Threshold... What exactly is it?

Rob479

----------
Threshold... What exactly is it, and how do you use it to maximize your machine?:?:

You may benefit from this web page http://www.regton.com/glossary.htm
for a good overview of basic terms. Always read and reread your manual. If you try to visualize what is actually going on I find it really helps when I have questions about why it isn't as simple as I want it to be.

In case you really wanted to know... Threshold is just that, a point of transition from not sensitive enough to too sensitive- a sweet spot! My pinpointer is a good example. I have to crank it past signaling over nothing to where it just goes quiet and needs metal to enter its sensing area to sing again. I can over do it some if I need it to wait until it actually touches the metal, or fine tune it to let me know I have a target in the hole.

Thanks, Dusty. It is with some insecurity that I a junior explain something to a senior. But having an elite affirm it means alot.

PS Where did you get the avatar picture of my brother-in-law? I smile everytime I see it!

Thanks, Dusty. It is with some insecurity that I a junior explain something to a senior. But having an elite affirm it means alot.

PS Where did you get the avatar picture of my brother-in-law? I smile everytime I see it!

Thanks, I'm a senior member because I'm active on the forums, but I am a rookie with only a handful of hunts under my belt. With my current machine, I haven't had to worry about threshold, but my friend is going to let me borrow his whites sometime soon, and I was just curious about that.

I did some reading on it , and appreciate your help :)

Threshold

Threshold, as it applies to detectors with an adjustable threshold, is a tone (usually in all metal mode), that can be set by the operator. Generally, it is best to set the tone to where it is just audible. At this setting when the detector passes over either a very deep target or very small target that wouldn't ordinarily give enough signal to beep or activate the TID screen, a sometimes very slight bump in the volume of the threshold tone will notify the operator of the target's presence. This is one of the ways that the experienced diggers find the deep, rare targets and why savvy detectorists always wear headphones.
BB

a tonal reference to the balance of the detector tuning ground balance. Any material in the ground matrix that breaks above the threshold you set will change sound level.

Threshold, as it applies to detectors with an adjustable threshold, is a tone (usually in all metal mode), that can be set by the operator. Generally, it is best to set the tone to where it is just audible. At this setting when the detector passes over either a very deep target or very small target that wouldn't ordinarily give enough signal to beep or activate the TID screen, a sometimes very slight bump in the volume of the threshold tone will notify the operator of the target's presence. This is one of the ways that the experienced diggers find the deep, rare targets and why savvy detectorists always wear headphones.
BB

Back
Top Bottom