Beach Newbie Help?

infiniteMPG

Been using my new ACE250 (stock coil... for now) at some hopefully historical sites and digging in hard packed soil with grass and weeds everywhere. So decided to run to the beach and try it in something a little easier to dig in. With the cooler weather found a section of beach with no snow birds, errrr, I mean tourists, on it. Spent about 45 minutes and this was my "haul" :

IMAG1297-1.jpg

All of 1 quarter, 2 dimes, 2 pennies, 1 Hotwheels car, 1 pull tab, 1 chunk of sharp aluminum can, and 1 rusty hair pin and 1 VERY rusty big nasty nail which went into the trash can. Not a big haul but was fun and easier digging.

But ended up walking away with some questions I figured finding out what people a lot more experienced then myself do might help me find my way.

- Do you become ambidextrous when hunting? Even with the light 250 my right arm was getting worn out and didn't want that lopsided Popeye look so started splitting my time between right handed and the other hand.

- Was trying to leave everything to the max on depth and metals but found that if there was a hump in the wet sand and I bumped it (or looked away a second and scuffed it) I'd get a PING like a hit. Redo the area and nothing so kept moving... nothing to dig there.

- Have cheap-O pin pointer but don't know how I every got along without it. What can you do to protect the nose grinding this through the sand? Was thinking of some shrink tubing and then replace it when it gets worn but not if that affects its sensitivity.

- Is there any "section" of the beach where you get the most hits? Was thinking where people lay out might be big but then thought maybe the waters edge might be better, not sure if stuff washes up like shells and rocks do. Also a lot of areas where there are mounds of shells collect, not sure about the metal washing up.

- I think I have my trowel/pin pointer easily accessible on the modified hardware store belt clip holder but have been stuffing finds in a plastic shopping bag and stuffing it in my pocket. What do you folks use to put your finds in when beaching?

- How bad does the sand grind up the bottom of the coil? Try not to contact the sand but really can't completely avoid it. Have seen the coil covers but not sure that messes up your ability to pinpoint GZ with the detector before digging in. Suggestions?

Sorry if this is covered in some other threads and links to other sites but searched around and didn't find this stuff clear to me (and might be a tad short on time to really search deeply).

Thanks in advance for your help for a newbie :grin:

Since you only have a 250 you wont be able to get to close to the water since the coil will react to the salt water and give you false signals you need a multi frequency to go close to the water. You dont really need a pin pointer at the beach just use a sand scoop you can make one out of a feed scoop. I have used a ziploc bag to put my finds in before a buddy gave me a couple of treasure pouches that have mesh on top to sift out the sand. I would get a coil cover because you want your coil to be as low to the ground as it can be i usually scrape the sand at the lowest part of my swing but you also dont want to be golf swinging nice even swings is what you want. Your arm is starting to hurt because it probably isnt use to the motion of swinging a detector after a while that is go away once your arm muscle get use to the motion.

To cover the tip of your PPer get one of those rubber cups you put on a kitchen chair leg. Wont be long before you will just dig, PP, kick the sand, and pick up your finds.

I swing 6 to 8 hours...... carrying a Starvr scoop and swinging my Xcal. Its something you will get used to. It can be a killer if there isnt any targets to dig.

Go enough to know your beach conditions change so so does the towel line (where people set and lay). Obviously the more contributors you have in one concentrated area the greater possibly for good targets.

This is a good site for beach information. http://web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/http://thegoldenolde.com/

Learn what a shallow bottle cap sounds like and iron..... kick or dig everything else. Gold can range from a foil to a penny.

Lot of use marine epoxy on the bottom of our coils or coil covers. Ive found LocTite to be the easiest to work with and it contains no metals.

You are looking mostly for recent drops in your area because i believe they did a renurishment to your beach last year.

As I told you in another thread, I have the ACE 250 with a DD coil. I'd suggest that you get a DD ASAP, it will improve how that 250 works at the beach. I have over 550 hours at the beach with the 250 and it has paid for itself and 2 other machines (granted, they were used machines).

373781_10150897526570635_336049713_n.jpg

If you look close you'll see this pic was taken before I got the DD coil.

