New SEF coil on the Sovereign

kered

I haven't been out in earnest this last week and a bit cos we have the local fiestas and I took the time to do some trials with a new coil I purchased for the Minelab Sovereign (with the loose change I found on the previous 4 outings) The Coil is the Detech SEF (Symmetrical Electromagnetic Field) 15" x 12" butterfly coil.

Although it looks big and heavy I can't tell the difference between it and the Coiltek Wot 15" I use at present, balance once mounted on the shaft seems the same too.

First time out me and my son went to a local beach for an hour (just in case) which turned into 2, to give it a try, he went with the Sovereign XS2aPro/Wot 15" and me with the Sov Elite and the new coil. The idea was for him to find something deep and see if I could ping it too. I set him up as he usually uses my MXT and away he went, I had to give him a head start as two sovereigns close together interfere with one another regardless of changing channels, I then followed in his steps to see if I could find anything he had missed, I didn't.

What I did notice when I switched on was that at the usual Sensitivity setting it was much quieter, I usually run the Wot at about 10 o’clock(a bit Hot), i.e. with some falsing, to gain a bit of depth, but this thing I could crank it up all the way just out of Auto with no sign of falsing, I even let it crash into the dry sand which always sets the Wot off with a false ping, nothing, I started to worry, hmm maybe its busted was my first thought.
Then it started going crazy, I hadn’t noticed but my son had stopped on a deepish target and I nearly walked into him. I was picking up interference from his machine. He switched off and I passed over the ground where he had picked something up and was surprised at the loud ping I got, definitely not sounding deep to me, I switched off and tried his machine on the same target, not really deep but not half as loud as mine.

Rather than dig it in the normal way with the spade I decided to do it by hand to see the actual depth. Although we were on the dry once down a couple of inches it gets damp and is easier to hand dig, with the aid of the Sunray probe (which incidentally went haywire with so much gain until I turned down a bit) it was easy to home in on the target without disturbing it, it was between 10 and 11”, I have my shovel shaft marked in cm and it was about 27.5cm down. Not bad, a reasonable faint 2 way with the wot and a definite 2 way loud ping for the SEF. I was a bit happier so off we went again, we carried on with mostly newly dropped coins so we decided to concentrate on that before someone else did and ended up with 32.20€($51.03) not bad for just over 2 hours considering we were testing some of the targets with both machines before digging.

Just before leaving for dinner I went down to the water as it was nearly high tide to see how it would cope in the salty water, no problems at all, I did have to crack back on the sensitivity a bit but still higher than the Wot on the dry

Attachments

• 15x12SEF.jpg
    15x12SEF.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,623
the above post i had writen in Word(it checks my spelling :lol:) ready to post but didn't get time yesterday.
Last night i went back to the new beach, see http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16895

I did the exact same spot as the previos time to see if i could find anything that i had missed with the Wot 15".
From the photo below obviosly i did, some of it is new dropped coins but some of it ain't, i'd like to think that the SEF went deeper rather than my bad coil sweeping tecnique:lol: probably a bit of both.
Still early days but at the moment it stays on

Attachments

• SEF 006.jpg
    SEF 006.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,647
  • SEF 005.jpg
    SEF 005.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,680
  • SEF 008.jpg
    SEF 008.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,662
$270, we always pay more this side of the pond for stuff to fit minelab :yes: I think its only $199 in Kellco on your side, but that might be for the 12x10, don't quote me on that

Have only tried it in my garden testbed as i hunt the beach mostly, picks up all thats in there no problem but a freind of mine uses his for relic hunting in amongst loads of iron and since he bought it never takes it off, from what he tells me he gets the same advantages as the Explorer. What i have noticed though is that i get a faster recovery on the Sov after a null.

Still in early days but i'll keep you posted

Thanks alot for the response, The coil looks interesting and as a sovereign user I am always interested in any new coils, on another note>> Have you used or tried the Joey coil for the sovereign?? Thanks again

the joey no, as i hunt the beaches its a bit small, i have tried the stock 10", excelerator 12" and 14" but i like the Wot 15" the best, deep, sensative(have found gold earing backings)for its size and covers the ground well. I had a day with the sunray 12" too but prefer the Wot up till now, we'll see how the SEF performs with time

Last edited:
More in the SEF

More on the new SEF 15"x12" coil, I am currently giving it a workout, Deeper, more stable, better target seperation amongst iron than the stock coil by far.
Compared to the 2 Wot 15"s that i have been using for a long time i'm not too sure that its deeper but having said that i am digging stuff that the Wot didn't find, especially smaller stuff.
Last night i dug 47.60€($74.67) yes thats right, nearly $75 in 5 hours, of which only 15€ was recently dropped coins(going by the colour) ground coverage is excelent although not as good as the Wot as there is less sideways bleed(with the wot i could pick up a coin at over a foot to one side of the coil and home in on it, with the SEF its probably about 3/4's that)

I get the impresion that the coverage of the Wot is an inverted cone, V like and the SEF more of a wider patern similar to a U, if you can imagine the two superimposed on each other the point of the V on the Wot slightly deaper than the base of the U, giving the Wot a touch more depth at the point but the SEF being deeper over a greater area other than the central point(hard to explain but hopefully clearer with the drawing)Should you advance the wot only an inch at a time would probably give similar results.

I am running with the sensitivity up full in the dry/damp sand and its quiet as a mouse, whereas with the Wot i ran it hot at about the 10 o'clock with light falsing any time my coil touched the ground, in the water and real wet sand i have to crank it back a touch to about 9 o'clock as on full i get some falsing. Its still early days to make a definate conclusion but all thing are pointing to a sale of at least one of the Wot 15"s

I had an S12 on loan but in my area the Wot performed better but as i no longer have it can't make a direct comparison. I still have to try it out in other zones although a freind of mine also has one on the sovereign and he only relic hunts Roman stuff amongst iron, since he bought it he hasn't taken it off.

Off to a different beach tonight that is more iron infested with damn nails so we'll see how i get on.

Attachments

• Wot v SEF.JPG
    Wot v SEF.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,585
Back
Top Bottom