Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Supporter

Default Old work camp hunting?

I came across an old prison work camp that has been demolished. Anybody think it would be worth hunting?

Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Supporter

My thought would be no. Probably no money and most prison stuff was made of iron. My bet is there wouldn't be much to find. But you never know!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:41 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by CJ319 View post
My thought would be no. Probably no money and most prison stuff was made of iron. My bet is there wouldn't be much to find. But you never know!
That's kind of what I was thinking. Probably some sporks or prison coins and I've got a ton of prison money already

Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

It's not for the purpose of "recreation". (eg.: park, camp, swim, etc...). Nor is it for the purpose of retail/commercial concerns (stage stop, saloon, trading post, etc...). So I'd agree with cj319. Doesn't sound too promising.

Is that to say there'll be zero coins ? Of course not. Flukes always exist. But ... I would not put it high on my priority list of places to scout. Unless it dated to mid 1800's or earlier perhaps.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Supporter

It captures the imagination, so You probably should give it a sweep!...No telling what went on there, off to the side gambling by the guards, visitors day/picnic area, old privy holes someplace, possibly a BB field even....

At a Family funeral at the old Church, My dad pointed out where there used to be a BB field back when he was a kid...said there was a WW2 German prisoner work camp off to the side there...said he was just a kid but was the 'supervisor' over a fleet of captured Heinies picking fruit...I had no idea we actually shipped the captured Germans over here and made them work the Farms?

Now its a farm field, you wouldnt even know anything took place...but he told me about what went on with folks coming from all around and after church would watch the BB games between the Krauts and the Local Farmboys...You wouldnt even know by looking...I havnt hunted it yet, got no excuse except I'm a gold Water Hunter mainly..Its still in the Family even...All I would have to do is ask...so now you got me thinking..

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.