Question for the Minelab owners about gold

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
This might be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway........

I usually only dig targets with higher tones such as coins and silver rings. I've only ever dug the lower tones on a few occasions apart from nickels which seem to always give a signal of around 12-13.
My question is, what kind of numbers do you get from gold targets? I would love to dig an old gold ring but the way I detect that'll probably never happen. I also don't want to dig everything when I'm in someone's yard and have it look terrible after all the plugs dry out and die.

Any help from you Minelab users would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There is no specific number. ID for gold items will vary depending on size and kt. On trashy sites, I usually dig anything from 12-09 on up knowing that I'm giving up some small gold items in exchange for skipping past foil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is obviously from an ATP runner...

But, I'm sure my prospective opinion would be shared, by anyone who has found a piece gold over 100 times..

Gold is exactly where it was dropped, and based on alloy content, and size, usually hits, between, just as iron leaves off, and a zinc penny starts...

But there is what is called a high tone gold, BIG, usually..

Good luck Tundra!

<°)))>{

Can't say, as I never use the numbers. I use smart find target ID, and somewhere between a zincoln and a nickel signal. I've also dug thousands of pull tab, foil and nickel signals over nine years, and have never dug a gold ring in the turf.

Its a good study...Hunting gold is another subset skill within this Sport that you can learn...We have seen your finds, you have some nice old dirt up there, so get to know what the various denominations of gold coins sound like on your rig for sure, and if you get in some old dirt, focus up on those signals...A gold coin is a trophy Bucket List item for many, and you have a decent chance seeing what and where you hunt...In fact, you may have already had your coil over one or two by now, and just didnt dig that low conductor...:laughing:

Park/totlot/snowpile zone/sportsfields/beach or water, for gold jewelry is a different type of study...Not only for rings, but the chains....Read/study a lot of posts by these kinds of successful Gold Hunters, see if you can determine a common pattern that you can employ in your area and with your rig? (Hint: Get good and fast on retrieval and work the numbers in likely areas)

The majority of the gold is found by the Waterbabies...thats their focus and intent!...Totlotters get a goodly amount, Cladhammers do too... But In your case, you may enjoy reading and studying Forum Member Beepheads posts since he hunts private yards for silver like you do, even though he doesnt run a 'Lab, you can get the idea from looking at his posts and Junkshots...He finds his share of gold rings/season and even got a Gold coin once.

CAUTION: It only takes ONE gold item found to really give you the fever!...The skills you already have can translate over for GOLD! Study it, especially study the habits and travel patterns of people that wear it, lots of gold rings lost in the 60's/70's...commit to finding it and you will!...Gold is a cruel Mistress..maybe just be happy with the occasional accidental bycatch and call it a day?..Good Luck!

Last edited:
You've gotten great answers so far. Gold can read anywhere. Like a monster honker men's college ring could read at zinc-Ish. A $20 reads at about penny, etc...

And BTW: this doesn't mean that the trick to finding gold is "dig trash till your arms fall off ". But instead, the MUCH BIGGER factor for finding gold is location, location, location. Hit swimming beaches, not junky turf, if gold rings are your objective.

If you're cherry picking you're missing neat stuff. You're also missing lots of junk, so if you want gold you have to dig some junk.

I did a test run with my gold rings and some of my old silver coins, and this is what I found...

My three rings I normally wear, engagement w/about 1 ct diamond, wedding band, each rang at 12-03 and the emerald at 12-7. A tiny but stocky baby ring rang at 12-13. The men's gold ring I found last month, 10 grams and wide heavy band, rang at 12-35/36, right in there with zinc pennies and bottle caps.

I thought it interesting that my rings rang the same, 12-03, so every 12-03 signal I get, I dig. Nothing good yet, but that seems like at least one "magic number" to look for. I also dig all nickel signals and now all zincs. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff though, it's just part of the game I think.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Great replies. I just set up my "gold pattern" last night. On the CTX..11-13 FE 0-40 CO with 15,16 CO blanked out. It's very specific,not very scientific and should be frustratingly-rific but I'm giving it a shot. FE CO separation,50 tone. I'll dig 15-20 signals per hunt and go back to silver shooting when I'm done with those. As Mud said..it's a subset of skills that can carry over into an entirely different realm of hunting. Ball fields are my favorite and highest producing places for ANYTHING, why not gold too? BTW...50 tone because at that point the QUALITY and smoothness of the signal can count for ALOT. Another door opens...

I use a lot of different detectors, but for the record my gold ring count drops to near zero when I'm not swinging a Tesoro. Just set the discrimination just high enough on a Tesoro to discriminate out nails and start digging all solid repeatable audio tones. If you dig enough targets you'll find a gold ring. Granted I find more silver coins using other detectors because I tend to cherry pick the high tones. Keep in mind it takes a lot of silver coins to equal one gold ring in value. I mostly cherry pick in the Summer months, because of the heat.

beephead

Thanks for all the great info everyone. It's kind of starting to sound like I should be just digging everything. I'm sure I'm going to dig tons of junk but if there's a chance I might dig up an old gold coin I think I might be up for it. I may have to dig out my class ring and maybe a couple gold coins and see what they come in as. I really wish gold came in screaming a high tone like silver does!

TundraPlugger;2806850 I really wish gold came in screaming a high tone like silver does![/QUOTE said:
When you get really serious about looking for gold, you will find a lot of silver in the lower range too..

Broken rings, spoon rings, chains, earrings, bracelets..

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom