Question for the MD experienced

Uofkybear

Hi just poppin my head in to ask a question. I've got cable and AT&T boxes in my yard where i'm putting in a fence and the markings by 811 aren't that close and I about cut the first one I found in half.. Will one of these $100 units on Amazon pick-up cable lines 3-5" deep so I can know where they are as I dig down? If it will pick them up and tell me within a few inches where they are it would be worth the money. What about buried property stakes?
I've got a buried Nat gas main too that I'll have to look for as I dig down in 1 or 2 spots.
thanks guys.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV $99
Intey TO-GJ-024 $89.

I think it should work okay for that purpose, but I'm sure there might be other members who have used a detector for that purpose and can verify with more certainty.

IF you do decide to get the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector and you have a "Hobby Lobby" close by you can print (or use online) a 40% off coupon and get one for just $65.99

Near the top right of their main page is a button to get a 40% off coupon -

http://www.hobbylobby.com/

and here is the link for the Tracker IV Metal Detector -

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Kids-Crafts-Activities/Science-Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

$109.99 - 40% off coupon = just $65.99

Edited to Add: If you are in Kentucky (judging by your username) it looks like there should be at least 8 Hobby Lobby stores in Kentucky -

https://www.hobbylobby.com/store-finder?latitude=37.8393332&longitude=-84.27001789999997&q=kentucky&CSRFToken=53906ba5-d1df-41ac-8067-8aa6c09da675

haha,I've already been thinking of places to search! Do people try to get permission to follow builders tearing up fields for development?

Thanks Gary. I just ordered it for about $85 after taxes and shipping.

No problem, while it is an inexpensive "entry level" detector, many people have been pleased with what they got for the price, sure the more expensive detectors costing $600 and up obviously will perform better, but not everyone is ready or able to spend that much right away. (and of course you want something just for finding underground wires, ect., and so don't want to spend a lot for just doing that, but you might later find yourself hunting for coins or relics and get hooked on the hobby :lol:)

Again, the BH Tracker IV is a really good for a budget level detector, a great deal for the low price,
I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

I'm a lineman in telecom and never thought of using divining rods 'till I tried it once. Some say it's voodoo.

I'm a lineman in telecom and never thought of using divining rods 'till I tried it once. Some say it's voodoo.

It is voodoo. But when I was a construction supervisor for a home builder I used two L shaped pieces of copper wire aa divining rods and had very good success with them. Now don't ask me how they work.

We have a BH Gold Digger for "neighbor kids" and if I turn it all the way up and the trash eliminator all the way down, it will hit lines 3-4" deep. 5" is pushing it a bit. I would not trust it for critical jobs but the detector you ordered should do better than my cheap-o BH as it's a step up from it. Good luck!

haha,I've already been thinking of places to search! Do people try to get permission to follow builders tearing up fields for development?

You might not see this too often, but sometimes they'll be smaller towns that will still have a few old brick roads they'll tear up before paving, check out this thread -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=229096

If there is older private property you can ask permission to detect, just be careful to dig proper plugs and replace them so as not to mess up their lawn :shock: (you might want to practice in your own yard first) You can then ask permission in yards of people you know after you're good at proper digging or they might regret giving you permission :lol:

Many local parks are okay as long as there isn't any "no detecting" signs or it's not an area designated as a historical landmark.

It is voodoo. But when I was a construction supervisor for a home builder I used two L shaped pieces of copper wire aa divining rods and had very good success with them. Now don't ask me how they work.
I had always thought it was simple...the electromagnetic field produced by the energized cable, pulls the dowsing rod in the direction of the energy flow. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom