH
Dave

Still wondering who and when

Groundsweeper, it turns out the rim diameter, thickness and case diameter are pretty much "one of". There seemes to be many old cases with .608" rim diameter, but, no, that's not it.......... You get the picture. The only one that seemed to fit is the 11.5mmX57R Spanish Reformado under old / obselete military cartridges.
Still wondering who discharged that old weapon and when? :?:
Cheers & HH
Dave

Interesting Case

Vermonster, yes, big round. The case dimensions tell the tale, completely.

Did you ID the case you found? :?:

During my google searching I was totally amazed at the number of old / obsolete military rounds that have come and gone over the years. At first I figured I had found a 45-70, 45-90 or maybe even a 45-110 but the case dimensions just didn't fit. So, what the hey, just keep looking and the 11.5X57R Spanish Reformado pops up and is an exact match to the case dimensions. Can't argue with that! :grin:
Cheers
Dave

Nope, found 2 of them a couple weeks apart, and posted each time. No definitive answer.

Need Dimensions to ID

Vermonster, did not see your post(s) so I have no idea of what info you might have provided. If you look back at the first post of this thread and can provide the same amount of detail, there would be a pretty good chance that the case could be ID'ed. I use a cheap digital dial caliper from Harbor Freight (~$20) so it all good. :grin:
DSCF1792-L.jpg

Cheers & HH
Dave

New Data

Just found out that there used to be a little wide spot in the horse & buggy trail called Spanish Town located at or near the current junction of a couple of paved roads. My source indicated the occupants of that little berg would most likely have been out hunting in our area, ~ 3 miles distance. This could get interesting!
Cheers & HH
Dave

Back
Top Bottom