• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Weird Nickel with no back

Collin1776

Hey guys just wondering if you think this is a mint error or done by a human. I can’t feel any imperfections or rigidness on the back it just feels flat and smooth, I figured if it was done by a human it would feel rough
aff11ab183f629fc71a17dabbadebcc1.png
8658d2dfc9aa1eb08d013511efb22a74.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys just wondering if you think this is a mint error or done by a human. I can’t feel any imperfections or rigidness on the back it just feels flat and smooth, I figured if it was done by a human it would feel rough
aff11ab183f629fc71a17dabbadebcc1.png
8658d2dfc9aa1eb08d013511efb22a74.png

I don't see that happening at the mint. Looks like someone took it to a bench grinder and then polished it up.

Planchetts or coin blanks are smooth without any grinding marks.
This looks like someone sanded the nickel.
Is it the same thickness as an original one??
There is a chance that it could have slipped on a belt during minting and ground down at the mint, but that seems unlikely.

The sides are in decent shape though don’t you think they would be messed up if someone was using a sander on it? Thanks for the responses guys

Definitely post mint.
I did a Morgan once before I sent it to a guy for engraving.
It was pretty easy, being silver, I just used hand files:D

Attachments

• Morgan token 2.jpg
    Morgan token 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 539
  • Morgan token 4.jpg
    Morgan token 4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 542
that could have been done by some kid simply dragging it under his/her foot on the pavement for a couple of minutes. that might explain the scratches going in two different directions. ;)

Pete

that could have been done by some kid simply dragging it under his/her foot on the pavement for a couple of minutes. that might explain the scratches going in two different directions. ;)

Pete

But like I said it’s completely smooth

I find coins like at the edge of parking lots here in Michigan. They get dragged by the snow plow and ground down on one side like that.

Its impossible to come from the mint like that. The mint machines place the blank planchet into the press between 2 halves of the die. if one half of the die was missing there is nothing for the planchet to sit between, so there couldnt be a single half stamped.

Its impossible to come from the mint like that. The mint machines place the blank planchet into the press between 2 halves of the die. if one half of the die was missing there is nothing for the planchet to sit between, so there couldnt be a single half stamped.

I agree, even if two planchets made it into the machine, there would be at least some strike-through. I would think at least.

Yeah, kinda looks like when we kids used to grind down a penny on the sidewalk, to use in the 10c Coca-Cola machine.

You do remember, right? :lol:

If it was found in a parking lot in an area that has snow it was likely dragged by a snow plow. I feed coins like that very often

Back
Top Bottom