Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 05-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Elite Member

Default Chest mount Explorer2 in action....

I put the control head on a Chesty Go Pro harness and used a Compadre chassis to mount the coil on. Then I found a 36Ē CB mic extension cable to join the head to the coil/chassis. Itís powered by an RNB battery in my pocket. That part still needs a bit of refinement....but overall itís incredibly comfortable to wear and use. Not for the faint of heart to tear apart your e-series,Iím just showing that it CAN be done with and get the ďold heavy dinosaurĒ back in action!
https://youtu.be/sfpGG-m2fxY

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Elite Member

That set up is BEAUTIFUL! Could even mod it further with a waterproof plano box and bring it in the water! Thanks for sharing man, was a good video, and great mod!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1723 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
That set up is BEAUTIFUL! Could even mod it further with a waterproof plano box and bring it in the water! Thanks for sharing man, was a good video, and great mod!
Thanks Jeff! Besides having nothing to do during the winter,I figured it was time to just chop it up and see what happened. It still needs a couple of refinements but Iím more than happy with the outcome. Itís SOOOO comfortable to use,it really is. Iíve got the ProSwing and that works great too,this is a way different animal than that. ďEffortlessĒ would be the word that comes to mind,if you can believe that about swinging an Explorer! You know what Iím talking about...

Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Supporter

Good stuff Kevin!! I will be taking mine out on it first journey here soon. I need to look at settings first to fully understand this beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Supporter

Nice setup. Ive seen a few folks do this and it helps alot. My first Explorer was waterproofed then it broke so I bought a Pro and swapped it out. Now it sits but it is for sale.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=187187

Custom AT Pro w/Remote PP & NEL Snake 3.5x6.5 Coil

Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by AIRFORCEMIKE View post
Good stuff Kevin!! I will be taking mine out on it first journey here soon. I need to look at settings first to fully understand this beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope to make it that way soon Mike,maybe this weekend. If itís in your schedule Iíd love to go kick it old skool! The whole issue is that unless you have a place that has those deep coins,itís really hard to get to know how they act,and thatís with anything as you know! If youíre serious about using it regularly all I can suggest is just going and hunting that 4-7Ē clad just to find out what your sweep speed needs to be. I do believe,with the same size coils,that the Explorers,eTrac,CTX and now the Equinox are all in the same ďdepth rangeĒ. How accurate and fast the reporting is are what differ at times,and at times by quite a bit. It really is a fun old beast to use,I love mine. The 800 is growing on me slowly as well,so itís safe to say weíll both have 3 Gen of Minelabs in the house for quite awhile...
Let me know how your weekend is shaking out.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Saltshaker View post
Nice setup. Ive seen a few folks do this and it helps alot. My first Explorer was waterproofed then it broke so I bought a Pro and swapped it out. Now it sits but it is for sale.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=187187
That is WELL DONE Shake! It just goes to show that stuff like this CAN be done,and as you said,it helps a great deal in weight distribution. Still very quality hunting units,and itís fun to use old dinosaurs like these!