List of must have items on a hunt?

unojc

So being new and going beyond my own yard to hunt tomorrow for 3-5 hours, what are the essential list of item you must have? Im curious. I have...

-Propointer
-MDer
-Hand digger/shovel/whateveryouwannacallit
-Water
-Pouch/carrying bag for finds/junk
-Extra batteries

What am I missing?

Tick repellent if you're going in an area where ticks might be (or at least check yourself for ticks afterwards)

High boots if in an area that might have snakes

Protection from the UV rays of the sun, lotion and/or wide brim hat.

Gloves

fully charged cellphone

I like to have an assortment of brushes to partially clean items on site. wal mart sells a cheap pack of three different bristle brushes. A nylon, brass, and steel wire, getting progressively stiffer. Knee pads help. Stay hydrated. Start with fully charged phone if going way out there. A phone app called ONX Hunt works great for determining where public property ends and private property begins. Gloves. A magnet for determining if ferrous metal or not. If mosquito season, any 20% deet works wonders. Skeeters love me (cuz I drink beer I understand) so I basically have to puncture a can and while it's spinning on the ground I breakdance all over it. Then I'm ready to hit the woods :)

If I am digging a yard or public property I usually take a small hand towel. If I remove any dirt after the plug I put it on the towel. I dump it all back in the hole and replace the plug. Keeps the ground looking good. If I'm in the woods or fields I don't worry about it.

Sun hat or kint hat to keep your head warm. Pocket knife might be handy all I ever used it was to get dirt out of pp speakers. If your going to be out in the wild bring first aid kit you can keep it in your pack the car or at the edge of the field.

So being new and going beyond my own yard to hunt tomorrow for 3-5 hours, what are the essential list of item you must have? Im curious. I have...

-Propointer
-MDer
-Hand digger/shovel/whateveryouwannacallit
-Water
-Pouch/carrying bag for finds/junk
-Extra batteries

What am I missing?

Looks like you have it covered.

This has been discussed on here a lot of times and Ive seen people list enough extra baggage to invade a small country and hold out until reinforcements arrive :lol:

Its good to think ahead , but you will probably find that traveling " light " usually saves you a lot of trouble in the long run , and keeping it simple is a lot less work. If you are going on an all day hunt or going very far from home , deep into the woods , or whatever you would probably want to pack some extra gear but it looks like you have the bases covered for a hunt that short. It pays to be prepared , but overthinking the situation can turn what should be a fun time into something more resembling work.

Not everybody feels they need the same things , and at some sites or certain times of the year some items are pretty much useless. Experience will show you what you " personally " should take with you , which may be very different from others " must have " items.

I would add gloves to your kit though , if you haven't already. The one thing that can ruin your day more than anything else is cutting your fingers open or getting poked with something sharp while out there.

What usually works for me personally , is detector , digger , pouch , and gloves .......for 95% of my hunts 2 to 5 hours time. Sometimes I bring a bottle of water , and sometimes when I don't I wish I did. Ive started wearing knee pads sometimes , but sometimes they aren't really necessary.

Depending on where you will be detecting.. maybe permission

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the responses. Yes permission has been obtained. Gonna add gloves and knee pads for sure. Not near chicago so no cc is needed thankfully. I like the idea of a pill bottle or something in my pouch to keep the good stuff, sounds like a good idea.

You all rock!

My pack list

Local parks,schools etc.:
cell phone,MD,extra battery/batteries,PP w/extra battery,digger,pouch,golf club cleaning brush (has both stainless steel and nylon bristles),garden pruner for roots,pocket knife,a snuff can for the smaller good finds,if it's wet I'll bring knee pads,gloves,(one or two times ripping a finger open on can slaw,glass or rusty sharp iron will make you remember to bring those),1st aid kit in case you don't...lol,maybe a snack or two.

being that the vehicle is usually close in these spots I don't pack around the extra batteries,first aid kit,or bring water since there's usually a fountain in these type spots unless you're a freak about drinking from a public fountain.

Woods,fields,off the beaten paths:

besides the list above a lunch,ice chest with cold waters,liquid refreshments,shovel,insect repellent,if sunny a wide brim hat and sunscreen.my back up detector...nothing worse than driving an hour or two to a spot and have your detector go on the fritz,and it has happened to me,fortunately I had my back up that time or else the day would have been ruined for two of us.

If you are a water hunter, you dont even need pants! Or buttwipe either! Just a detector, a scoop and a finds pouch that doubles as a 'breech cloth' of sorts...

Being a bit modest, I wear a small speedo style garment to traverse the beach, then, once in the water up to my waist, I peel it off and put it on my head like an UnderArmour beanie! It keeps the sun from burning up my bald noggin, and the leg holes allow the phones to fit snugly over my ears too! Perfect!

Any calls of nature are simply addressed while hunting along without any fanfare or need of further effort...All liquids are quickly diluted, and the ever hovering opportunistic seagulls take care of any floating solids, so its a WinWin for everybody!:laughing: Quite a comfortably refreshing and simple way to hunt...Minimalist style!

I suppose you can attempt this in a yard too? Or hunting along a curbstrip or at a Sportsfield or totlot? Give it a Try and report back!! :laughing:

Last edited:
I hope it's not too late to catch you before you go out ..
But a spare digging tool may be needed depending what you have started with.
Most garden center tools are not like the tools we end up with after hunting a wile. I remember early hunts cut very short after breaking one . Also a small towel is important. As you carefully remove your dirt place it on the towel . Very easy to fold and let fall back into the plug later. Take your time and practice not leaving much of a trace . Spring can be muddy and a simple plug can look a lot worse just because of the loose dirt laying around until a hard rain.
just go have fun đź‘Ť
And looking forward to your next report .
, Dew

Depending on your age a loupe at 10x or greater can save you trips to the jeweler, by allowing you to see the stampings inside rings and on other pieces of jewelry. In a pinch a magnifying glass smartphone app has aided me as well.

i agree with all above, but especially make note of taking 1: knee pads, they work wonders for me (old man with bad knees) and save a lot of grass stained pants...2: towel for scooping dirt onto, then pouring it back into hole, but what i use for the past 25 years is a approx 14x14 inch piece of plastic sheeting...dirt doesnt stick to it, folds up easily and if it blows off into the wind, cheap to replace!! lol works great...

Back
Top Bottom