Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM

Default Returning to the hobby

Hello all,

Getting back into the hobby after a 4 year break. Ive owned an older whites machine, a tesoro vaquero and a minelab etrac in the past. I LOVED the etrac but im not really up on current technology. Are there any new cheaper alternatives these days for detectors? i dont really have $1500 to spend on a once in a while pursuit.

What do some of you folks recommend? besides ebay and craigslist, are there any other places to look for used gear?

Thanks again!
NavyDT

Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Supporter

Smile

Welcome back , check with the sponsors , also may help to start a post looking for used MD , they will chime in ! ,,,,,HH

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Supporter

Welcome back, from northeastern North Carolina !

Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Pro-Pointer, Whites TRX, Jolly Roger Phones, Lesche Digger, 31" Sampson, 31" Relic Hunter, RTG Scoop
Oldest Coin (1910 Barber Dime), Best Find (CW 3-ringer), Strangest Find (Urn Lid)
Clad Count (1933 coins)/($190.01)

Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Alright so ive kinda narrowed it down to 3 detectors

Etrac - used the machine extensively, what i can remember is it was a little slow but good on deep coins in some what trashy areas - was kinda heavy

Makro Racer 2 - Lots of good stuff on youtube, seams like a AT Pro/ Cheaper version of a XP Duce. what is your guys take on this one?

XP DEUS - again no experience so im hoping you guys can help me, but seams like a light, fast responding machine that has OK depth and good iron discriminiation if you can learn the tones, some people love them some dont.

What are your takes? any suggestions?

I plan on mostly coin shooting in parks or fields. ive been known to get out to some old homestead sites on occasion if i can find any.

If there are any sponsors out there with some used equipment shoot me a PM

Old 03-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Default sorry never owned any of these

but I will vouch for my mxt being a good coin finder. just need the 6x10 coil if you are in a real trashy area. at pro is another good unit and for the price hard to beat for a coin shooter. I am curious why not another vaquero everyone seems to say its a good coin machine and goes deep to get them yet you had one and are not considering another. what was your take on your old vaquero?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by edword View post
but I will vouch for my mxt being a good coin finder. just need the 6x10 coil if you are in a real trashy area. at pro is another good unit and for the price hard to beat for a coin shooter. I am curious why not another vaquero everyone seems to say its a good coin machine and goes deep to get them yet you had one and are not considering another. what was your take on your old vaquero?
It was more of a beep dig machine. I dug a ton of trash with it. I had a whites mxt at one point, it didn't do to well in the trashy areas I hunt. I used to find all sorts of stuff with my etrac from hunted out spots but to do it right it was really slow, my buddies would cover 2x the ground. I don't know I guess Im just seeing what's out there

Sent from my Pixel XL

Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Default ok thanks for the reply.

there are so many good machines these days its hard to decide anymore. it can really get your head spinning when you start looking for one. good luck in your search.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Trashy area ..ok I'd get the ATPro (with 5x8 also) over the Racer and the Deus over all the ones you listed.

I hunt in iron, trash and junk that would make Fred Sanford run for cover.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Last edited by Dsm_mechva; 03-20-2017 at 09:40 PM.