I got my first Tesoro

HistoryStudent

I've been using an AT Pro and a T2 SE for a while but I've always been curious about Tesoro machines so after doing some research, I decided to buy a used Tesoro Golden uMax. I chose the Golden because it has multi-tones and I really like that Notch Width and Narrow/Wide option.

I'll probably add a Ground Balance knob eventually. I'm very curious to see how well it discriminates out iron. I'll be taking it to a spot that I've hammered with my AT Pro and T2 but since they are utterly incapable of discriminating out iron nails, this Golden might help me find a few things they missed due to masking. Of course, Tesoro's famous discrimination could all be a bunch of hype but I hope not.

I can't speak for that model, but I have had Tesoro since the mid 80's and never a problem. They are good machines, but then I like Ford and you like Chevy. joe

Beephead or Pinenut are two people to ask questions on the Golden. I never got a Golden, too high priced when I decided to look at them. I only wished I had one or two to sell when they were bringing ungodly prices.:laughing:

A couple of years ago I won a auction on ebay for a Tesoro silver sabre. It came with a letter from Rusty at Tesoro about an operational inspection and it's overall funtionality. I hunt with the Silver Sabre at near maximum sensitivity and just over the 4 on descrimination. My only complaint is how nice of a signal those darn pull tabs give off...:p. Average target depth is about 3 to 4 inches with a few finds near the 6 to 7 inch range. This varies in soil conditions and size of the target of course.

It's quick target response and light weight make it a real pleasure to swing. I love it.

HDD

I have to say that I am very impressed with how well the Golden discriminates out iron. I did a comparison with my AT Pro on a spot that is particularly thick with iron nails (bent nails and tack nails.) The AT Pro chirps and chatters over that area, even with iron discrim set to 40 and sensitivity down three bars. The Tesoro Golden is nearly silent when set on nickel and sens at 8.

Well, the Golden was quiet until it found two mercs and 3 silver quarters. ??? I ran the AT Pro over those coins for comparison and all it did was chirp and chatter as usual. It couldn't lock onto the coins from any direction because of the nails mixed in but the Golden found them very clearly.

Bent nails and tack nails (for shingles) seem to trick the AT Pro for just a split second into giving a high chirp and chattery noises. Even with the 5x8 coil.

I don't know how Tesoro does it but the iron discrimination is so much better than the AT Pro and T2 -and with very little fiddling with settings. In fact, I haven't even tried the notch adjustments yet since there aren't many tabs in this spot. It's just weird to me how a 17 year old detector can discriminate so much better than a 2017 T2 and a 2011 AT Pro.

Congrats on the sweet Tesoro đź‘Ť In this world of great machines Tesoro has a way of being able to almost magically do things others can not . Thank goodness there are no rules against owning more than one brand .
I'll never take my Vaquero out of the game . But someone hafta ride the bench .
It's funny how when I find something with one of my heavy hitter machines I wonder if the other would have been able to do it . It's amaizing how doors can open on the same patch of dirt with something so sensitive . If it's an odd shaped piece of julery with a combination of metals that Tesoro will scream !!! Dig ME Now!!! My Etrac of which I absolutely love will sound like a garbled mess. Obviously Minelab also has its advantages on super deep silver coins but swinging either machine gives me plenty of confidence that I can save a few keepers and go deep .
Enjoy getting to know your new rig ! congrats
, Dew

Back
Top Bottom