Silver, Indian And A Old Dog Tag

Trapper, congrats on the Rosie and your 1st IHP FTY The dogtag is cool as well. I managed to get out twice this week for a couple of hours each in the afternoon where I got the 2 Rosies last week. A major mud fest netting less than .50 clad and 3 wheaties. Oh well at least I was able to get out. Our temps are in the freezer here also. Stay warm. Mark
Thank you Mark. It was a very enjoyable hunt but probably the last for a while. Really happy to dig the Indian and keep the Silver streak going. Weather will dictate the next outing so I am saying my prayers for a heat wave.:yes: Trapper
Congrats Trapper on the silver and indian!! I love old dog tags too!!
Thanks Travis. Digging a Indian is like winning the lottery for me. For that matter it's kinda the same with Silver too. Trapper

Thats something for a mid January in Wisconsin! Just this week, the fish houses have been popping up on the new ice here...the dirt just froze maybe 3 days ago...I'm Gonna get out and watch the Mooner Eclipse tonight, its as clear as a bell here in West Michigan...

How was the fur season for you this year buddy? I'd like to see and hear about your season...Theres a little grey fox that works around the dumpster and shrubs here at the olde folks home...I've never seen him, but I enjoy seeing his tracks in the snow...He cuts through this one tight spot so I could easily snare him if I wanted to....but I dont....I could, but I dont, and thats a strange yet comforting feeling!...:lol: Now if he was worth $50..that would be a different story for poor old him! :laughing:

Congrats on the IHP and silver! That dog tag is a really cool find, is it made out of copper? I've found two old dog tax tags. One expired in 1920 and the other in 1922...both are aluminum.
Thank you Scott for the kind words. I think the tag is brass. They did not use aluminum here until the 70's. Trapper
love that dog tag!!! Congratulations
Thanks you Digger for the reply. The Dog Tag is the oldest I have ever dug. I have seen others dig some pretty neat ones that are older. Trapper

Thats something for a mid January in Wisconsin! Just this week, the fish houses have been popping up on the new ice here...the dirt just froze maybe 3 days ago...I'm Gonna get out and watch the Mooner Eclipse tonight, its as clear as a bell here in West Michigan...

How was the fur season for you this year buddy? I'd like to see and hear about your season...Theres a little grey fox that works around the dumpster and shrubs here at the olde folks home...I've never seen him, but I enjoy seeing his tracks in the snow...He cuts through this one tight spot so I could easily snare him if I wanted to....but I dont....I could, but I dont, and thats a strange yet comforting feeling!...:lol: Now if he was worth $50..that would be a different story for poor old him! :laughing:
Dirt fishing has come to a abrupt halt here in the Tundra also. Your very right John about the Wisconsin Winters. The Sturgeon Shacks are aligning the East and West shores of Winnebago. And every iced over pot hole has a dozen or more heavy clad jiggers punching holes through the frozen surface hoping to land a few Panfish for a fine table fare. I have hung up the steel for another season, that is unless I get a call the pays me well to remove a problem. With the snow now on the ground it's time to hang a few cables to take the numbers of some song dogs down. Used to walk miles on snowshoes to intersect their tracks and find a pinch points to put a noose upon them. Now I have a half dozen travel ways I use and just take a few to keep me interested. If Wisconsin Coyotes would pay like those of Montana or Wyoming I might make a lot more effort. Hence your Grey Fox. Trapper
Boy you guys are hardcore!:lol: Well done gentlemen!
We had a couple of late season hunts that were a bit on the cold side Kevin But I am very happy to have been able to dig a couple of trophy's this early in 2019. It will keep the thoughts in the game as the ground won't cooperate again for a while I fear. Wished we could have got you to get that last one in with us. Now its time to look for those new grounds to help us be respectable in our counts for the new year. Looking forward to sharing a lot more adventures this year. Trapper

year is looking good for you!! my fist indian was a green 1903. waiting to get out here as well, snow on the ground, they call me iceman around here cause i hunt sometimes in frozen ground with hammer and screw driver, but sticking with my hollywood,congrats on a nice hunt!

