A First Year Detecting: 2019 In Review (Finally)

PrussianBleu

Now that January 2020 is practically over and I've finally gotten around to getting all this stuff together; here is my 2019 wrap-up.

All things considered, I was very pleased with how my first year of metal detecting turned out. I can honestly say that I would have never guessed before last year that this hobby would have such an impact on my life, but I'm very glad that we have all gone down this road. I met a bunch of good people, notably IDXMonster, Trapper (jack&jill), and Dewsweeper, without whom I would have not nearly as much success as I was able to. I'm very happy to call these men my friends and are all a credit to the hobby. :mder:

In addition to the friends and connections that I made, I ended the year with 17 silver coins. Two of these I would consider "demonstration" or "shared" finds, but they all reside at my domicile.:D I was also able to recover a single Indian Head Cent, which is one of those recoveries the memory of which will always stick out in my mind. Two Buffs and 57 Wheat Cents were also notable recoveries; I've decided to show two 1920s that came out in particularly good shape. Favorite finds this year were my IHP, the 1908 S Barber Quarter, my 191X SLQ, and my 1863 Civil War token, the latter also being my oldest IDable find. I recovered $76.43 in total face-value coinage.

Metal Detecting is important to me because it connects us to personally and tangibly to the past. It is a very powerful feeling for me, as an individual obsessed with history, when I pull these items from the ground and are instantly linked to the people who lost them so long ago. It makes me wonder who the people that lost these coins and items were, how did they live, what did they eventually go on to do, and what their legacy was. It is about as close to time travel as I can currently get and it's a wonderful thing.:D How puzzled people of the past must be that we spend so much of our time and treasure to seek what they (and some of our contemporaries) could have considered so trivial and insignificant. But they mean so much to people like us.

Many thanks and Happy Hunting to all this year!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 422
Those are some pretty pictures Anthony, all worked hard for and well deserved. It is GREAT to see someone who has such a complete view of what you want to find and how to go about it, not everyone has the intuition to put it all together like that. The absolute NEED to go hunting AND BE SUCCESSFUL IN FINDING WHAT YOU WANT TO FIND compels you to do the mapping, the snooping, the driving... and to notice things others might not. These turn out to be the traits of someone who can find old coins AT WILL, as opposed to someone who trips over one purely by chance. This season will easily see you in the 50+ range with some really good finds again I’m sure. It’s just what happens when you know the TYPE of place to hunt and HOW to hunt it.
Now we just need to get your work schedule switched around!:lol: Congratulations on a stellar start buddy!

Great first year wrap up PB .

Congratulations on all the firsts this year .
Looking forward to 2020 and getting together again .

For now , think spring and pop in season one of , The Detectorist on Netflix .
Work on some old maps and research.
Love the wrap up .
,Dew

Nice first year! 2019 was also my first year and I’m definitely jealous of all that silver!

Congrats!

When it comes to old coin hunting in the USA, I think there are VERY few detectorists who have a first year with this good of results! Simply put, the ones who do have great results are the ones who A) put in the time and effort, and B) learn from good teachers. You've been doing both quite well. Keep it up. I hope to hunt with you guys this year, and want to see some "Wow" moments.

I feel the same way! Well said. I feel connected to the past with each find and love the history!

Great first year! Took me several years to find my first barber quarter or SLQ so you are off to a great start! Looking forward to all your 2020 finds posts! HH!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anthony, just want to say that it was nothing but pleasure hunting with you this last year and so very happy that you have found some great success. Looking forward to getting in a lot more time with you and Kevin in 2020. Huge congrats my friend and I'm very sure the road to further success is in your future. Trapper

Fellow Wisconsinite. Congratulations on a stellar 1st year. Truly a lot of great finds. I agree with the other comments in that should have a better year this year. Your writing of the significants of those who lost these coins and what they mean to us are spot on. Whenever I find an older coin, I always wonder who lost it and what the loss of that coin meant to them. 25 cents lost 100 years ago meant a lot back then. Great writing and good luck in 2020. PJ

Back
Top Bottom