First Big Silver of the Year!

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I posted this in Stories and Pictures of Finds but it's not everyday you see Morgan's pop out of the ground so I figured I'd post it here too.

Here is a copy of my other post.

I had a good short hunt this morning on the way to picking up my camper. After getting my camper at my folks house i figured I'd put in a half hour at a little park in a little town on the way home which I have detected to death.

There is a ton of junk metal in the ground there so it is kind of tough to pick out the good targets.

After detecting about 20 minutes I was going to start making my way back to the truck.

I came across a fair signal at the edge of the park which I decided to dig. It was coming up as a zinc penny or a token but it was only showing about 3" to 4". The signal sounded terrible too but I kind of wanted to see what it was.

I dug a 5" deep plug but there was nothing in it so I automatically figured I had junk in the hole.

I dug around with my pinpointer a bit and got some beeps deeper down.

I dug down to about 10" and came across my target. At first I saw it was a shiny disc almost exactly like a token I've dug in that town 3 times now but it felt too thick. What the heck was it I thought!?

Well, I figured out what it was right quick after I wiped it off...... 1890 Morgan!!!

Needless to say that quick stop was well worth it!
99ceb3b3dc053d287ed0e42b10c4d681.jpg
60fad03ad134819e83a5c09b2185db6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That is a huge pay out for that short hunt. Congrats Tundra on digging a coin most in this hobby will never experience. Welcome my friend to the Silver Dollar Club. Trapper

That is a huge pay out for that short hunt. Congrats Tundra on digging a coin most in this hobby will never experience. Welcome my friend to the Silver Dollar Club. Trapper
Thanks Jack! That was definitely my best find for a short hunt!

Awesome find! That was definitely worth the stop! Nice job
Thanks Tom! I thought for sure there had to be something good left in that park. It was a terrible signal though so I can imagine why it never got dug.

Congrats!!! I too found an 1890 Morgan a couple years ago in Idaho at a worked out city park in Boise. It too read zinc, 5" deep, but read 95 on the VDI scale. I decided to dig and found 2 zinc pennies at 3" deep. At 5" I found a dirt encrusted round disk I had to take to a stream & wash off before I could even identify it. When I saw what it was I almost fainted, especially when I saw the mint mark was CC! Congrats again!!!

dollars

Well, I figured out what it was right quick after I wiped it off...... 1890 Morgan!

Wow HUGGGGGEEEEEE CONGRATS MAN !!!!

So had you dug any dollars before this one?? I'm assuming you have......
So why do you suppose the signal was bad EMI, or just ground composition and contamination......???
Where was she coming in then, in the 30s??
I did have a 925 half that gave me a signal in the 30s last month, and I'm still baffled......

well, congrats again.......and send some of that dollar luck my way would ya??? :roll:

Congrats!!! I too found an 1890 Morgan a couple years ago in Idaho at a worked out city park in Boise. It too read zinc, 5" deep, but read 95 on the VDI scale. I decided to dig and found 2 zinc pennies at 3" deep. At 5" I found a dirt encrusted round disk I had to take to a stream & wash off before I could even identify it. When I saw what it was I almost fainted, especially when I saw the mint mark was CC! Congrats again!!!
Thanks gold! I could only dream of digging a CC up this way! Great find on your end as well!

Back
Top Bottom