$30 s/s scoop with wood handle (no welding)

coin chaser

Forum Supporter
So here's my beach scoop. I used a asparagus cooking pot from bed bath and beyond. It was $20 with a 20% off coupon. I removed the handles and cut the rim off the top of it then drilled the holes. The handle is a pitchfork handle from menards for $8 and it has a nice curve on the bottom and hole drilled in the end already. I used a hole saw just a bit smaller then the handle to make the hole in the pot for the handle to slide through. I stood the scoop up and hit it on the ground holding the pot to force the pot down on the handle for a tight fit. I then used a 3 1/2" x 5/8" bolt with washer through the bottom of the pot in to the handle. With the handle through the pot there is a lot of leverage when you are scooping sand so there is no need for braceing. I used it in michigan on the beach with lots of fist sized rocks and it held up great. You cant beat the price for a scoop that will hold up for some time and was easy to make. Thanks for looking! GL & HH

Attachments

• DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 2,757
  • DSC_0124.jpg
    DSC_0124.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,739
  • DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 2,749
  • DSC_01251.jpg
    DSC_01251.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,460
Looks great, this is the route I'm heading when inget a beach scoop.

Thanks guys, I used it a week strait and no signs of weakness! And I was burying it to the handle and prying it right out and not holding back or taking it easy on it. I highly recommend this project for anyone that doesn't beach hunt 7 days a week 8 hours a day or want to spend $180 on a scoop. I know the quality you get for $180 is better but I'm not a full time beach hunter and this DIY scoop will last a long,long time.

Hey coin chaser, is that a lag bolt/lag screw that was used to attach the handle? Looks like a project I would like to try. Thanks, Ron.

Hey coin chaser, is that a lag bolt/lag screw that was used to attach the handle? Looks like a project I would like to try. Thanks, Ron.

Yep, the pitch fork handle has a hole in the shaft already and i think the lag bolt was 5/16 x 3.5" to fit the hole. It was a very tight fit though. Another tip is the holes are 1/2" and I made a grid so each center point was 3/4" apart. This will leave you 1/4" of material between the holes. Tomorrow I will try to take the scoop apart and post some pics of the handle, lag, and scoop seperate to help with making one. Any other questions feel free to ask. GL&HH

very nice job on the scoop.........i'm not gonna ask why you were in bed bath and beyond :lol:

Nice Job!!

Did you have any trouble with your target getting stuck behind the handle?

Thanks for sharing with the great pics & description!

Wow an old post back alive again! Thanks for all the great comments. I said before I would take it apart and try and do some break down pictures for helping anyone trying to make one but forgot all about it, my bad:(. I will try to do it in the next few days.

very nice job on the scoop.........i'm not gonna ask why you were in bed bath and beyond :lol:

And I'm not going to tell!!:laughing:

Did you have any trouble with your target getting stuck behind the handle?

Thanks for sharing with the great pics & description!

Not at all and the beach I used it at was full of rocks up to about the size of a baseball.

Was it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005O0P1...e=395261&creativeASIN=B00005O0P1&linkCode=asn

I am wanting to do this so bad since I just got my Tiger!

Thanks bud

The one I got was stainless steel made by denmark 3 1/2 quart for $25. Google "Bed Bath and Beyond" when on their website search "asaragus" and it will come up (sorry I don't know how to do links!). They always have 20% off coupons and you can probably find them online. If you need any other help feel free to ask and I will help as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom