I know it's a no-no but I cleaned/polished a large cent in the tumbler.

Wow, you call that toasted?

I've never dug a LC that looks that good! Mine are all barely identifiable.

Clean away I say, the chances you've got one of value are like winning the lottery.

Let's face it... 99.999% of the copper and nickels we dig aren't worth a dime due to condition unless it's a rare coin. Why not clean them before putting them in your finds book. Looks good. Nice job!

Agree 100%

hey looks great! what did it hurt...nothing!

when they are not worth much i clean them too! did a couple liberty nickels common dates worn to barely readable, but cleaning actually made them harder to read. they were bluegreen with vivid details. now they are shiny with rusty pits:mad::laughing::laughing::laughing::lol::lol:.. and they are still a liberty nickel common date.

" I know it's a no-no but I cleaned/polished a large cent in the tumbler."

I flinched and lol'd - reminds me of when I tumble IH's -

It looks ok but now the patina is gone - still, I agree with everyone else -

I have always wondered if putting it back in the soil for X amount of time would bring back just a bit of patina. Just enough to take away that freshly cleaned look... anyone ever try such a thing?

I don't sell the coins I find either. If I do EVER find a key date I'll be careful not to do anything other than lightly clean it with warm water and mild soap. Other than that I clean the show and tell coins so they look good.;) Now as far as putting them back in the ground to put new patina on them, I'll bet it will discolor them some for sure. Depends on the ground you place them in I guess.

Back
Top Bottom