Can I mow the weeds down on Michigan State Game land?

sofasurfer

I want to detect on Michigan State Game Lands. One site was a lumber camp long ago. Weeds are deep. I wonder if I can take a gas power weed eater and mow a clearing to detect?

I doubt it, but if you don't find any postings or regulations saying you can't, and you decide to do it, I think I would do it in two phases.

Use the weed-whacker, but leave the detector at home then come back with the detector and not the weed-whacker. Might just reduce your risk.

Good luck,
-Mike-

Not sure about the weeds, but theres likely a good sized fine for digging on most State owned land..In Missouri it's $500. :(

Not sure about the weeds, but theres likely a good sized fine for digging on most State owned land..In Missouri it's $500. :(
I live in Michigan and have been looking for laws regarding digging one state land and haven't found anything yet, so I'm not sure what the law is but were talking about michigan here money hungry state there must be a law about it someplace. But who knows. But I don't think I would do it, unless you know someone high up that can get you out of a pinch.

I live in Michigan and have been looking for laws regarding digging one state land and haven't found anything yet, so I'm not sure what the law is but were talking about michigan here money hungry state there must be a law about it someplace. But who knows. But I don't think I would do it, unless you know someone high up that can get you out of a pinch.

Missouri Conservation Department owns something like 975,000 acres of State land in Missouri, I think most of it is around me..or at least it seems like it..:roll:, It makes me mad because I've found several very old towns that they bought out & destroyed when they built the Truman dam near here in the 1950's, theres at least 4 large towns that I know of. But when I called them to ask about detecting the towns the person I spoke to got very angry & said if I were caught they would confiscate my detector & if seen digging give me a $500. fine..:mad:

I used to search and dig on state land back in the late '80s-early '90s. I never had a problem. I asked at the local DRN office once and they said they didn't care and knew of nothing saying I couldn't.
I see that there are laws now saying that you must report all finds for evaluation but I see no forbidding of digging as long as you don't detroy the land, meaning that you use common since and fill in your holes.
I wouldn't worry about reporting finds. You can't report anything unless you take them to your car to drive to the office :-).
My concern is using a gas powered machine (weed eater or mower). I really do not think anyone would ever notice but am just doing my patriotic part and trying to learn the law. I will no doubt ask the law on Monday but I was hoping to get out there today. Well, it turned out to be a crappy day anyway.
I used to detect in the 80s-90s. Now after a long break I want to get back at it. I was thinking about how things have changed since the old days. I used to have to go out and buy treasure magazines. Then if I had a question there was no one to ask. I did, once, write a letter to ask a question in one of the magazines. I waited a couple of months to see if they answered it. They did. Now I see that treasure has all kinds of web site and an answer is 15 minutes away. Amazing, huh. Also, in the old days there was no such thing as a gas powered weed eater, for me anyway. Now they are in every other trash pile. So I thought, how much more will I find in my old relic hunting spot if I can eliminate the deep weeds.

Instead of cutting back the weeds (I agree that it may attract unwanted attention), how 'bout waiting till frost and the weeds die back on their own? You could also wait till spring. After the snow melts, vegetation would be pretty sparse. Good luck! Curt

Instead of cutting back the weeds (I agree that it may attract unwanted attention), how 'bout waiting till frost and the weeds die back on their own? You could also wait till spring. After the snow melts, vegetation would be pretty sparse. Good luck! Curt

Yes! Great idea!

You did say state 'game' lands. If that is the case, I would wait until spring, because removal of vegetation that feeds the game (Deer etc) would not be viewed in a good light. RickO

Back
Top Bottom