Several things will help, a scoop being probably the most important. My first purchased scoops were $50 for the two of them delivered to my door...

199996_10150433016695635_676820_n.jpg

A lot of guys look for the "towel line" where people lay out. I just look for the section with the highest traffic and go back out when everyone is gone in the evening. Then I grid the puddin' out of that section...

734794_10152412315915635_808718214_n.jpg

Your 250 will work in salt water, just not well. You will get a lot of chatter and only about 6 inches on coins and rings at best... but if you have the patience and want to play in the wet sand/water, it CAN be done.

Thanks for the insight, very good info to learn by (helps the trial and error be a little less error).

So the tip of the pin pointer can have a thick cover and not impact the sensitivity? I'll try a few things, was thinking for the shrink tubing to be tight and thin. I'll try a few things but good to know.

Hoping "Santa" is bringing me an 8-1/2" X 11" DD so we'll find out in ten days :D Are the coils and base assembly all waterproof?

I have a Sand Flea rake (https://www.shoreproducts.com/) that we use for hunting shark teeth, might try to haul that along but it's not much less to haul then the 250. Didn't even think about sifting rather than digging. Thanks!!! Will have to try to get a carry bag for swag that can handle being wet with salt water and sand. Would like something clipped on my belt rather than carrying. I loose stuff easy :shock:

Didn't do the grid but followed the tracks beach patrol left and then walked the sides of it just to keep a straight line. Our beaches have been "restored" not too long ago but a regular occurrence (Cortez, Bradenton, Anna Maria) but might try the intercoastal side. Lots of folks hang out there, too. Also might try jetties, lots of flow and lots of traffic. Not comfortable wandering around lots of folks as I like private time at the beach and don't want someone swinging a detector in front of me while I'm trying to enjoy a sunset so I'll respect others.

As far as arm strength, yeah, I can tell that's not a motion my arms are used to. Maybe it will help my golf game, too.... yeah.... right... :laughing:

I live just up the coast from you, our beaches got re-nourished the summer after I started detecting. I made just as good finds that summer as I did the summer before, they were just "different" in how and where I found them. Also they were older too.There was one place I must have found 50 or 60 coins all in a row in an area about 10 feet long by 3 or 4 feet wide. Had to have been dredged up and spread out by the re-nourishing, so my point is do not give up because of the re-nourishment.

I have noticed that I find way more by gridding a section rather than just walking along in a straight line up and down the beach. Some days I'm just out for a walk and am happy with what ever I find, other days I like to really work the beach over.

Another area I like to hunt are the "cuts" formed at high tide. These are the ditches with water standing in them after the tide goes out.

See the darker blue trench running left to right? This was at high tide and when the tide goes out, I'd be in there with the 250 (since I have a water machine, I got in there right after this pic).

487991_10152557688765635_253336705_n.jpg

Another place that has always treated me right is the drainage ditches...

My sand scoop in about 6 inches of water and down about 4 inches into the sand, found a pocket spill of coins there. This is a drainage channel the runs down into the Gulf of Mexico (right behind me!) — at All over Florida, primarily Panama City Beach.

206235_10150526855115635_7914832_n.jpg

Here's an idea of how one particular beach treated me, not everything I found but it'll give you an idea of how it went...

1234270_10153138136590635_754891120_n.jpg

See the cut in the left side of the picture in the water? That is always under water, so not for the 250 but it shows you what to look for...

Thanks for the insight, very good info to learn by (helps the trial and error be a little less error).

So the tip of the pin pointer can have a thick cover and not impact the sensitivity? I'll try a few things, was thinking for the shrink tubing to be tight and thin. I'll try a few things but good to know.

Hoping "Santa" is bringing me an 8-1/2" X 11" DD so we'll find out in ten days :D Are the coils and base assembly all waterproof?

