Help ID this Structure?

GoldAudio

I ran across this 12-15 foot square structure made with only rock and mortar. It had a single pitch roof and one door which was screwed shut so I couldn't peek inside. No lower windows but has 2 vents high up on each side. Really curious what this was used for.

Behind the building was a small drainage creek and there were some big slag like chunks all over, like lava rock very light weight. I'm don't think the 2 are related in function because the structure is definitely not a furnace.

Attachments

• 1 (Small).jpeg
    1 (Small).jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 573
  • 2 (Small).jpeg
    2 (Small).jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 3 (Small).jpeg
    3 (Small).jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 596
  • 4 (Small).jpeg
    4 (Small).jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 562
  • 5 (Small).jpeg
    5 (Small).jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 578
  • 6 (Small).jpeg
    6 (Small).jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 553
Was there any sort of mining in the area in the past? There are alot of buildings similar that in MI's UP. The copper mines used them as powder houses. They were typically set a couple hundred yards away from everything else just in case bad magic happens an it go boom. Here is a link to a bunch of examples from up that way. Different build material based on the time and location but all pretty close is size and design. http://www.coppercountryexplorer.com/ruins/powder-house/

Last edited:
Was there any sort of mining in the area in the past? There are alot of buildings similar that in MI's UP. The copper mines used them as powder houses. They were typically set a couple hundred yards away from everything else just in case bag magic happens an it go boom. Here is a link to a bunch of examples from up that way. Different build material based on the time and location but all pretty close is size and design. http://www.coppercountryexplorer.com/ruins/powder-house/

Interesting! Thanks for that you may be onto something.

Could have been a spring house. Before refrigeration the water from the spring would keep it cool inside to store meats and vegetables.

Cliff

Was there any sort of mining in the area in the past? There are alot of buildings similar that in MI's UP. The copper mines used them as powder houses. They were typically set a couple hundred yards away from everything else just in case bag magic happens an it go boom. Here is a link to a bunch of examples from up that way. Different build material based on the time and location but all pretty close is size and design. http://www.coppercountryexplorer.com/ruins/powder-house/

Not to hi-jack, but thank you!

I live in the lead mining region, and see one of those stone buildings maybe 20 x 20 and 15 tall, it sits on the edge a property once owned my the mine. I was going to get around to ask the owner to detect it, I may hold off now. But at least I have a good idea what it probably is.

If it is in the vicinity of a house, or house ruins, I would think smoke house.

If it was owned by a mine, then I would go along with the powder house idea. The doors being screwed shut makes me think this is the real purpose, and that there may be blasting caps and/or sticks of dynamite inside. If the sticks are old, the nitro will have sweated out of them, and they will be extremely dangerous! I'd stay away from it if I were you.

It looks like an old stone structure, which you knew already. Without either getting access to the inside, or researching the property further, (both of which are not hard to do) nobody can tell you 100% what it was for.

Your area had a number of lead mines supplying lead for the Civil War.

Could be related. Take note of the Lat Long of the structure and convert it to township coordinates using an online converter. Your local historical society would have the details on township property ownership, names ect through the years.

Research at home saves time in the field...

Another source of info if you can find them are the old Sanborn insurance maps. Those had a ton of detail in them. My local library has them online that I can access for my area or you may have to go there and see if they have a local history resource room. I had to show a drivers licence and have them unlock the door just to get in there but they had a ton of stuff to research from maps, newspapers, old photos etc. If you need to go that route bring a good camera and take pics of everything even remotely interesting otherwise as soon as you get home you'll wish you had.

Here's a part of a local Sanborn map to show an example of the detail that was put in them at the time.

Attachments

• sanborn.jpg
    sanborn.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
I have made further development... I stand by it being a powder house.

I ran across some old info:

"Local lore says that Union forces stored blasting powder to blow the bridge across the Meramec River in Fenton in case it was in danger of being crossed and prevent an attack on St. Louis and Jefferson Barracks by the Confederate forces led by Sterling Price."

I think the local lore may be true and this is the powder house they stored the explosives in. The bridge is just 2 miles from this powder house along the only road between the two. I'm currently working with the city's historical society to see if we can definitively link the two.

It was a wooden covered toll bridge built in 1854 and used until 1885 when it was replaced with an iron bridge.

Isn't history fun?

I'm still rooting for my initial guess personally but hoping it's something more significant such as a powder store to some local lore for you. :laughing:

For the sake of it I want to play a little devil's advocate and say wouldn't 2 miles be quite a ways to travel with a horse and buggy with explosives? I can't imagine anyone would be crazy enough to haul tnt at full speed on a dirt road for maybe an hours ride. Then they would still need to rig and wore the place. :?:

Powder Magazine

It is a powder magazine. A tall, stone building with a light weight roof. These were made to house powder kegs and explosive ordnance. Could be a mine, could be Frontier era (1850's) or it may be Civil War era (1861-1865). These were normally the only stone buildings in an encampment. Made to blow upwards not out, so the edge of camp was not far from the building. (Less than 300 yards) Most of the time, it was the edge of camp. Relic hunting there would be fun. HH
Rick

I'm still rooting for my initial guess personally but hoping it's something more significant such as a powder store to some local lore for you. :laughing:

For the sake of it I want to play a little devil's advocate and say wouldn't 2 miles be quite a ways to travel with a horse and buggy with explosives? I can't imagine anyone would be crazy enough to haul tnt at full speed on a dirt road for maybe an hours ride. Then they would still need to rig and wore the place. :?:

I hear you but... no evidence of smoke coming out of those vents. Somebody knows what this is so there will be a conclusion here. It has been "saved" by someone. I'm working on it with the local historians who were quite happy to have something to do now haha. Good point about not blowing ones self up while rushing to the job :D

Back
Top Bottom