High School field parking lot & baseball coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmxt hunter

FUN VICTORY This saturday
I was doing a small town tour just crusing and looking for cool spots to hunt. I like to just go for a cruse and when I see a spot stop and swing. I spot the baseball field that is away from the school by a mile and I know it is school property. There are a few high school players having practice and I pull into the lot. I already have pouch and knee pads on I just have to hop out and grab the magic MXT wand and start swinging.
I dug my first plug and I Look and there he is with his baseball bat, THE COACH!
DO YOU HAVE PERMISSION he says. I look up and say I did not call the school. NOW mind you im on the outter fringe of the gravel parking lot, just barely in the dirt with a 4 in diam hole 5 in deep and a clean plug. I proceed to say I fill in all my holes I take all trash like this nail and screw i have in my pouch.

HE got all puffed up and started in with well this is school property and he is responsable for it blah bla blah. When he paused I simply said well this is public school and public property.
THAT blew him out of the water he just clutched his little baseball bat and walked off. I stayed and hunted for about 30 min
ent toooo shea !!!! CHEERS:laughing:

Haha some people and their power trips, but he could have just asked nicely to wait til after practice instead. Typically I wait for it to not be used for school functions or team sports when I swing. Especially if there are kids there. You just never know what can happen or what one can be accused of because of someone just like you encountered. All its gonna take is for him to go whine to the school and BAM there is a not metal detecting sign posted up all nice and shiney and new looking..... :mad:

.... Typically I wait for it to not be used for school functions or team sports when I swing....

BensJamming, I'll be the devil's advocate here, with what you just said:

What do you say to those persons, who ... upon reading this advice to avoid potential busy-body/gripers. and go at lower traffic times, is: "Sneaking around". Or "ninja". And so forth ? Some persons look at such a stance as simply proof that .... well ... you "must be doing something illegal".

This has been the answer I've gotten , when offering your stance as as a solution to such encounters. Thus, how do you answer that?

Not trying to be ninja or stealthy but rather respect what the place was built for. Most places I have gotten permission to hunt like this have been with the stipulation of it not being used for its intended purpose. If were just some adult out playing a friendly game then id be all over it. Guess its just the type of respect I was taught growing up. Id gladly give that guy my name if he wanted to "report" me to the authorities since I have nothing to hide nor am doing anything wrong. Just dont want another excuse of me being in the way or distracting the team as an argument of why detecting shouldnt be allowed there.

Sent from a hidden menu within my AT Pro

Not trying to be ninja or stealthy but rather respect what the place was built for....

"Respect" eh ? Such was the answer I offered those who considered this stance "ninja" . But it didn't fly.

As far as someone citing ... as a reason for a scram ... about the "intended use of the field", well let me ask you a question: When was the last time you ever saw ANY place on earth, where the "intended use" was metal detecting ? :?:

I wonder what he will say to the next guy that stops and asks permission to hunt his private property. And I wonder what he will tell his friends that own a place that possibly some one may try and get permission.

BensJamming, I'll be the devil's advocate here, with what you just said:

What do you say to those persons, who ... upon reading this advice to avoid potential busy-body/gripers. and go at lower traffic times, is: "Sneaking around". Or "ninja". And so forth ? Some persons look at such a stance as simply proof that .... well ... you "must be doing something illegal".

This has been the answer I've gotten , when offering your stance as as a solution to such encounters. Thus, how do you answer that?

Just curious Tom, do you just cruise around looking to start a fight so you can hijack someones thread?

BensJamming, I agree with you that it is much better just to wait until the ballfield is not being used. I do the same thing when I am hunting parks. I don't go into a totlot when there are children in there playing. I just think that it's just asking for trouble if you are being that conspicuous.

"Respect" eh ? Such was the answer I offered those who considered this stance "ninja" . But it didn't fly.

