Found Sterling Silver But It Was 12-20-12!!!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
Yeah -- about a year and a half ago and didn't know it! I found this tiny salt or pepper shaker with my Bounty Hunter 202 on December 20, 2012. The top (though intact but in rather smashed condition) looked to be "junk" metal or pewter. Just didn't look at it close enough. I did think it was still neat/interesting so I kept it and just put it in my finds drawer (large 3-drawer plastic thingy). And that's where I LEFT it. A cool find -- yeah, nothing more.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell -- I saw on another website a TOP to one found by someone else that said theirs was SILVER. Okay -- could mine be??? -- Nooooooooooo, I wouldn't think so, I'm not that lucky! But I dug it out of the drawer and LOOKED at it and couldn't believe my eyes! Plain as day without a magnifier or even cleaning it -- STERLING jumped out at me! :shock: WHAT! :D :dingding: Here are two pictures. The first one was taken when I first found it (and posted it on here: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=135502 and the second one was taken today when I found the STERLING marking! :woohoo:

Now that's a hunt I didn't even have to leave home for! I like that!:yes: Goes to show that some things aren't always what they first appear to be! I'm glad I checked it out after seeing the "top" online. It's more ornate than mine but it did get me to thinking about mine -- enough to make me look! :p

Thanks for looking! GL & HH!

Attachments

• 12-20-12 Salt-Pepper Shaker.jpg
    12-20-12 Salt-Pepper Shaker.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 283
  • 12-20-12 Sterling Salt-Pepper Shaker.jpg
    12-20-12 Sterling Salt-Pepper Shaker.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 281
I've done that too with small crusty rings....did not think they could be silver....went back after a few weeks and rechecked my finds, and found a couple of my crusty rings to have .925 on them....needless to say, I was very happy to see that little stamp...

HDD

Hey, you can only count it once, but in this case, it counts just the same today, as it did when you found it...

So congrats today!!

I know a guy that found gold and silver without knowing what he had till I looked at it.... He was telling me how many junk rings he finds and how he never finds anything real, I said you'll have to show me that stuff next time we hunt....

I went through his box of "junkers", "silver, silver, silver, really dude, you didn't see 14K on this??" He said, it looked like tacky junk, its real? Yea man, congrats on your first gold!!:roll:

<*)))>{

Thanks all for all your comments. I appreciate it. It WAS a surprise to learn that it was silver! It just made me want to get out there and hunt more. So I went out yesterday but nothing spectacular came forth from the ground. I got the usual clad, copper, zinc and pull tabs. (Clad: .55; Copper: .02; zinc: .13 and pull tabs: 16. (Not a very productive hunt but it was a nice afternoon -- spent a good 6 hours and came home about 8 p.m.) It was supposed to rain/storm last night and the sky looked threatening but it stayed at bay while I was out -- so that's a good thing. And I don't know if it rained last night either -- didn't hear it. Looks like rain again this morning but I'm going to try and get out somewhere, hopefully. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom