I would love to get some more detail out of this...

Chad

Elite Member
I did about a 2 hour olive oil soak then picked at it with a tooth pick which removed some of the caked on crud. Any advice on how to get a bit more detail or just leave it alone at this point? Still can't see a date. I should add, I'm not concerned about decreasing the value at all, (all .5 cents worth) I just want it to look better.

2032f4ed-7573-4206-81e8-0fd63f1c42b6_zpsae89cf6a.png

a9ad178a-1e94-4ca7-93c4-0529d33d1549_zpsdc21b1ec.png

I just dug a 1876 Indian head penny yesterday and upon coming homeand looking it up I see that it is a key date coin. Goes for $25 in Good cond , 60 in Fine and up from there. It was in decent shape on tghe front but still caked with mud on the back. Luckily I did nothing with it until i got home. After seeing the value I took my time and lightly swabbed both sides with a Qtip and peroxide. I took my time and must say it came out very nicely. After the cleaning I lightly coated it in olive oil and put it in a protctor. Has Alot of detail and full crisp LIBERTY on the headband. I am thinking it would rate VF and come in at around $100 value. Not bad for a penny!

I thought all IH were worth atleast $20? But if you don't care put it in a tumbler... if you don't have one mail me it and I'll tumble it and send it back, honestly I have never held an IH

Someone once posted to make sure you rinse off the oil. I don't know why .either way, I'm just saying.

I've used vasoline on wheat's to bring out the details, works pretty good! Just rub a little on & wipe it dry. Gives it a wet look.

When I get toasted coins that aren't worth anything I do electrolysis on them. You can clean them until it's bare metal again or just do it for 2/3 minutes at a time and use a brush or toothpick in between and stop when you want. If I'm going to put it in my finds book I at least want to get some crud off and pull a date so you can tell what it is personally.

Try longer in the olive oil. Also, make sure it's the real olive oil. Not that "virgin olive oil". I have 2 flat buttons soaking for over two weeks right now. 2 hours isn't much time for years of corrosion.:yes:

Try longer in the olive oil. Also, make sure it's the real olive oil. Not that "virgin olive oil". I have 2 flat buttons soaking for over two weeks right now. 2 hours isn't much time for years of corrosion.:yes:

Is there an olive oil brand you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom