Trying to figure out the Nox 600 Day 3

Fivepin

Elite Member
Back to my favorite old Silver park. Today I'm going to play with Park 2 settings. I'll get another 3 hours on the machine, find some coins and a cool old token. We can discuss settings as I go. Thanks for watching everyone. Oh and for those of you wondering no I didn't kneel in dog doo. It was somewhere close but I missed it. Keep it real and happy hunting to all.
https://youtu.be/ZCYKGvUr-ig

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 211
Back to my favorite old Silver park. Today I'm going to play with Park 2 settings. I'll get another 3 hours on the machine, find some coins and a cool old token. We can discuss settings as I go. Thanks for watching everyone. Oh and for those of you wondering no I didn't kneel in dog doo. It was somewhere close but I missed it. Keep it real and happy hunting to all.
https://youtu.be/ZCYKGvUr-ig

An old token and a silver from well hunted dirt make for a great hunt in my book. If I could only have one or the other, I'll take an old token over the more common 1900s silver coins.

Park 1 and Field 1 are---if all other settings are the same-- deeper than Park 2 and Field 2. The "1" versions overemphasize the lower frequencies and the "2" versions overemphasize the higher frequencies. The loss of depth in "2" will be more noticeable in soil with high mineral content.

The advantage to the "2" versions---if all other settings are the same---is better "resolution". Those higher frequencies take a more detailed picture of the ground. That's also why the "1" versions run in 5 tones by default and the "2" versions in 50. I sometimes run Park 2 in 5 tones, but I know I'm losing some but not all of that audio detail.

At normal depths of 4-6 inches, the "2" setting is going to have better potential to identify small, thin high conductors as well as expose coins that are masked in higher trash density or the random nearby bit of iron.

The reason you're hearing all of that trash in Park 2 as high tones is the iron bias difference between Park 1 and Park 2 (and the higher resolution in Park 2). It's not because Park 2 is deeper. In Park 1, the Nox is "biased" towards interpreting a sketchy high conductor signals as iron. So, that stuff mostly disappears in Park 1, especially with iron audio off. In Park 2, the Nox is "biased' towards allowing those same signals to come through as a high tone. You'll find yourself digging a bunch of junk as you learn what high tones to listen for in Park 2. The iron bias in Field is the same in both "1" and "2" because the Nox assumes you're interested in relics and such.

A thin, small, and deep coin is going to be a challenge for any machine, but multi-frequency gives you a fighting chance of hearing both deep and high resolution signals. Multi-freq in general is trying to give you the best of both worlds.

Thanks Toy Soldier.. All of that makes sense to me and I agree, explains exactly what I am seeing in the field. I think this is the hardest machine to get a handle on in terms of tweaking. Multi frequency and all of the new fancy tech offer a much more personalized hunt than my AT. The Kruzer had a lot of cool options as well. In the end with the kruzer I ened up just using 3 or 4 tone no ground balance and digging everything 9 and above. I will probably end up doing similar on this machine too. However there are days where time is limited and skipping some of the junk is preferential if only for that day. I think once I get the hours on the NOX it will allow for those kinds of days. For now...If its 18 or higher I dig it all.

Back
Top Bottom