Jressman's Waterproofed Sovereign Build Thread.

Jressman

Elite Member
Picked up a Minelab Sovereign Elite on the cheap with a straight shaft.

Drew up these plans. 1 main wire harness controlling all the pots, headphones using a CTX3030 jack, (so I can use the my GG Amphibians with both the CTX and Sov) the main harness will also include the coil cable and remote PinPoint button.

Here's the drawn blue print:

23f4140ff9af6fb3ee0b837c9a419808_zps1773caab.jpg

Here's what I got to work with:

f01fee0d2b88017c62b0fbdd96d6aa75_zps2b1c11c0.jpg

Stay posted. I got parts already ordered!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing if you can get this done. The best GT mod I have ever seen is by digsalot. After the water tight box there is no way to mount the machine on a shaft, just too much weight. He hip mounts his machine and it is awesome. Ben spent a lot of time engineering that setup and the detail is perfection. I have not seen any setup as good as his and probably never will. You should contact him for advise. You have a good start with your papers but a long way to go. Good luck.

Thats sure a clean looking machine... and as they say "looks good on paper". NO GUTS.... NO GLORY as the old man says on gold rush.:laughing:

Dew

All these look great. I don't know if I would risk it though. 1 mistake and there goes $800.
Good luck :cool:

Where he is hunting. Once he gets a little more experience. He'll likely pay it off in a day:lol: The risk is worth the reward. It's like most guys with excaliburs. We whine and complain about build quality. But if it really came down to it, if you ever did destroy an Excalibur, you could usually throw it in the trash and still be ahead. Every beach machine I own is expected to pay for itself in a year. If it can't it has to go.

Be interested to see how this works. If I hit good paydirt this year I'm hoping to mod a sovereign gt and put a pinpoint switch on the front with a sens knob on top of the handle. If it takes too much tweaking i'll just carry a small can of compressed air and dry the box and open it up to change settings. If that box is shaft mounted and is the size of a whites BHID controls you are gonna hate not having it chest or waste mounted. That box will wear you out in the water. Ask me how I know:laughing:

All these look great. I don't know if I would risk it though. 1 mistake and there goes $800.
Good luck :cool:

Some of us trust our own design and fabricating skills better than something that is mass produced for profit. You are familiar with the CTX O'ring leaks right?

Ryan, I look forward to seeing this build. I'll be doing one myself soon...I'm right on the cusp of making my Sovereign purchase and it should be official by this evening. Then it will just be waiting for shipping, tick tock.:D Good luck.

I've collected some links that I'll PM to you this evening of different threads about the subject.

Looks like it will be a nice setup!

I'm going to figure out a way to shaft mount mine as well.

Below is my favorite waterproof Sovereign so far... inside a Beach Hunter box.

I've been meaning to contact Whites and ask if they will sell an empty Beach Hunter box w/ waterproof pots, but I keep forgetting...

Attachments

• sov.jpg
    sov.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,721
  • sov2.jpg
    sov2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • sov3.jpg
    sov3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 915
Last edited:

I've been meaning to contact Whites and ask if they will sell an empty Beach Hunter box w/ waterproof pots, but I keep forgetting...

Wow that's super clean!

I wouldn't tell them you were using it for a ML conversion:lol:

Here's my updates.

Box is being delivered Wednesday. I ordered the Underwater Kinetic 308 water tight box with clear top and padded liner. I measured the circuit board so I know it fits.

Currently researching which waterproof potiometers to order. There are a few to choose from. Any recommendations?

Also need to order Pinpoint switch.

Excalibur 10inch coil cover came in too.

a199fdc238b864bbc5f44b9ad8694762_zpsa127bfa4.jpg

0a51e74d3b5fb9cb700b51d29d098195_zps46be9c0f.jpg

What are you looking for in a PP switch.. on/off on/momentary

the IP56 is one used by someone else I know who does the remotes on Excalburs....to say the least the are not made for heavy use, fixing my second one here this week. I have used the other 3 with good results...my main now is the toggle, my last one held up to four years of mental abuse....I have two here again I am abusing to see how well they how up, so far one year...the last held up to 4 years..

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 747
This is nice. There was another nice one done, just as good. I have mine in a very heavy plano box. Which sucks. Because to tune it...you gotta stop. Take backpack off. Undo box. And then put it all back together. Its a problem if your moving around a lot. Id post pics, but dont have the time atm. Anyway...nice jobs on sov setups. hh an gl -Joe

Out of curiosity. Whos mod is this [bhid w gt installed.]. And the hardware. The waterproof knobs. Where can you get them. I have made a few fruitless searches in the past. HH an Gl -Joe

Back
Top Bottom