Repairs

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Well i got an opportunity to do a headphone repair today. I had just sent one of my detectors in for repair/upgrade. Soooo as Murphy would have it my GGA went south with the dreaded snap crackle pop. Located the problem and ended up having to contact a friend for HELP. I found you need 3 or 4 hands to do soldering.:lol: Even the waterproof connectors can fail. Ended up i couldnt get the one wire to take any solder. Finally .... after cutting the wire back a good 8" a little at a time..... i realized that wire wasnt supposed to be gray. Its what salt water does. I was surprised how far up the it can get. I spent a good 2 hours or so ...... electronics can drive you to Turrets and drinking. Only way to learn ..... is jump right in. Time i started trying to do more of my repairs since i break a LOT of stuff.:laughing: Getting to the point id prefer NOT to have to send my machines in if i can get the parts and do the work WITHOUT a SNAFU. You learn by repetition ..... well i sure got that today.

Dew

Well i got an opportunity to do a headphone repair today. I had just sent one of my detectors in for repair/upgrade. Soooo as Murphy would have it my GGA went south with the dreaded snap crackle pop. Located the problem and ended up having to contact a friend for HELP. I found you need 3 or 4 hands to do soldering.:lol: Even the waterproof connectors can fail. Ended up i couldnt get the one wire to take any solder. Finally .... after cutting the wire back a good 8" a little at a time..... i realized that wire wasnt supposed to be gray. Its what salt water does. I was surprised how far up the it can get. I spent a good 2 hours or so ...... electronics can drive you to Turrets and drinking. Only way to learn ..... is jump right in. Time i started trying to do more of my repairs since i break a LOT of stuff.:laughing: Getting to the point id prefer NOT to have to send my machines in if i can get the parts and do the work WITHOUT a SNAFU. You learn by repetition ..... well i sure got that today.

Dew

Ah s***! That is what my excal is doing! Didn't think it was the GG headphones. Better than being the unit though

99% of the time ..... if you have crackle its salt water damage to the phones. Hey thats a good thing over it being the board.

Dew

I couldn't agree with you more Dew. Even though some of the connectors are " top of the line " I'm paranoid about using them because it's just another place to leak. I'm a hard wire guy and even than there can be problems.

I guess it goes with the territory when we're submerging our machines. I wouldn't have any concerns if I had the talent OBN, Mel and others have but I don't, so I like to keep it SIMPLE.

Hope all goes well for you and you get your machine back soon.

Glad to hear you were able to do it yourself, soldering is a bit tricky when you first try it, but you can practice with some spare wire until you build up your confidence. Good job!

personally, I was not impressed with the GGA,,,,,however, they are comfortable and have a nice long wire,,,,,,I hope it lasts for you,,,I hope you get these repairs mastered so you can fix mine when they break,,,:laughing:I agree, only way to learn is to jump right at it,,,,, especially if its already broke, you have not much to loose,,GL HH

Dew after I experienced a few of the M12 connectors having this issue I have started filling the void area that sometimes leaks with a 2 part epoxy. I know some of the first I did had this problem, and since I have been doing I have cured the issue I believe. As time goes by and we learn, we adjust, and improve.

As a previous plumber too I swear by teflon for keeping most water out. Ive had good success unscrewing those nuts and using the tape. Id bet it will be around longer than epoxy on plastic if you get movement. Taping those cables coming out the top of the pod is a must to help stop cable wire breakage. Appreciate the work u do for all of us Joe. I dont want to get to good at this Tim.

Tape all you want Dew but put epoxy around the ends of the wire AND the solder joints. IF water gets past your Teflon tape, it won't get past the epoxy nor wick up your wires if it is potted in epoxy.

Cliff

If you're going to beach hunt, you have to learn how to do your own repairs...or else have money to burn to get broken gear fixed:lol: I learned real quick the beach is extremely rough on stuff:yes: If you watch OBN's videos on the subject, have basic skills and a soldering iron, Excalibur repairs aren't that hard to do. I bought one all apart in a box, sourced the missing pieces, got several Heyco's from Joe...had to solder the coil and battery wires back to the board, and redo the headphone wires due to static as Dew mentioned...sealed the wires thru the endcaps with 2 part epoxy and replaced/relubed all the o-rings. It works well, doesn't leak...and now I know how to fix one when it becomes necessary.

Not many that I know have broken what I have.m..ask Joe and ML. Its. Knowing WHAT parts to order is mostly the problem. Id say putting it together is the easest part...... if I can take something apart I can normally put it back.

You guys would die if you knew how much I have spent in shipping this year for repairs. It is almost like a bad joke how many break downs that I have had. After all that money spent, I now have 3 of my 5 machines broke down again!

Boy ya i feel your pain OTS. Id hate to be dealing with the shipping issues you do. Ive been impressed with Kelleyco repairs and willlingness to do some mods we all would like to have. Dave and Barry are more than fair to work with. Captain..... wow impressive my man.

Dew

Not many that I know have broken what I have.m..ask Joe and ML. Its. Knowing WHAT parts to order is mostly the problem. Id say putting it together is the easest part...... if I can take something apart I can normally put it back.

You put lots of miles on yours. I have a friend who commercial fishes 6 or 7 days a week. That brand new outboard that lasts most a long time, he wears out in two years and trades in. Someone gets one of his outboards he trades in has no idea they are buying a motor with thousands of hours on it:lol:

You have Turrets to !!! Yea , I have one wall in the house that has nothing hanging on it , so when the Turrets hit , that's the wall I throw the stuff at .

As a previous plumber too I swear by teflon for keeping most water out. Ive had good success unscrewing those nuts and using the tape. Id bet it will be around longer than epoxy on plastic if you get movement. Taping those cables coming out the top of the pod is a must to help stop cable wire breakage. Appreciate the work u do for all of us Joe. I dont want to get to good at this Tim.

Dew,
I had to buy a new furnace this week. OUCH:mad: 53 in the house before the install

Well when it rains it pours. Just getting my other machine back tomorrow. Yesterday i was hunting an heard a bit of a crackle.... ive learned to stop and check it out. I assumed it was the headphone id just fixed. Then noticed the connector entering the pod cap from the battery was loose. Never had that happen so i gave it a push and a couple of turns. Seemed tight, but like the threads were stripped. Finished hunting and took a look when i got home. I was surprised to see the connector had broke away from the pod. Looked like there is a plastic insert into the male that came completely out. That insert is where the cable enters the cap. So my fix was using loctite marine epoxy ..... same stuff i use on my coil cover..... tuff as nails. Not a lot of movement to that connector. Soooo what i suggest is watching HOW you take off your battery. Disconnect the connector first..... DONT disconnect the battery from the shaft and let it hang.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom