Rust layered dirt ?

bibelot

Forum Supporter
Do you think it is possible for iron to enhance non ferrous targets that is within or next to the rusted scaling bits and pieces ?

It might be the dumbest thing I've typed yet but I believe my Teknetics T2 classic catches more stuff where there are visible scaled layers of rust around the non ferrous coins, brass, copper bits that I dig. Like the iron is somehow enhancing the non ferrous signals but that really can't be the case ,can it ?I thought it was the Nel coil but the little stock 5" round coil that I just bought from the forum does the same thing. That little coil depth is quite a bit better for its size compared to the other brand small coils that I use. So, am I dreaming or can rusted layers help ?:?:

Do you think it is possible for iron to enhance non ferrous targets that is within or next to the rusted scaling bits and pieces ?

It might be the dumbest thing I've typed yet but I believe my Teknetics T2 classic catches more stuff where there are visible scaled layers of rust around the non ferrous coins, brass, copper bits that I dig. Like the iron is somehow enhancing the non ferrous signals but that really can't be the case ,can it ?I thought it was the Nel coil but the little stock 5" round coil that I just bought from the forum does the same thing. That little coil depth is quite a bit better for its size compared to the other brand small coils that I use. So, am I dreaming or can rusted layers help ?:?:

Flake Iron will push VDIs higher than they normally would. solid bits of iron will drag the VDI down.

Not a dumb question at all.

The grounding effect of a nail and a coin,,if they are fused,,,,could make the coin easier to find.

When you are doing test,,if you ground a nail and a coin== equals a skewed/false test. Detector may may you think it sees the coins better than it truly does vs just a hair of spacing. Nail could be viewed as an extension of a nonferrous coin when grounded.

As far as rust in the soil,,,it can affect a detector's ability to detect say a coin.

Cause a blind spot for detector.

For example,,,we listen for our detectors to make a tone,,,so we can stop and investigate.

Detector circuitry has means through engineering where a GO condition must be met to signal.

So,,do we hear all the metal under our coils?? Nope
Could some of this ferrous material(could be tiny nonferous too) where the detector's circuitry says a NoGo,, so no signal,,,and could this same material causing the NoGo with our detector signaling be also masking material,,,hence our detector don't even provide signal on say a depth detectable coin..

Basically we don't know what we don't know as far as sweeping our coils.

Using all metal is not a 100 percent reliable work around either.
Some tiny bits/particles just too small to detect. Especially general purpose freq detectors.

Most times ferrous materials around a nonferrous object,,,if item is detected the ferrous materials will cause lower than ideal ID provided.

Rust layered dirt,,,could be viewed too by a detector as actual mineral (higher),,hence a detector that works better in high mineral may do better.
Xp Deus I rate very good here for this.

Lastly here,,,is rust nonferrous or ferrous material???

Last edited:
On the T2/F70/F75 platform...probably the new Patriot also, these things are programmed to do something different than most detectors on all non ferrous targets around iron...they up average like crazy.
This is something that I use to my advantage big time to find heavily masked targets in my mineralized and iron infested dirt and I have been shockingly successful using my F70.
Iron in the soil will do this no matter what form it takes, iron oxide clay or dirt, flakes or solid pieces of iron of almost any size in the vicinity.
On these units the iron will not drag down the VDI as do coin spill combinations of a big coin and smaller averaging out to somewhere halfway between but instead lift the non ferrous targets up high into ranges you might not believe.
This could happen fairly shallow and the deeper you go the higher the numbers can and will soar.
It happens here all the time and I have seen 1-2" coins come in high here and definitely everything that is 3-4" or deeper.
High 80's to low 90's are what I look for here on all coins, even nickels at 5-7" come in at those same numbers consistently and I have dug several.
A silver dollar here at 4" came in at a solid 98-99...the only reason I went after it is because I never got a signal like that before in my career.
I have seen this effect here in my bad dirt but also in great dirt...if there is iron nearby.
This is a real thing, once you learn to understand it that will make hunting in any kind of iron much easier...it is a little superpower the FTP engineers gifted us with.
Hard to wrap your head around the fact that on these units iron does not drag down the the signals but does the opposite instead and lifts non ferrous targets up high...but that is exactly what happens.