When was the last time you ever saw ANY place on earth, where the "intended use" was metal detecting ? :?:

Tom not sure what your trying to do here other then maybe cause a big flaming war, but when the last time you seen ANY place on earth the sole intended use was hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, etc..... I hope you see my point. If someone took the time, effort, and money to put in a nice baseball field so they had a spot to play their sport, I respect that fact and try and do my part to not cause waves. The place was built with a specific need to keep others safe from balls flying out in the road, hitting pedestrians, houses, etc... You would want them out practicing on your tree lawn hitting balls by your stuff possibly damaging it just because its "public property and they can".

We chose this hobby knowing that there is specific spots designated for strictly MDin. Just the same if you hunter you cant just walk on to public land anytime you choose and shoot a deer. It has to be within times that are allowed and in areas that are allowed.

I am not here to argue, nor do I want too. Take it for whats it worth, you asked for my opinion and there it is. I have a right to it and if you dont agree, thats fine by me. Either way I mean no bad intentions with anything I write but rather just trying to convey how I am looking at the situation since you asked.

I am heading back out to swing some more now that its nice out. Happy hunting and hope you guys find some great stuff.

Even if it's is a school or a city land l always go and ask (no phone or email) for permission. So if someone ask me what, where, when, how or who l just drop the name of the person who gave me permission. That ends the problem and l just continue on detecting.
Always try to talk with the person asking, may get another place to hunt.:lol:

Tom not sure what your trying to do here other then maybe cause a big flaming war...

I agreed with you. Not contrary to you. But when I'd posted such a thing saying exactly that, it was met with opposition. Just wondered why.

FUN VICTORY This saturday
I was doing a small town tour just crusing and looking for cool spots to hunt. I like to just go for a cruse and when I see a spot stop and swing. I spot the baseball field that is away from the school by a mile and I know it is school property. There are a few high school players having practice and I pull into the lot. I already have pouch and knee pads on I just have to hop out and grab the magic MXT wand and start swinging.
I dug my first plug and I Look and there he is with his baseball bat, THE COACH!
DO YOU HAVE PERMISSION he says. I look up and say I did not call the school. NOW mind you im on the outter fringe of the gravel parking lot, just barely in the dirt with a 4 in diam hole 5 in deep and a clean plug. I proceed to say I fill in all my holes I take all trash like this nail and screw i have in my pouch.

HE got all puffed up and started in with well this is school property and he is responsable for it blah bla blah. When he paused I simply said well this is public school and public property.
THAT blew him out of the water he just clutched his little baseball bat and walked off. I stayed and hunted for about 30 min
ent toooo shea !!!! CHEERS:laughing:

You should feel lucky the coach was rational, and showed restraint. Baseball bat VS. Leache, got a hunt the bat would have won. Not to mention a team, his team as witnesses, most, probably would have said, "I didn't see nuthin', others would have commented on you lunging at the coach, with a 'Rambo' style knife. Teams work together, right? Personally, I doubt it happened (no pictures, never happened). With all the people flying of in violent rampages these days, can't believe there are people who would be so stupid an light the fuse deliberately. Of course, if the coach had expressed his rage, I'm sure the local taxpayers would have be happy to compensate you for your pain and suffering. After your lawyer takes his share of that settlement money, certainly you should have enough left to pay someone to stop by and change you diaper and clean you up once a day. Probably wouldn't seem quite as funny, even with a settlement check...

Tom, your position has been examined thoroughly, and in great detail. You made it quite clear, you night hunting was to dodge person of authority, grounds keepers/city workers, who would run you off (again), not just other citizens out enjoying the public facilities. You sneak around, don't even ninja, or 'run silently', since you brag every chance online, about how you beat the man. Simple Google search, tells your life story, and doesn't help the hobby much, with those who aren't in it.

