Fun hunt, not real old bottles

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Inspired by what others have been finding and posting about I went digging in a trash pile at an old home site. There is an old outhouse there, and a couple of other still standing buildings but no house. How could there be no trace of a house. It must have burnt up.

Due to my age and lack of endurance, I didn't dig too deep or might have found older. The best bottle is probably the Teel perfume bottle. "Teel" is embossed on the top. Googled it, and found out that the top is made of a pre-plastic material called bakelite. It was invented in 1909 (which obviously way precedes this bottle). It is a brittle material and was used in telephones, jewelry, and to encase electric things like light bulb fixtures or toggle switches. I have several bottles with this type of screw cap and never realized what it was.

Both of the small white bottles says Musterole, Cleveland. This was something used for children's congestion, something like a mustard plaster but more convenient. From the 30's or 40's.

There is a small brown bottle with the word Lysol embossed.

A ubiquitous Dr R V Pierce bottle, Buffalo NY It is kind of green in color.

These were all real muddy inside. I put popcorn inside and shook real good and got most of the mud and green stuff out.

Happy New Year to all.

Attachments

• DSCN4400.JPG
    DSCN4400.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN4404.JPG
    DSCN4404.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN4403.JPG
    DSCN4403.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN4406.JPG
    DSCN4406.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN4405.JPG
    DSCN4405.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN4407.JPG
    DSCN4407.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 127
Nice work getting out and finding some bottles. My son and I bring home tons of stuff that others would probably toss back or leave there, but we have fun doing it.

You should definitely go back and look around for more stuff and keep posting pictures of the things you find.

I've seen bakelite jewelry selling for good money - the stuff definitely has a thick plastic look to it.

That one on the left in the first pic with the black cap looks like a "Halo" shampoo bottle.

Yeah, bakelite has a unique smell when you scratch into it. Those old telephones we all once had were bakelite.

Attachments

• Halo-Vintage-Glass-Shampoo-Bottle-With-Contents.jpg
    Halo-Vintage-Glass-Shampoo-Bottle-With-Contents.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 123
Glasshopper, thank you for ID'ing that bottle! I just figured that one would be impossible to id with no writing. That just makes my day, thank you so much! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom