Carlsbad Attack!

That's awful! You wouldn't expect something like that to happen on a public beach with so many on lookers. The bad parts of town that I detect don't have many on lookers and those few mostly don't give a !!!! what happens to me, so I carry a gun.

I hope that they catch the a-hole that did this.

beephead

Looked and acted like a crazy insane smelly Bum? Unkempt and swearing profusely? Attacking a fellow detectorist for no apparent reason other than the fact the guy deserved it for running a Minelab and wearing white socks with tennis shoes?? Beat him with his own scoop even? Well deserved I say! :laughing:

Yep!...that sounds like something I would do alright! Damn this Ambien! Makes a feller sleepwalk and go all stupid aggressive sometimes...Especially if a feller chases it down with a swig or two bottles of NyQuil....Says so right in the small print...Last time I did this, I wound up stark naked sitting inside a parking garage playing 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' with the the gate arm....

FWIW, "Joe" got off easy! Knocked down flat on his @ss with just a few minor dings? I've taken worse beatings on my noggin stone cold sober just hunting for clad underneath low bleachers!

I'll turn myself in later today for proper punishment....or not...Time and Gold wait for Nobody!:laughing: Stay out of West Michigan if you know whats good for you!:laughing:

Actually, I bet the perp is a Teeboy fanatic!....you know, 'beep and dig' in analog on a salt beach will flat drive a guy crazy sooner or later! Seeing Old Joe hunting along with his 'Lab in those Adida tennies and White socks just tipped him right over the edge!...Understandable albeit misplaced! :laughing:

The concerned 'know it all guy' wearing the "Ringfinders" shirt is the one who needs a real proper beat down!:laughing:

Last edited:
Ron that's a crazy story. You have to be aware of your surroundings all the time. I'm usually guilty until I'm proven innocent. But his time I can prove it wasn't me. I don't have that much hair. I'm that crazy but not enough hair.:lol:

Yeesh. Good job to the guy who snapped the picture...

Right? I found the whole thing comically tragic and disconcerting from so many angles...The Wife and Daughter are constantly warning me that sooner or later, in the places I hunt and at the hours I'm out, I will get similarly jumped or worse...theres all sorts of crazies out there looking for an easy score...Not just us..Good to know there will always be somebody around ready to get the shot on their I phone though eh?....

Eyes

360 degrees, use your scoop as a weapon if attacked, how did he get his scoop :roll: , usually if someone is approaching me, i tell them to back off, anyway he would have been in 4 a surprise if that was me :shock::lol:, sorry to see this, all must be prepared , especially NIGHT hunting, and if your head phones are hardwired , thanks for posting this Ron :interesting: Earl

Damn took the guys scoop away then beat him with it. There's a joke to be had there somewhere but think Mud covered it pretty well. :laughing:

Looked and acted like a crazy insane smelly Bum? Unkempt and swearing profusely? Attacking a fellow detectorist for no apparent reason other than the fact the guy deserved it for running a Minelab and wearing white socks with tennis shoes?? Beat him with his own scoop even? Well deserved I say! :laughing:

Yep!...that sounds like something I would do alright! Damn this Ambien! Makes a feller sleepwalk and go all stupid aggressive sometimes...Especially if a feller chases it down with a swig or two bottles of NyQuil....Says so right in the small print...Last time I did this, I wound up stark naked sitting inside a parking garage playing 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' with the the gate arm....

FWIW, "Joe" got off easy! Knocked down flat on his @ss with just a few minor dings? I've taken worse beatings on my noggin stone cold sober just hunting for clad underneath low bleachers!

I'll turn myself in later today for proper punishment....or not...Time and Gold wait for Nobody!:laughing: Stay out of West Michigan if you know whats good for you!:laughing:

Actually, I bet the perp is a Teeboy fanatic!....you know, 'beep and dig' in analog on a salt beach will flat drive a guy crazy sooner or later! Seeing Old Joe hunting along with his 'Lab in those Adida tennies and White socks just tipped him right over the edge!...Understandable albeit misplaced! :laughing:

The concerned 'know it all guy' wearing the "Ringfinders" shirt is the one who needs a real proper beat down!:laughing:

I hunt this beach on the regular!

