Doctor visit - good news bad news good news etc.

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
As some of you know as I have posted a few times that I have high cholesterol and had to have 3 stints put in my heart about 3 years ago. I went to my heart doctor yesterday and the good news was my blood pressure was the best it ever was, my good and my bad cholesterol levels were normal but my Lipoprotein (a) levels were still high. My heart doctor has been doctoring for over 20 years and told me my Lipoprotein (a) number was the highest he has ever seen (100) and it should be less than 30. I have been playing guinea pig between my heart doctor and my regular doctor it seems. I was on Lipitor and Niaspan and my legs got so tired that I could hardly walk so my regular doctor told me to quite taking the Niaspan. I am no doctor but feel the Lipitor is slowing ruining me, my legs are so tired all the time, I am tired most of the time, there are times when it feels like my nerves are on the outside of my skin, constant ringing in my ears and every sound is like it is amplified 10 times, my memory has slipped a great deal. Yesterday my heart doctor told me that I should not of been taking off Niaspan as it is about the only treatment for me. Good news is he took me off Lipitor so maybe I will start to feel like I used to, its been so long that I can hardly remember what it is like to feel normal. I am not making this post to cry to anyone or for sympathy just was wondering if any of you have high cholesterol and or high Lipoprotein (a) numbers and if so has anything helped you and have you noticed any side effects. Thanks! Steve.

Just a note to show you where I rate -

In adults, blood lipoprotein (a) levels

* less than 10 mg/dL are considered "acceptable"
* 11-24 mg/dL - "borderline high"
* higher than 25 mg/dL - "very high

My number is 100, very scary considering I already had to have 3 heart stints placed and I was only 48.

Just had my third stint put in Thursday and have one, maybe two more to go. My total cholesterol is only 172 but the bad is far higher than the good. About a year back my doctor put me on Lipitor and the leg cramps were nasty, after a month he stopped it and the cramps stopped as well.

My BMI was good, I was active and in decent shape for my age (can still do at least one push-up for every year of age and I'm 50) and a stress test a few years ago was good as well so neither my doctor nor I considered me a candidate for heart attack. About three weeks ago, February 18th, I was at work and had a mild heart attack. So I might be back on the cholesterol medication very soon.

Blood pressure has been my problem since my late 30’s and for the last few years I have been on three different medications daily to control it. While in the hospital for the heart attack my pressure stayed low so the cardiologist has me down to one medication daily. Not sure what my GP will think about that but so far my pressure is staying down. The blood pressure worries me as in 2002 I experienced a ruptured brain aneurysm and it took me several years to recover from that.

Don’t worry about your post Steve, your not the only one with health issues. This getting old stuff sucks.

My doctor put me on Lipitor. 3 days later I felt like I was hit by a train.
Zero strength and felt horrible.
I quit taking it, 2 days later felt human again.

I am now on something else....Simivastin I think and I feel fine now.

I had a friend who had the same circumstances.

Good luck Steve.

Ask your doctor about taking you off of the lipitor. It has a nasty, not well known side effect of causing muscle weakness, cramps, and even tendonitis in the legs. I spent 5 years working in pharmacuticals and it was the least known side effect, but the one we saw the most.

GL,
Chrissy

Just a note to show you where I rate -

In adults, blood lipoprotein (a) levels

* less than 10 mg/dL are considered "acceptable"
* 11-24 mg/dL - "borderline high"
* higher than 25 mg/dL - "very high

My number is 100, very scary considering I already had to have 3 heart stints placed and I was only 48.

Steve,

Lipoprotein(a) (also known as Lp(a)) is a type of lipoprotein. It consists of LDL cholesterol bound to the protein apolipoprotein(a).

Some people are genetically predisposed to have a lot of lipoprotein(a) and others very little. Because of this, Lp(a) levels can vary greatly from person to person.Studies have identified Lp(a) as a possible risk factor for atherosclerotic diseases such as coronary heart disease and stroke. You need to get it under control.

Lp-a concentrations is only slightly affected by diet, exercise, and other environmental factors. Commonly prescribed lipid-reducing drugs have little or no effect on Lp(a) concentration.

Niacin (nicotinic acid), Vitamin C, aspirin and mega 3 fish oil supplements may also be helpful to lower the levels of Lp-a; they should be used under the supervision of a qualified physician.

Also check this site.

Steve,

Lipoprotein(a) (also known as Lp(a)) is a type of lipoprotein. It consists of LDL cholesterol bound to the protein apolipoprotein(a).

Some people are genetically predisposed to have a lot of lipoprotein(a) and others very little. Because of this, Lp(a) levels can vary greatly from person to person.Studies have identified Lp(a) as a possible risk factor for atherosclerotic diseases such as coronary heart disease and stroke. You need to get it under control.

Lp-a concentrations is only slightly affected by diet, exercise, and other environmental factors. Commonly prescribed lipid-reducing drugs have little or no effect on Lp(a) concentration.

Niacin (nicotinic acid), Vitamin C, aspirin and mega 3 fish oil supplements may also be helpful to lower the levels of Lp-a; they should be used under the supervision of a qualified physician.

Also check this site.
Thanks Rudy & thanks to everyone else that has replied. I just started taking Niaspan, and have been taking aspirin and mega 3 fish oil supplements (Lovaza), not taking any vitamins.

Let us know how the Niaspan works out. I am going to be put back on something, just not sure what yet. Just know I don't want Lipitor.