To the OP, you handled it well. I dont take hostility to well and walking up in my personal space "clutching" a baseball bat and spouting off at the mouth would have did nothing but lit my fuse. Good job. I think Tom is just trying say he agrees with what you are saying and since these types of scenario's is what interest him he decided to chime in and make convo. nothing more (Look up "forum"). To Harvey, read above and see MY stance on who should have felt lucky that someone showed restraint,not all are cowards. Your response to the OP was he should feel lucky that the douche of a coach didnt hit him with the bat and the whole team side with the douche. If you are saying the coach could have hit him and got away with it. Im sure all them kids wouldnt say a thing after just seeing their role model get bloody physical beating a guy with a ball bat for MDing around a gravel parking lot. SEEMS OUT THERE HARVEY. You and a few others seem to like comparing mding with such far fetched other things, i wont go into examples list is to long. This one though seems to take a violent side and should be read carefully to see how much you and that "DOUCHE" coach had in common.

You should feel lucky the coach was rational, and showed restraint.

Tom, your position has been examined thoroughly, and in great detail. .[/QUOTE]

Only two comments:

1) I don't know ksmxt, so for all I know...the coach may have been the "lucky one" here.

2) Harv, your position has been examined thoroughly, and in great detail.:quote:

... Harv, your position has been examined thoroughly, and in great detail.:quote:...

haha, yes I guess that works both ways, now doesn't it ? I'm the first to admit this topic is the "bee in my bonnett", so ... yes.... I've thrown out the topic on occasion as the starting OP. But in all the rest, they're actual questions and cases put up for discussion by others, not me. Anyhow, yes, the passion can work both ways.

Was wondering the other day, if those who feel they own public land, and are entitled to hunt it all, are taxpaying property owners, or people who rent (no taxes). I've only rented twice, and just briefly, but basically, you couldn't do much, without asking permission, and usually the answer was 'NO', so it was better not to ask, and just go for it. Slim chance of getting the deposit back without a fight anyway. Basically, you've got use of the apartment, a parking spot, maybe laundry (quicker/easier to go to a laundromat or relative's house), so outdoor activities were taken to parks and public land. Never really cared for apartment living, maybe it takes more than a year to get the hang of it. Just like my own space to do as I please, make my own repairs and alterations, fewer neighbors.

Was wondering the other day, if those who feel they own public land, and are entitled to hunt it all, are taxpaying property owners, or people who rent (no taxes). I've only rented twice, and just briefly, but basically, you couldn't do much, without asking permission, and usually the answer was 'NO', so it was better not to ask, and just go for it. Slim chance of getting the deposit back without a fight anyway. Basically, you've got use of the apartment, a parking spot, maybe laundry (quicker/easier to go to a laundromat or relative's house), so outdoor activities were taken to parks and public land. Never really cared for apartment living, maybe it takes more than a year to get the hang of it. Just like my own space to do as I please, make my own repairs and alterations, fewer neighbors.

Guess that's one perspective. I always felt a renter was paying all the costs & expenses associated with the ownership of the property along with a profit factor. In other words, a monthly rent payment includes an amount for taxes which compensates the owner (on a monthly basis) so they can pay the property taxes when they come due (annually). So, by my way of thinking...a renter does pay property taxes. I've rented a few times in my life and my lease agreement always spelled out the terms and conditions of property use so I'd just read it [research, not permission], so I knew going into the lease what my freedoms were and I expected both parties to the lease to adhere to all terms. Funny, always got my deposits back ... never had an issue. I also prefer to own my own space, but not everyone has the choice. Never felt it made them any different than me.

Either belief really doesn't matter, at best a person whether they rent or are paying a mortgage, is only paying taxes it ONE town. The OP openly said he will do big loops driving around. I'm sure most here dig on ANY field regardless if it's in their town or city. From what I've seen "if it looks good, dig it" seems to be the motto by the majority. Of course we set a code of conduct, by hey, who really follows that right?

Was really thinking more about attitude. People who rent, don't carry the burden of responsibilities and obligations of a property owner, their landlord takes care of everything. Renters don't typically have to interact with the city, over land and property issues, code violations. Pretty much do what they want, someone else fixes it. Their only concern is not breaking the terms of the lease and getting evicted, or losing their deposit.

