"Momentary on" button mod for Pro Pointer?

Dougmeister

Elite Member
Wasn't there a thread that talked about doing this? If so, I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?

I recall several people warning that taking the Pro Pointer apart (the button, at least) is no small feat.

yes, one small "flaw" with the Pro Pointer IMO is the location of the little speaker holes.... right beside the switch! i guess Garrett didn't think people would get their hands full of dirt and mud when they use the PP'er, lol.
they're a great little rig, well worth the expense. mine is going on about 3 years now, but i did have switch issues when i took it apart to try cleaning the dirt from that speaker hole. long story short, i ended up adding a new toggle switch, black-taped to the side of my PP'er. :roll: :lol: it's not quite as water resistant now, but it still does the job for me. i'll have to take a pic of it someday when i get a chance. ;)

i think if you were to slightly modify the stock switch and remove the part that "clicks" it on/off, you'll be left with a momentary on button. just leave the contact part and the spring in place, but take out the "catch". i'm not quite sure why you'd want it like that though. :?:

Then I wouldn't have to keep turning it on and off every time I want to check a target.

Doesn't *everyone* hate that? Or do you all leave it on all the time.?

There's no taking that micro switch apart. I couldn't believe how small the parts are. Mine has a toggle on the outside also.

Everytime you turn on the PP, it initializes, calibrates itself, takes a second, beeps twice when done. Regardless of the switch, you still have to run through the program before using it. Don't think a momentary switch would all that beneficial, since you would need to keep it depressed. Microcontrollers can act erratically, with interrupted, or noisy power supplies. The microcontroller 'brain', is what automatically adjusts the threshold, and provides the 'cool' distance tracing feature, that makes it 'worth' the $127.50. Impressive, for a part that costs less than $10...

By "adjusts the threshold", do you mean ground - balancing?

And what is this "cool distance tracing feature"?

There is no ground balancing. The threshold, is the highest level, before the pinpointer starts to sound. On the lesser pinpointers, this done manually, with a knob. The distance tracing, is where the beeping/vibrations get faster, more intense, as the wand gets closer to metal, fades out as you pass by. Cute, but not really of huge value...

Instead of pushing the switch all the way in, push it just until you hear it beep and hold the button there. When you let go of the button the pointer will turn off.

I turn mine on at each target and leave it on until I find it. You can also turn it off and back on to narrow down the find just like the pinpointing on your detector.

Leave it on while using it. Turn it off when target is found. I've used PP's with a momentary button and they are a pain. The speaker holes are there for me to pack with mud so I don't hear the loud beeping.

There's a post somewhere on here or Findmall where a guy put a micro mercury switch where the 9V batter goes and it goes on and off just by turning it upright.

Super simple to do and the mercury switch ( I think I got 6 in the package )are VERY inexpensive. Something you might want to consider .

I sent mine back it took about 10 days they put a new switch in it and never had anymore trouble with it. For free that's if you can go without it for 10 days.

There's a post somewhere on here or Findmall where a guy put a micro mercury switch where the 9V batter goes and it goes on and off just by turning it upright.

Super simple to do and the mercury switch ( I think I got 6 in the package )are VERY inexpensive. Something you might want to consider .

that would be cool! only downside to that is when you want to do the quick of/on again to detune it. i guess turn it upside down and upright again fairly quickly. i think i'll just stick with my toggle switch for now, lol. ;)

You'd have to find another way to carry it or it would be on all the time unless it only works when the original button is on.

I put a piece of clear packing tape over the speaker hole and then put tiny holes in the tape to let more sound out. I'll have to wait and see how long the tape holds up with the pin holes. The last time I did it without the pin holes and it lasted great. I'm just to hard of hearing to tape the holes up tight. Gosh darn chainsaws:mad:

Back
Top Bottom