New member new to detecting.

DiggingThePNW

Forum Supporter
Well after watching shows like oak island and seeing Gary Drayton I started watching you tube detecting stuff. Dr. Tones and aquachigger and such. After watching I'm either gonna get a Minelab Equinox or a Garrett AT max. I'm basically gonna be looking for older coins and maybe relics. Any recommendations on each would be great. Also looking for good resources for reading as well. I live in Washington State by Mt. Baker and will be hunting with my wife and three daughters. Thanks in advance for any info.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

While your waiting for those with a Minelab Equinox or a Garrett AT max to offer views on those models you can search the forum for info as well as search youtube for videos on those models.

:mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder:

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

While your waiting for those with a Minelab Equinox or a Garrett AT max to offer views on those models you can search the forum for info as well as search youtube for videos on those models.

:mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder:

What made you choose the model you are using. I know there are people that have brand loyalty like fender guitar guys and Gibson guys just curious I'm new and those appear to be the most popular models

What made you choose the model you are using. I know there are people that have brand loyalty like fender guitar guys and Gibson guys just curious I'm new and those appear to be the most popular models

Well, some of us are on a tight budget when it comes to hobby stuff and we just try to get the best we can for what we can afford at the time :lol:

So being on a budget was a deciding factor in my case as well as some others :lol:

Having said that, the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

For starters I’m a rookie. I got my first detector in April and by May got my equinox. I narrowed it down to the same two you did. After researching and comparisons between the two online I picked the equinox 800. BE WARNED. There is a big learning process for the equinox although it is plug and play at first but you can tune and tweak to your hearts content after learning the machine. Learning just takes time. Print a couple VDI charts you can find online to help you get started. That helped me lots. I made a excel spreadsheet after that with what I’ve found and what online charts suggest. “My finds” list keeps growing on the spreadsheet and I add to it with my new finds. I know, a spreadsheet, I might be that odd. The numbers are close but vary one or two. My guess that has something to do with how the item is laying underground. Sideways, up and down, an angle, the ground composition etc. Use auto ground balance and noise reduction at first. Those are simple to learn to do. I am growing in to the many options available to tweak one at a time.

Spreadsheets are not an option to upload here so I can’t. I’ll convert to pdf when I get time.

That is if you choose that machine. It was a choice that took me time.

Best of luck with this fun hobby and with picking your detector.

Well, some of us are on a tight budget when it comes to hobby stuff and we just try to get the best we can for what we can afford at the time :lol:

So being on a budget was a deciding factor in my case as well as some others :lol:

Having said that, the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

Yeah I will check that out for sure, gonna need to get my wife one eventually and our oldest daughter (7) as well. With three kids and one income budget is always a concern just gonna get mine first and see.

For starters I’m a rookie. I got my first detector in April and by May got my equinox. I narrowed it down to the same two you did. After researching and comparisons between the two online I picked the equinox 800. BE WARNED. There is a big learning process for the equinox although it is plug and play at first but you can tune and tweak to your hearts content after learning the machine. Learning just takes time. Print a couple VDI charts you can find online to help you get started. That helped me lots. I made a excel spreadsheet after that with what I’ve found and what online charts suggest. “My finds” list keeps growing on the spreadsheet and I add to it with my new finds. I know, a spreadsheet, I might be that odd. The numbers are close but vary one or two. My guess that has something to do with how the item is laying underground. Sideways, up and down, an angle, the ground composition etc. Use auto ground balance and noise reduction at first. Those are simple to learn to do. I am growing in to the many options available to tweak one at a time.

Spreadsheets are not an option to upload here so I can’t. I’ll convert to pdf when I get time.

That is if you choose that machine. It was a choice that took me time.

Best of luck with this fun hobby and with picking your detector.

I'm definitely leaning equinox. I like the aftermarket carbon fiber shafts as well, with its sleek look.

I'm into all kinds of analytics just goes with my profession so I'll data log every piece of info I can. Any tips and info I would be very thankful for.

Welcome from Montana. I had the at max for a few weeks to try out. I think it didn't like the Montana soil. A lot of random chirping going on. I ordered the equinox 800. Been using it for 3 weeks now. A lot quieter and not the random chirping. Maybe I didn't give the max enough time but I returned it and am happy with the equinox.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Welcome from Montana. I had the at max for a few weeks to try out. I think it didn't like the Montana soil. A lot of random chirping going on. I ordered the equinox 800. Been using it for 3 weeks now. A lot quieter and not the random chirping. Maybe I didn't give the max enough time but I returned it and am happy with the equinox.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I will be hunting there besides Washington. My parents retired in eureka and then passed in Helena so both spots I visit. My sister lives in Helena as well so I visit her and there grave. Love Montana. Bet there is killer old stuff there

Get the Equinox 800. Not to bash on any other detector... But I have used Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Nokta, and Whites, and so far, the Minelab Equinox 800 has been my favorite. As for getting what you can afford on your budget, it's good advice, but I would have saved money had I just went ahead and got the Nox first.

Welcome to WA state!

I started with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and found a lot of stuff. It really taught me to hunt by sound. I then moved up to the Garrett AT Pro. I've really enjoyed that machine and being able to get in the water. It still works great, but I would really like to get my hands on the new Equinox 800. I like what I see in terms of specs and the Minelab detectors really have a lot to offer. My unicorn is a CTX 3030, but I doubt I'll ever invest that much in a detector. The Equinox seems like a nice compromise.

Food for thought, the soil around WA is highly mineralized which limits a lot of the depth penetration for many standard VLF detectors. If you're serious about getting into the hobby make sure at minimum you have the ability to set ground balance.

Good luck and hope to see some pictures and stories soon!

Welcome from the coast of South Carolina. My first detector was the Minelab Sovereign GT. I bought it because my brother in law recommended it as being a very good machine. He based his recommendation on the fact that his twin brother used one with success. It took quite a bit of learning to be able to appreciate the machine. Living near the ocean I wanted a waterproof machine and purchased the Minelab Excalibur II which is very similar to the GT. Those two machines have been very good to me. Regardless of what mahine you decide on take the necessary time to learn what the machine is telling you.

Back
Top Bottom