Pretty decent haul there. Good thing you got out while you could, and dug those special finds. I hope to discover a really old dog tag like that someday.
No snow up here; just cold. :cold:

That’s a cool tag, I love finding stuff like that. Congrats on the finds.
Thank you Jason. The Dog Tag is neat but the best is being able to do some digging in Wisconsin in January, Its done for now but the thrill of being able to detect in Winter has been great. Adding a few Silver and now a Indian makes it even better. Trapper
year is looking good for you!! my fist indian was a green 1903. waiting to get out here as well, snow on the ground, they call me iceman around here cause i hunt sometimes in frozen ground with hammer and screw driver, but sticking with my hollywood,congrats on a nice hunt!
One of my good hunting buddies Dewsweeper, has a son we here have labeled him also as Hollywood or the Hollywood Kid. He is a young gun that is already very productive in this hobby and for a old guy like me a complete joy to share the hunting grounds with. I wish I was better on digging Indians but my ears are attuned to digging Silver. This year I hope to change that a bit and maybe build a tribe. Weather will dictate how soon that may happen as the next 10 days look like the ice age is coming back. Trapper

Congrats on the old finds and adding another silver to the count Trapper. Hopefully a warm spell comes along soon to thaw out the ground!

Pretty decent haul there. Good thing you got out while you could, and dug those special finds. I hope to discover a really old dog tag like that someday.
No snow up here; just cold. :cold:
Just the idea of dirt hunting in January Blaise is it own reward. Extra soaks, long underwear and hand warmers are all part of the uniform. The recoveries are the icing, even if its difficult to pick them up with double gloved hands. Another snowstorm is predicted for latter today and sub zero temps to follow. I am trying to stay positive as it is only five weeks until March.Looking forward to Spring a better digging. Trapper
Congrats on some nice finds!
Thank you for your response Sataro, it is appreciated. I don't usually get to many opportunities to dig in January so these finds are special for me. Trapper

Congrats on the old finds and adding another silver to the count Trapper. Hopefully a warm spell comes along soon to thaw out the ground!
Thank you Fred as your response is appreciated. The Rosie is Silver number 4 for the year so I'm quite pleased to this years start, Right now the Tundra is in the Ice Box and it will be weeks before we get out for another attempt at digging. Trapper

Wow Trap , it's good to see you and mike out for another hunt in January.
Saturday morning.
I am drinking my coffee ☕️.
Temperature is -20
I am considering hibernation.

Congradulations on the first Indian of 2019 and the silver .

Great to see the post .
,Dew

Always good stuff when you post your finds, Trapper.

I know you get some brutal winters but the trade off is summers that rank with the best in the country.

Thank you Vic, appreciate the reply. Trapper

Thanks Bruce, I don't dig a lot of Indians but hope to do so more this year. Was hoping Winter would continue to stall and I could get in a few more hunts but I guess Mother Nature had other plans. Trapper

j&j I hunt a lot and maybe might average 2 or 3 a year. When I find a IHP it’s like Christmas!! I know what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on those nice finds!
Thank you Twizzler for your reply. Winter arrived so getting back out will have to wait a while. I'm happy to have been able to do a little digging in January in Wisconsin. Trapper
Wow Trap , it's good to see you and mike out for another hunt in January.
Saturday morning.
I am drinking my coffee ☕️.
Temperature is -20
I am considering hibernation.
Congradulations on the first Indian of 2019 and the silver .
Great to see the post .
,Dew
Thanks Brad. Seems all I've done since this hunt is shovel snow. The banks along the driveway are getting pretty high. Should have got out a couple more times before this weather arrived, hind sight. Been looking for some new sights for after the thaw but that is going slow. Looks as if I will have to spend a lot more time in the big city. No matter a drive of over a hour in any direction for new grounds seems like the future. Stay well my friend as we have a lot of new adventures coming up this year. Trapper

Love the old dog tag, Winter arrived here in Baltimore this week too. 12 degree temp's Lucky for us we don't stay as cold for as long as you guy's do. All last week everyone at the house was sick with the funk :roll: this week 12 degrees.

Glad you could enjoy one more hunt until the thaw! Congratulations on the nice finds. :waytogo:

Back
Top Bottom