I talk about several real world experiences I have had learning this lesson as REVIER in this thread.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2322233,2322370#msg-2322370

On the T2/F70/F75 platform...probably the new Patriot also, these things are programmed to do something different than most detectors on all non ferrous targets around iron...they up average like crazy.
This is something that I use to my advantage big time to find heavily masked targets in my mineralized and iron infested dirt and I have been shockingly successful using my F70.
Iron in the soil will do this no matter what form it takes, iron oxide clay or dirt, flakes or solid pieces of iron of almost any size in the vicinity.
On these units the iron will not drag down the VDI as do coin spill combinations of a big coin and smaller averaging out to somewhere halfway between but instead lift the non ferrous targets up high into ranges you might not believe.
This could happen fairly shallow and the deeper you go the higher the numbers can and will soar.
It happens here all the time and I have seen 1-2" coins come in high here and definitely everything that is 3-4" or deeper.
High 80's to low 90's are what I look for here on all coins, even nickels at 5-7" come in at those same numbers consistently and I have dug several.
A silver dollar here at 4" came in at a solid 98-99...the only reason I went after it is because I never got a signal like that before in my career.
I have seen this effect here in my bad dirt but also in great dirt...if there is iron nearby.
This is a real thing, once you learn to understand it that will make hunting in any kind of iron much easier...it is a little superpower the FTP engineers gifted us with.
Hard to wrap your head around the fact that on these units iron does not drag down the the signals but does the opposite instead and lifts non ferrous targets up high...but that is exactly what happens.

I talk about several real world experiences I have had learning this lesson as REVIER in this thread.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2322233,2322370#msg-2322370
Thanks. I fell upon this discovery and I said no way this can be right. It just can't be right. I nearly went crazy ground balancing more often than I should have, switched coils, changed batteries, took the coil scuffs off cleaned everything when at home, changed shoes... Finally ,I gave up and just started using it. The T2 has become my favorite machine.

Thanks. I fell upon this discovery and I said no way this can be right. It just can't be right. I nearly went crazy ground balancing more often than I should have, switched coils, changed batteries, took the coil scuffs off cleaned everything when at home, changed shoes... Finally ,I gave up and just started using it. The T2 has become my favorite machine.

Yea, once you change shoes and it still happens you know it's real.
I wear these when in hunt in public parks during busy times.
That, plus wearing a pair of tighty whitey underwear over my pants keeps the muggles away pretty well.
Still works around iron even wearing these.

Attachments

• 4467173_z.jpg
    4467173_z.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 92
Most times I still have steel toe boots on as I am in too much of a hurry to change into sneakers ,trying to get as much time in after work as possible. My find ratio doesn't drop due to wing span reach but when numbers skew, you have to wonder if they aren't part off the equation........ They weren't.

Yea, once you change shoes and it still happens you know it's real.
I wear these when in hunt in public parks during busy times.
That, plus wearing a pair of tighty whitey underwear over my pants keeps the muggles away pretty well.
Still works around iron even wearing these.

I still can't believe you were clowning around........I normally wear steel toe boots,carry a 40 S&W,a 31t Sampson,a Hori hori knife,a pro pointer. Everything but the kitchen sink and then I'm not sure a kitchen sink would look anymore out of place than it already looks but I would have to wonder if all that metal is needed while operating a metal detector ? I remember when I didn't even use a pinpointer, handfuls of dirt over the coil The times ,they are a changing....:viking:

I forgot to say that I am taking that T2 out for a walkabout this morning. Surely it will never get the recognition that it deserves. Maybe I'll send it in and get it upgraded but I think I missed the deadline this time around.

Last edited:
DSC02852.JPG
Todays finds. I thought I might have had a silver spoon but no, a plymouth silver plate. It is still raining here....

Back
Top Bottom