Anybody have feedback on using an Ultra sonic jewelry cleaner for coins?

I don't think they will work like a tumbler does. They just vibrate a cleaning solution. The tumbler agitates the coins with a medium (aquarium gravel, limestone sand ect) this abrasively removes the stains. HH Tom

See that on Oak Island tonight? Haha, I was wondering the same thing, the guy used one to clean that coin they found.

Have seen several previous posts reporting disappointing results.
Haven't used one myself but wonder how they would work using various cleaning solutions.
Anyone?

Works great on jewelry, electric razor parts. Didn't work so well on dug coins. I've tried a lot of different solutions, even put some sand in with the coins, no major improvement. Think they only remove surface dirt and grime, stains have to be removed with abrasive action. Mines just a cheap $40 unit.

See that on Oak Island tonight? Haha, I was wondering the same thing, the guy used one to clean that coin they found.

IIRC is was a copper too so that machine wouldn't do too much to help at all. While I'm liking the show lately it seems to be getting easier to poke a few holes in their methods. I'm still questioning why it took them so long to decide to try to find the 90ft. stone that they are basing a lot of their assumptions on.

Works great on jewelry, electric razor parts. Didn't work so well on dug coins. I've tried a lot of different solutions, even put some sand in with the coins, no major improvement. Think they only remove surface dirt and grime, stains have to be removed with abrasive action. Mines just a cheap $40 unit.

Ditto. I've also tried different solutions, and the best I've gotten is to get enough crud off to see the date/mint mark to see that it's not worth anything. I have one that heats the solution, and it's not any better. Curt

Ditto. I've also tried different solutions, and the best I've gotten is to get enough crud off to see the date/mint mark to see that it's not worth anything. I have one that heats the solution, and it's not any better. Curt

My heats the solution too, when I run it through 6-7 cycles (5 minutes), it's warm. Think a soft brush works quicker/better for dug up stuff. I'd like to get my hands on a more industrial sized cleaner, like for auto parts, but got a hunch they do great with grease or road grime, but not the bonded on dirt and corrosion of dug coins.

I've tried both the tumbling and the ultrasonic and one minute of tumbling will do more than 20+ minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner. Ultrasonic works great on most jewelry, but for corroded, cruddy coins, tumbling is the bestest.

My wife said that her ultrasonic unit would definitely not work or was it I definitely could not use it! So I'm sure this method won't work:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom