What's your coldest Beach hunt?

user6244

So I am sitting here after returning from Gunsan, South Korea which had a fairly heavy blizzard going on.

I had plans to hit some beaches this weekend, the beach weather is expected to be like 31 to 36f , some snow possible.

I don't know would someone be classified as nuts to go anyways?:crazy:

Coming from Alaska I have gear to stay warm and used to work outside in -65 weather , but that was work......

So please do tell what was the coldest beach hunt for you how was it?

I've done it in the twenties with 20-30 mph winds. Had to be in the water because the shore was covered by ice. It was worth it because the area was producing gold. Otherwise fahgeddaboutit!

Foiled

I had plans to hit some beaches this weekend, the beach weather is expected to be like 31 to 36f , some snow possible.

Sounds like a tropical heat wave yo!

Pulled a merc out from under the ice in this picture last season...

1211131723_zpsa8914eb5.jpg

1211131537_zps25b8bb94.jpg

Here are some of my equipment shots from this season...

<*)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20141124_222856.jpg
    IMG_20141124_222856.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_20141121_005744.jpg
    IMG_20141121_005744.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_20141118_223103.jpg
    IMG_20141118_223103.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_20141118_222925.jpg
    IMG_20141118_222925.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 535
If there is open water I'm in it. The last things to freeze and the first to thaw around here are creeks and rivers.

I have a creek that runs right through the middle of my old small town and folks have swam and played in it for well over 120 years.
I save that for when everything else is frozen, I have found dozens of old coins in it and one Gold ring. :grin:

My wife took this picture from an old railroad bridge. I always find old stuff and coins in this spot!

3-6-12rs - Copy.jpg

WOW , Guess I should have a pretty good day of it this weekend ... Thanks I just wanted to confirm that I wont be the only crazy person , :)

WOW , Guess I should have a pretty good day of it this weekend ... Thanks I just wanted to confirm that I wont be the only crazy person , :)

Nah, we're all some degree of nuts. Good hunting to you! :cool:

If there is open water I'm in it...

My wife took this picture from an old railroad bridge. I always find old stuff and coins in this spot!

Very Cool Picture. Is that just ahead of a water fall?

Here's mine

Beach practically deserted.

Attachments

• 2011-07-30 15.29.58.jpg
    2011-07-30 15.29.58.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 400
Very Cool Picture. Is that just ahead of a water fall?

Nope no waterfall there just a good size hole. I'm guessing the early railroad scooped that area out so the steam trains could jerk clean water easier.

Interesting thing about that creek is it's pretty smooth bottomed for a Michigan creek so coins and jewelry are washed out of the old swimming holes and scattered across the first downstream gravel flat.

Every spring after the snowmelt when the water goes back down it's like a new hunting spot.

I scooped this coin in the spring right by that old bridge. :D

july 025RS.jpg

july 001RS.jpg

july 004RS.jpg

Ice Scratcher wins and I think Irons has a close second! Both are CRAZY.

I think Mr. Irons and I will have to share the 1st place prize.. If we can't share it, well, we would have to get out a chain saw and a stop watch... But that aint going to happen because the person standing on top of the ice timing us will never last and or the stop watch would freeze up... :laughing:

<*)))>{

It was in the upper 60's around here last night...:D
You guys out hunting in the ice/snow are simply hardcore!

Attachments

• 121124-Travel-Day-844-Rainy-Vancouver-to-sunny-Hawaii-2.jpg
    121124-Travel-Day-844-Rainy-Vancouver-to-sunny-Hawaii-2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 326
It was in the upper 60's around here last night...:D
You guys out hunting in the ice/snow are simply hardcore!

You do what you gotta do man. Michigan was a very wealthy middle class state with a strong tradition of swimming and playing in lakes and rivers.

There is a lot of Gold here. So far I have found Gold in every month except January and February. Next really mild winter I'll fix that. :grin:

+1 for AQUAMAN'S post:D; that pic brings back some good memories...sigh....i miss the island

NO WADERS and using shorts....I hunted thigh deep with 39 degree temps.
Why?
Conditions looked right and as I began hunting (in winter attire) I was approached by a couple that lost a keepsake in the water the night before. They offered a very, VERY hefty reward for looking in the water. Took me all of 2 minutes to change my clothes and start my coldest hunt ever. :D

Cold? Heck I hunted yesterday at 4am and the temp was about 65 degrees. Glad you guys are up north so I can remember why I am not. :laughing:

Back on January 19th, I had cabin fever and couldn't stand another day without detecting.
The only area I could find was in Lake Michigan.
I just went into the water about a foot or so.
It was probably 10F but the sun was shining:D

After 2-3 weeks without hunting, even a couple clad are nice.

Attachments

• 1-19-14 Lake Michigan.jpg
    1-19-14 Lake Michigan.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 1-19-14 Grant.jpg
    1-19-14 Grant.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 285
Back
Top Bottom