As far as someone citing ... as a reason for a scram ... about the "intended use of the field", well let me ask you a question: When was the last time you ever saw ANY place on earth, where the "intended use" was metal detecting ? :?:

Will you cut it out already, this was shaping up to a nice thread until you start pulling people into your arguments. When you start your poop, the usual suspects chime in then the whole thread turns into, well you know what.

What the heck dude, save it for your own threads.

You can have all the ask, don't ask conversations you want. The bottom line is those that don't want to ask chose not to do so because of the "guy behind the desk having a bad day might say NO" they do that because they WANT what THEY WANT and will do whatever to get their way. Atleast have the stones to hitch your wagon to the truth........

Stones huh? Here's the truth: I don't ask for something I don't have a right to; I don't need to ask permission to do something [MDing] I already know I have a legal right to do; ... AND, I don't let "the guy behind the desk" dictate what kind of day I'm going to have. My thought is that if all MDers follow the Code of Ethics and treat all others with respect, life is good. IF IT'S NOT ILLEGAL, IT'S LEGAL. Doesn't mean I don't have stones (to use your terms) and doesn't mean I don't "hitch my (your) wagon to the truth". MY OPINION IS THIS: The more you ask for permission to MD ANY PUBLICLY OWNED PROPERTY, THE MORE LIKELY IT IS THAT THE PROPERTY WILL BE BANNED. Simple statement which really isn't in need of hypothetical interpretation or twisting to fit the 'ask permission' agenda.

As stated, it's just my opinion. If you don't like it, that's ok with me but you man up and put your stones away. I happen to be very comfortable dealing with all levels & types of 'authority' in all types of scenarios, guess you could call it a combination of knowledge, research and experience.

It is also my opinion that there are some forum member's with a personal agenda to get ALL PUBLICLY OWNED LANDS TO BAN MDing. So guess I'll ask straight out: Uptown, are you a archaeologist, closet archaeologist (or wannabe) or do you have a personal agenda when it come to the 'permission issue' since you've now employed the "stones" diversionary tactic? Understand, I don't really care IF YOU ARE OR NOT ... but you're the one talking "hitching you wagon to the truth". Could you, Uptown please explain your agenda. I asked Harv this question and got a bit of subterfuge in return, never got a flat out NO. It really is a yes or no type question that doesn't require a long winded response ...maybe just some stones (to use your words).

To be clear again to all forum members: My agenda is simply to keep more PUBLICLY OWNED LANDS from implementing bans on MDing. Simple & straight forward. And I think I'm almost up to 150 posts:whoohoo:. Nuff said.

Nope... not a archie, not a want a be archie, just a plain old carpenter. What my agenda is that I am a baseball coach on anyone of these fields that you or others like you think you have the "right" to start popping plugs on. I DO NOT MD IN ANY AREA I HAVE NOT ASKED. I hardly ever hear no. Then again, I don't go to areas that I feel the need to go ninja for some dropped pocket change or in hopes of someone losing their wedding band while having a picnic.

I can tell you right now for certain....If I EVER saw someone pop a plug on my towns baseball field that I spend countless hours of MY time, and pay the taxes I do, vol. for Rec. Committe meeting to make sure the money is being used properly to take care of THE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, AND SOCCER fields. Notice how they are not called METEL DETECTING fields??? I would be at every monthly town meeting making sure that there was, from that point on a sign up that clearly stated "No metel detecting" (I wouldn't want to confuse anyone with a "no digging policy" Like certain members have posted about skating around the wording). Where the rest of the selectmen decide to go from there, is up to them, but hey who knows maybe they'd make sure a sign went up everywhere on town property. So don't give me your song and dance about asking gets property shut down. For instance, if someone came to me while I was raking the field, and asked "can I detect there". I would tell them I'd rather they not, but to talk to the rec director. At that point we would engage in a conversation about MDing. If said person is not a Richard Cranium, I would invite them to hunt with me on the 1000's of acres I have permission on due to ASKING PERMISSION AND BEING GIVEN IT.

