A ring inside a shell, i've never seen that before...

zeemang

Forum Supporter
I hit the water today, i only lasted maybe 2 1/2 hours because the water is getting chilly here... I managed four rings with two silver and two junkers, the weird thing was to find a ring inside a shell, it looks like the shell somehow grew around the ring, i didn't realize that could happen. It is definitely IN the shell, not just lodged in there...Reminded me of when one of the guys from japan posted about the starfish with the coin in it...
Thoughts?
HH all!

Attachments

• Photo1067.jpg
    Photo1067.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 957
  • Photo1072.jpg
    Photo1072.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 852
  • Photo1069.jpg
    Photo1069.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 860
  • Photo1070.jpg
    Photo1070.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 858
I lived in Okinawa for almost 3 years and I collected shells. In infancy they are brittle and small and grow just like fingernails. I don't think it is possible for it to have grown inside a shell.

HOWEVER, I don't know for sure.

Nice ring anyway!!

New one on me:?: I don't know enough about shells to answer your question. After seeing a toadfish grow too big in a jar to get out and someone reeled in the fish and the jar. Anything is possible!:lol:

Silver is better than a skunk... I have heard about gold rings inside of a fish but never a shell :lol:

just like a hermit crab,,,,,,:laughing:glad to see you getting your average of 4 rings in such short hunts,,,,,,,,,,:lol:nice work,,,GL HH

that one come from a Davey Jones..... a hundred years a service.....

Sweet finds for a short hunt, and very cool oddity, regardless of how it got there!

Pawaide

Well, that's a cool find Z! The shell is that of a gastropod, or more commonly 'snail'. I'd say that as the snail was moving across the bottom (its body comes partway out of the shell), the body went through the ring, and when it retracted into the shell the ring was pulled inside and lodged there. With time, as the snail continued to grow and precipitate more calcium carbonate to enlargen its shell, the ring became cemented in place inside the shell.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

Foiled

Back
Top Bottom