1st off I hope your joking ..
homeless people are a real fact of life and especially so in San Diego. Many aren't homeless by choice and they have mental and or drug problems. Not very funny to be attacked. Add to the fact that the victim was OLD compounds this issue.
Just because the MD was wearing street clothes and not water boots or whatever is a dick move on your part to even mention. Maybe he's a dry sand hunter as MOST older guys are. SO WHAT.. I carry a bowie with me on every hunt and an LED light. Get in my face and you'll get lit up both ways. I've been approached by degenerates before and you have to quickly shut them down or they will get closer... I often hunt at night and beaches can get sketchy.
It's sad that this clown attacked an elderly man. So what if he was detecting or walking a dog or just walking or doing ANYTHING.. The man was attacked and to be honest you need to apologize for your jerk comments or get lost...Go to the Unfriendly forum because your jokes aren't friendly. What if that was your loved one that got hammered on? What if he got beaten senseless? He had a decent scoop.. Looked like a heavy TREX or something.. Wasn't a plastic dork scoop like I see many use.

And yes, for the record I don't like RingFinders either..

This is a real good illustration of why I carry some specialized equipment all the time, no matter where I go. I'm too dainty to get beat down. I'm very thankful for my old training and the muscle memory I've developed over the years...

The non-sympathetic comments on here (Mud) really give me pause. You got issues!:mad:
Granted we'll never know the full story but this guy simply got a beat down. Imagine if he received the sharp end of the scoop to the face/neck/eye? Thankfully he got off with a few scratches and a bruised ego.

We have a growing problem with homelessness & drug use. The #'s have exploded and the majority live close to large population/tourists areas where they can get a handout or where garbage cans are full of half eaten meals. I suspect this problem is just going to get worse. Having your eyes down and headphones on cuts down on your ability to rely on two primary senses to protect yourself. Add the dead of night and #'s with bad intentions and your odds could be much worse.

My point...be aware of your surroundings. I'm sure no one here wants to be "that guy" on the evening news.

So a fellow detectorist gets attacked and we are making jokes about it???? What happened to the "Friendly" in Friendly Metal Detecting Forum.... It could have been anyone of us....

There's no humor to be had here. It's so easy to get into a zone detecting that it's easy to lose awareness around you. Making fun at the expense of a 71 year old getting attacked by a crazed lunatic while minding his own business is just weak. Sad day at FMDF.

Apologies to all the crazy bums out there! In fact, after reviewing the video, and minimal injury incurred by the victim, I doubt this was an insane bum attack at all! ...

I'm thinking the video taker and the attacker were simply your run of the Mill harmless Smelly Hippies, and they thought the old guy was digging up turtle nests or something! So the one guy filmed while the other confronted! Plus, a 71 yr old Man has certainly seen far worse traumatic encounters in his Life than this minor scuffle? He grew up during the 60's, VietNam era, no doubt got in quite a few fist fights as we all did back in those days...

In comparison, 100 people shot over the 4th of July weekend on the streets of Chicago, a wild bunch of Bath Salt Zombies running around in Florida that will actually kill you and gobble you up right there on the the spot like some sort of ambulatory Happy Meal? And this old guy gets pushed down on the sand? Digger Please! :laughing:

If you CA guys are so concerned, why not start a 'Go Fund Me' site for this poor old guys PTSD counseling?? Write a letter to your CA Governor and get that beach declared a 'Safe Space'? Or something? :laughing:

Theres no story or damage here!..If this is the worst thing that has happened to a detectorist out afield, we as a group are getting off pretty lightly...The World is a dangerous place, You never know what kind of adventure awaits once you get out of the house...so I can and will joke about it....

I will say this, if one of us is ever attacked by a Miami Bath Salt Zombie, ..Now THAT would be a newsworthy story! "Old Man attacked by insane Cannibal! No remains found except tennis shoes and a Minelab!" :laughing:

Speaking of that...Has anybody heard from Felix lately?

Last edited:
Wow. Sad story. Good thing the scoop wasn't embedded in his head. On a side note approximately 100 have been mugged globally by the time you finished reading this。 some of those fatal

Back
Top Bottom