Newbie suggestions

B

bradktn

First off, I'd like to comment on how friendly a board this seems to be; I've been lurking the last couple of days, and have been impressed with the relaxed, cordial, atmosphere around here.

Now to my question:  I've never even picked up a metal detector, but have been thinking about purchasing one for a while.  I've done a bit of research, have narrowed my price range down to $250, +/-.  I live in the hills of east Tennessee, red clay, shale, etc.  I want a detector that will work well in my area, plus I go to the beach at least once a year, and would use it there.  Most of my hunting around here would be at campgrounds, parks, etc.  I imagine it being mostly coins and jewelry, occasional relic hunts.

I also want to keep it simple.  the fewer knobs, buttons, switches, dials, to get the job done, the better.  Again, I'm a total newbie. 

There are actually two dedicated MD stores in my area, one selling White's and the other everything else, and I will certainly check them out and get their advice, but I wanted to go ahead and post and see what comes up.  BTW I currently like the looks of the Tesoro Silver uMax...

welcome to the forum, being a newbie also i can't suggest a detector but there are a lot of folks here that can. hope to see some post soon of your finds.

Brad -
If you read enough - all of the folks would recommend the ACE 250 in that price range. I had also considered getting the ACE but Radio Shack had put the BH Discovery 3300 on clearance sale for $112. I have had it for 2 weeks have used it on 4 seperate outings and have been successful each time. I would only get it for that price...if not, the ACE 250 would probably be your best bet. Its usually around $200. Good luck and happy hunting! :yes:

If your going to be hunting salt water beaches then the 250 might not be a good choice. If the beach thing is just a very small part of your hunting plan then the 250 will do the job easily.

I have heard that some of the soil in Tennessee is quite mineralized but I don't know. If this is the case you may want a machine with ground balance adjustment. The Tesoro Vaquero is a favorite of mine, but there are others as well.

I have only been using a MD for 2 weeks but I can tell you to get a detector that has a pinpointer built in like the Ace. I did my first week with a MD that didn't have a built in pinpointer I did a lot of digging. I then upgraded to one with a built in pinpointer saved me so much digging. I also built a handheld pinpointer from a Little Wizard II stud finder so I don't have to keep picking up the MD to find the target in the dirt I dig.

Back
Top Bottom