Sunday Hunt

Jakk

I made it out to the beach, today. Hit one out in Olalla that I've been talking about and then one that I had hit before. I found 4 pennies and nothing else of real interest. I scanned the 3 best finds besides my 4 pennies, only 1 copper and no wheaties, still.

July2708.jpg

Left is a rock that made my detector go crazy. It really confuses me when I'm hunting a rocky beach and the target is actually one of the rocks. If I had a machine with a read out I'd tell you the VDI reading on it, but for now I can only tell you it makes it go beep. :lol:
Middle I believe is an old square nail. It was on the beach that has been used since the 1800s.
Right is just something weird I found. It looks kind of like a piece of petrified wood, but it's metal.

If anyone is an expert or claims to be about rocks and metallic ones, just message me with you MSN/ Window's Live ID IF YOU Have one. I have a fairly good webcam that I could use to give you a closer view to help me ID the rock.It's not shiny at all, so I'm lost.

I'd love for it to be a meteorite. Where would I go to have it checked? Is there anything I can do at home?

Your rock looks like a wad of melted aluminum.. if its not that then its probably just a hot rock and usually hot rocks tone is different then a piece of metal its a softer mellow sound..

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy these last few days and haven't even gotten to go out to detect.

The rock definitely isn't a melted piece of aluminum. I have a few of those and you can tell by the feel.

My detector is in the car, so I can't do that until later. I just went and got a magnet, the magnet sticks to the rock. I don't know if that helps with any conclusions or not.

Two signs it may be a meteorite: comes up as a nickel on the detector since they often have a high nickel content, and is magnetic. I've found two that look like the may be, about the same size. There are a couple good websites. meteorite-indentification.com is one, and there's links to free verification sites. Most places want you to cut a piece off and send them in. Mine are too small to cut up, and I'd rather fantasize about them being real, than be told that they're plain rocks!

If I had a ace or some other machine with a digital readout, I'd go and see what it came up as. Right now, though, all I can do is hear a beep. I could try to discrim out nickels, since they're so easy to discrim, and see if it still picks up the rock.

Back
Top Bottom