How do you have the "right" to go to another town that you don't even pay taxes in and MD on that field? Tell me it doesn't happen. Everyone that does it thinks they have the "right" to do so. What gives you that "right"? Do you have kids in a program? Do you vol. any time in your community? Were you such a bad athlete as a kid you just don't care about sports, so those that do, and maintain an area for them to be conducted on, NOT be upset with your self entitlement?

Again, when it comes to "rights" read my post about "rights" A couple posts back in reference to the schools and ball fields being better. How is your way any different.

Where to start? My apologies to the rest of the forum...it's going to be a long one. OK, here's my first thought on your post:

Nope... not a archie, not a want a be archie, just a plain old carpenter. What my agenda is that I am a baseball coach on anyone of these fields that you or others like you think you have the "right" to start popping plugs on. I DO NOT MD IN ANY AREA I HAVE NOT ASKED. I hardly ever hear no. Then again, I don't go to areas that I feel the need to go ninja for some dropped pocket change or in hopes of someone losing their wedding band while having a picnic.

Response 1: Thank you for clearing that up with a direct answer...and I do respect direct answers. So, your not an "archie", but your a 'enforcer' type that's willing to interfere with another MDer who is out legally MDing by asking them to not dare use their lesche on your field ... is that a fair statement? In my neck of the woods, we call that sticking your nose in somebody else's business, even to the extent of 'being a bully'. Please understand, I think you have every right to seek a MD ban anywhere you would want to seek a MD ban. But, I do think you're letting your volunteering to groom the ballpark and with being a coach interfere with logic. BTW, NINJA has nothing to do with this, so quit with the Ninja subterfuge. So, now we have determined that your real agenda is to get ballfields banned to MDers should they ever dare to put a lesche in the ground anywhere you don't want them to do this.

So don't give me your song and dance about asking gets property shut down. For instance, if someone came to me while I was raking the field, and asked "can I detect there". I would tell them I'd rather they not, but to talk to the rec director. At that point we would engage in a conversation about MDing. If said person is not a Richard Cranium, I would invite them to hunt with me on the 1000's of acres I have permission on due to ASKING PERMISSION AND BEING GIVEN IT.

Response 2:

I don't dance too well and being "Richard Cranium" doesn't matter, Richard Cranium, REALLY:laughing:. What you would tell them ("I'd rather they not, but to talk to the rec director") overreaches your rights. You have no legal rights to interfere with anyone who is legally MDing, or conducting any legal activity on PUBLIC PROPERTY. You certainly have the right to tell them you'd rather they not, and you can ask them if they would first check with the rec. director, but to give the directive to "...talk to the rec director is inappropriate. For me, I'd just tell you to 'buzz off'. Of course, you could at that point go get the parks director, or a leo, mayor, or whoever...WHATEVER.

How do you have the "right" to go to another town that you don't even pay taxes in and MD on that field? Tell me it doesn't happen. Everyone that does it thinks they have the "right" to do so. What gives you that "right"? Do you have kids in a program? Do you vol. any time in your community? Were you such a bad athlete as a kid you just don't care about sports, so those that do, and maintain an area for them to be conducted on, NOT be upset with your self entitlement?

Response 3:

The law gives me the right to go to another town that I don't pay taxes in and MD on that PUBLIC PROPERTY if the law does not ban MDing on that PUBLIC PROPERTY. If it's not illegal, it's legal. Imagine that, I can use another city's park for MD (if not banned), or kite flying (if not banned), or other activities (if not banned) without asking the local volunteer's, baseball and soccer coaches, parks dept. secretary, groundskeepers, etc. All of your other comments about "kids in programs", "volunteering time in the community", me being a "bad athlete" is not relevant to the discussion (i.e. superfluous BS). You certainly have the right to seek changes in the ordinances in your town that would ban all NON-taypaying visitors from using YOUR parks. IMO , seems a bit inconsiderate, controlling, selfish, childish, etc., ...but you certainly have that right.

As for being an athlete, I see no need to go there. I'll just leave that up to your imagination.

Well, kinda sums it up, IMO.

Oh, one more thought Uptown: IF IT'S NOT ILLEGAL, IT'S LEGAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom