poor man's electolysis

Trapper

I just learned how to clean silver that comes off the beach just as black as can be. This comes to me from forumite Kapidra and it worked so well fore me that I had to share.
I got a very dark ring out of the sand at a salt water beach and my partner that day was Captain Silver. He said it was silver but I, who don't do much beach hunting, thought, no way, its too dark. Then I saw a post by Kapidr who found a silver earring and showed it black, and then shiny after she cleaned it. I asked her how, and she told me to put a few cups of water in a sauce pan. Mix in 3 tsps. salt, 3 tsps. baking soda and heat. Meanwhile put a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom of the pan and place the item to be cleaned on that. Cook for 10". My ring turned gray but shined up nicely with buffing. Sounds like electolysis, huh? Cap, you were right. I found a "sterling" hallmark and all. Thanks to both Kapidr and Captain Silver.

Well I for one don't clean my silver rings or coins. They are all black and oxidized from all but one lake. The oxide is silver also and I think gets me more money when smelting.

But you can also get any phone charger and put alligator clips on the ends and make a very cheap electrolysis system that needs less electricity than a stove probably.

I just used this method and it worked great!
This silver ring must have been underground a long time because it was much more tarnished than most others I have found in the past and I have found a lot of silver rings.
I cleaned it up a bit by hand and took that pic on the left, but the shape of this thing made it hard to get into the nooks and crannies and even in the easier areas I had to use some elbow grease to get it this good.
A 10 second bath in that mixture with the baking soda and the foil and the results are on the right.

Attachments

• silver cleaning.jpg
    silver cleaning.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 406
Back
Top Bottom