I have a Sand Flea rake (https://www.shoreproducts.com/) that we use for hunting shark teeth, might try to haul that along but it's not much less to haul then the 250. Didn't even think about sifting rather than digging. Thanks!!! Will have to try to get a carry bag for swag that can handle being wet with salt water and sand. Would like something clipped on my belt rather than carrying. I loose stuff easy :shock:

Didn't do the grid but followed the tracks beach patrol left and then walked the sides of it just to keep a straight line. Our beaches have been "restored" not too long ago but a regular occurrence (Cortez, Bradenton, Anna Maria) but might try the intercoastal side. Lots of folks hang out there, too. Also might try jetties, lots of flow and lots of traffic. Not comfortable wandering around lots of folks as I like private time at the beach and don't want someone swinging a detector in front of me while I'm trying to enjoy a sunset so I'll respect others.

As far as arm strength, yeah, I can tell that's not a motion my arms are used to. Maybe it will help my golf game, too.... yeah.... right... :laughing:

I experienced that as well when I started, now I swing a 5 pound detector and heft a 5 pound scoop for 6 to 8 hours in the water and 3 to 5 hours on the dry sand. You'll build up to it. One thing though, make sure your shaft length is not too short and try to relax your arm and "become one" with the detector. Try to make the detector an extension of your arm rather than carrying it. Hope that makes sense, I struggled for the words to describe it...:yes:

Robby is dead on. The Ace 250 was my first md. I started on the dry beach but found myself always ending up in the water. I switched to a DD coil and learned to adjust my settings accordingly and by that I mean I turned the sensitivity way down and discriminated iron. I hunt south jersey beaches which are heavily mineralized, and I find plenty. You'll false a lot if you scuff the sand or pass a heavy concentration of black sand, but you'll get used to swinging level and you'll learn the difference between a false and repeatable signal. Definitely get a coil cover. Be careful near the water or in the rain, only the shaft and coil are waterproof on the 250. Watch the tide charts. Negative low tides offer access to areas normally covered by water. Search this forum often. The knowledge base here is second to none. Some real nice people always willing to share. They've taught me a lot. Robby just gave you years of accumulated advice.
Enjoy and Happy Hunting.

first, we have had a bout of cold weather and as you have noticed, not to many people on the beach,,,second, the Ace will give false signals on wet sand unless you turn the sens to a lower level, like around 4,,,,as for pin pointers, they are useless in the sand,,,,,you will get used to tones/readings that are nowhere near gold and if it falls through the scoop, move on,,,for the arm being sore, it just takes muscle building,,,,I can remember that same feeling but my addiction to finding gold on the beach made me keep going,,,,it takes time, but you will get to where you can swing for hours on end,,,,not to say it won't take a toll on your body cause it will,,,,your body will tell you when you need to take some time off,,,,,gold is where it is found and it can be anywhere on a beach,,,realize we have a lot of competition on our beaches and even if you don't see anyone hunting, people hunt at night,,,,this HOBBY, is about patience and persistence,,,,,GL HH

On the beach - leave the pin pointer at home.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing I forgot...

If your coil is wet NEVER NEVER NEVER raise your coil above the height of your control box, ever! Actually, just don't ever do it...

Sorry for being so emphatic, but this is an important point to protect your MD. Believe it or not, my E-Trac is at more risk than our 250's in this respect, the shaft goes right INTO the housing on it! Water would run right down the shaft and straight into it.

GL & HH

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks and I'll re-read when I have more time and digest it all. Not sure I want to try to haul my long handled Sand Flea rake along with my detector, might have to invest in a hand scoop. Saw plastic ones you can aim your detector at which you couldn't do with the metal ones. But.... don't seem very durable. Will try the grid technique next time out. Have over two weeks off so hope I can find a day to head out. Didn't do much on first trip, also was pretty dang chilly and I was in my work cloths so wasn't about to dip myself in the tide. Wasn't doing bad switching off right-hand / left-hand so might keep working on that technique, balance the work, double the endurance :yes: And everything I found on the beach I used the pin pointer for, and it worked. Stuff was so packed with sand would of never found it.... unless I had a scoop.

Robby, can identify with all the features you described and know where plenty like that is. Hoping for my DD coil (come on Santa!!!). Hoping cooler weather keeps folks off the beach. Do you do any Florida historical searching? Was trying to find open areas "near" historical sites to not violate state/county rules. A few odds and ends but no big finds.

