Meteorite?

Spoonsize

Yes, there seems to be a crust on the surface.
Yes, it is attracted to a magnet.
Yes, a small polished surface does shine silvery.
It's about 7/16th diameter.

What say you?

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 338
Possibly

Not really sure if that is fusion crust. How heavy is it?
Have you tried a scratch test on the inside of a toilet tank lid and if so, black or grey?
Water displacement and weight might help too.
If those go well I would test iron/nickel content.

interesting shape, however most meteorites with that shape show some edge ablation where metal has melted on the convex side and flowed towards the edge of the disk.

Looks more like a drip of hot molten iron that landed on something hard and then solidified....was then buried and rusted to final appearance. Maybe on a farm or around a blacksmith's shop.

It could be a meteorite. There are a lot more different kind of meteorites out there. It looks like it could be iron, what some space rocks are made of. But not all meteorites are made of iron. Or it could be something inside of the outer crust. Over the years, it just gets corrosion. Which that makes it have a rock appearance.

gotta go with.....

Looks more like a drip of hot molten iron that landed on something hard and then solidified....was then buried and rusted to final appearance.

DANG.

Sucks doesn't it?

I know the pain. I pulled a huge chunk of steel once that was slightly magnetic and appeared to have fusion crust... only to discover a foundry was there a hundred years ago.

Back
Top Bottom