Let us know how the Niaspan works out. I am going to be put back on something, just not sure what yet. Just know I don't want Lipitor.
I tried Crestor and that made my leg cramps worse than with Liptor never thought they could get worse but they did. Although my lipoprotein levels are extremely high, my other cholesterol levels was good & I am thinking that the Lovaza (fish oil) has helped (been taking it for about a month), because my cholesterol levels were not as good before taking it.
P.S. I tell my doctors that Lipitor is slowly killing me and they look at me like I am nuts, no one knows how bad this stuff can make a person feel unless they try it.

Steve saw your post on the lipitor,now you have me wondering.
I have been taking it for 8 or 9 years with no problem.
But as of late my knees are killing me both of them.
I have never had knee problems.So I am going to run this by my Dr. and see what he says.

I had a friend who took Lipitor one time and the next morning he could not get out of bed. He told me all his joints ached.

I think that fish oil can only be a good think.I try to eat fish three or more times a week. I hardly ever do red meat anymore..

The diet change and lipitor did work for me.. But now the knee thing and I'm wondering if it's the Lip. doing a job on my knees.

nano-greens

I posted this once before,don't know if you ever got around to checking it out but here it again. http://nano-greens.com/

I take the nano-green 10 fruits and veggies. I think it's great stuff.

I would like to also add I have no affiliation with this company,I just think there products are great. A little pricey but it's good stuff.

I had high blood pressure since I was a teen, but my cholesterol levels were always low, somewhere between 125 and 140 (I'm 59 years old now). I went on a serious fruit/veggie diet a couple of years ago and I no longer take the pills I had been taking for decades. My weight has gone from 248 to 192. I've had to buy all new clothes. But I feel great. I cheated today and had ONE Taco Bell taco.......first fast food I've eaten in months. And it really didn't taste all that good.........Hang in there, Ski!!!!!!!!!!

Dusty

Steve saw your post on the lipitor,now you have me wondering.
I have been taking it for 8 or 9 years with no problem.
But as of late my knees are killing me both of them.
I have never had knee problems.So I am going to run this by my Dr. and see what he says.

I had a friend who took Lipitor one time and the next morning he could not get out of bed. He told me all his joints ached.

I think that fish oil can only be a good think.I try to eat fish three or more times a week. I hardly ever do red meat anymore..

The diet change and lipitor did work for me.. But now the knee thing and I'm wondering if it's the Lip. doing a job on my knees.
I would think that if the Lipitor wasn't bothering you for 8 or 9 years it shouldn't start bothering you now but you never know, it is nasty stuff. Google Lipitor and read all the problems people have had with it. Best of luck to you. Steve.

I had high blood pressure since I was a teen, but my cholesterol levels were always low, somewhere between 125 and 140 (I'm 59 years old now). I went on a serious fruit/veggie diet a couple of years ago and I no longer take the pills I had been taking for decades. My weight has gone from 248 to 192. I've had to buy all new clothes. But I feel great. I cheated today and had ONE Taco Bell taco.......first fast food I've eaten in months. And it really didn't taste all that good.........Hang in there, Ski!!!!!!!!!!

Dusty
Reading your post got me thinking, I have never been one to eat fruits never have been, I do love and eat alot of vegetables though. I like orange juice and I like banana's but thats about it. Guess it wouldn't hurt forcing myself to eat more fruits. I have been forcing myself to eat oatmeal (and now I actually like it ). Thanks for the post Dusty. Steve.

P.S. I have never had a weight issue, I am 50 years old, 6' tall and the most I have ever weighed was 180 and I weigh 174 now. BTW I hate tacos,lol.

I was a berry and grape freak for the first year, a pint of blueberries and a pint of strawberries each day, as well as a few cups of red or black grapes. My Dr told me to drink a glass of red wine each day, but I'm not a wine or liquor person. I drank a lot of orange juice (low acid) as well. My Dr was impressed with the results. I guess "you are what you eat" may have some truth in it......

Dusty

I was a berry and grape freak for the first year, a pint of blueberries and a pint of strawberries each day, as well as a few cups of red or black grapes. My Dr told me to drink a glass of red wine each day, but I'm not a wine or liquor person. I drank a lot of orange juice (low acid) as well. My Dr was impressed with the results. I guess "you are what you eat" may have some truth in it......

Dusty
Hey Dusty will you put ... Quote (my Dr told me to drink a glass of red wine each day) in writing for I can give to my wife. I love red wine and thought I should drink at least one bottle of it a night, lol. I do love my red wine.

Thanks Rudy & thanks to everyone else that has replied. I just started taking Niaspan, and have been taking aspirin and mega 3 fish oil supplements (Lovaza), not taking any vitamins.

BTW, you can take all the Vitamin C you want. It's water soluble and your body doesn't retain it. Many people swear by megadoses of vitamin C.

Hey Dusty will you put ... Quote (my Dr told me to drink a glass of red wine each day) in writing for I can give to my wife. I love red wine and thought I should drink at least one bottle of it a night, lol. I do love my red wine.

It was an Air Force Flight Surgeon that told me that. He didn't say how BIG the glass should be........:D

Dusty

BTW, you can take all the Vitamin C you want. It's water soluble and your body doesn't retain it. Many people swear by megadoses of vitamin C.
What is the best way for me to take vitamic C, pill form or by drinking orange juice,etc. and if by pill form any special amount of mg they should be. Thanks Rudy.

Back
Top Bottom