Also, being in Florida what the heck is up with those state park restrictions?!?!?!?! Not a professional archaeologist so can't hope for a 1A-32 F.A.C. Research Permit :mad: Was heading to a state park we've been to several times for New Years and know where some very historical spots are buried deep in the woods... was hoping but all hopes are dashed.

Maybe sill question, when shopping for a scoop, it appears metal is best (would like stainless but will settle for galvanized)... but is there any advantage of the square cutouts or round cutouts??? Does it make a difference????

I like the square metal wire hand scoops contact rich at colonial and he will hook you up they are around $50 but it is a great scoop

If your up for a little drive to Tampa I have about 15 different styles of scoops in stock. Also when you are at the beach leave your pinpointer at home. Put a coil cover on the Ace and scrub the sand. HH phil

I have coils and covers too!

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks and I'll re-read when I have more time and digest it all. Not sure I want to try to haul my long handled Sand Flea rake along with my detector, might have to invest in a hand scoop. Saw plastic ones you can aim your detector at which you couldn't do with the metal ones. But.... don't seem very durable. Will try the grid technique next time out. Have over two weeks off so hope I can find a day to head out. Didn't do much on first trip, also was pretty dang chilly and I was in my work cloths so wasn't about to dip myself in the tide. Wasn't doing bad switching off right-hand / left-hand so might keep working on that technique, balance the work, double the endurance :yes: And everything I found on the beach I used the pin pointer for, and it worked. Stuff was so packed with sand would of never found it.... unless I had a scoop.

Robby, can identify with all the features you described and know where plenty like that is. Hoping for my DD coil (come on Santa!!!). Hoping cooler weather keeps folks off the beach. Do you do any Florida historical searching? Was trying to find open areas "near" historical sites to not violate state/county rules. A few odds and ends but no big finds.

Also, being in Florida what the heck is up with those state park restrictions?!?!?!?! Not a professional archaeologist so can't hope for a 1A-32 F.A.C. Research Permit :mad: Was heading to a state park we've been to several times for New Years and know where some very historical spots are buried deep in the woods... was hoping but all hopes are dashed.

If your up for a little drive to Tampa I have about 15 different styles of scoops in stock. Also when you are at the beach leave your pinpointer at home. Put a coil cover on the Ace and scrub the sand. HH phil

What features are you talking about?

I have never been told NO at a State Park BEACH, in the park proper however is a NO. Get a scoop. It makes beach hunting wayyyyy more fun. I have the 2 scoop deal from Rich at Colonial. I'm sure Phil has similar AND you'll be able to walk in and handle them to see which you like!

Dang, wish I'd of read this sooner, yesterday I ordered a scoop online, not the greatest but hoping one to at least try out. Will need a cover, too, so will look up your store and see when we're in the area.

If your coil is wet NEVER NEVER NEVER raise your coil above the height of your control box, ever! Actually, just don't ever do it... Sorry for being so emphatic, but this is an important point to protect your MD. Believe it or not, my E-Trac is at more risk than our 250's in this respect, the shaft goes right INTO the housing on it! Water would run right down the shaft and straight into it.

Hey Robby,

Was thinking about this and could we take the tubes apart on the 250 (or any detector) and either shoot some silicone caulk into the upper tube or maybe shove the nozzle of some of that spray foam sealant (Great Stuff?) into it and seal the upper tube off? That way if you did accidentally tilt the wet coil upwards the water wouldn't have anywhere to go. Just a thought....

Hey Robby,

Was thinking about this and could we take the tubes apart on the 250 (or any detector) and either shoot some silicone caulk into the upper tube or maybe shove the nozzle of some of that spray foam sealant (Great Stuff?) into it and seal the upper tube off? That way if you did accidentally tilt the wet coil upwards the water wouldn't have anywhere to go. Just a thought....

Sure, you could I suppose but then adjusting the length is over with and what about the water that would run down the outside of the shaft as well? It's just really best not to make the control lower than the coil, even a day or two after getting it wet...

Back
Top Bottom