Permission Denied

Kimber

During the afternoon of 4/27 I telephoned the office of a Florida city’s Parks and Leisure Department and asked the person who answered the telephone if metal detecting was allowed on city property. She replied that she didn’t know, but that I was the first person she knew of that had presented this question. She said that she would check and get back to me. On the morning of 4/30 she called me and stated that “I could metal detect, but would not be allowed to dig up any items I may have detected.” I replied that was comparable to going to a restaurant and not being allowed to order. She replied that if Mding was allowed that there would be digging all over city property and that wouldn’t be permitted. I then politely asked if there were any city ordnances or laws in effect that would stop me from Mding; whereupon she replied that the police would arrest me for “destruction of property”. I then reiterated the canned statement that I would refill all holes I may dig and that I would remove and dispose of all trash that I uncovered during my Mding. I also advised that a small garden trowel (Lesche) would all I would be using to dig with. The final answer from her was “NO!” I’m certain that she was just the mouthpiece for some twit that didn’t have the nerve to personally address me him or herself. This particular city has over 20 parks, several with lake beaches, and no one can tell me that no one else hasn’t MD’d on any or all of them before. I fully intend to stop by the city’s main Police Station tomorrow and get the word directly from the horse’s mouth. You would think that I was attempting to strip mine their parks by the way this office treated me,

I have previously secured a County MD Permit as well as contacting another city, as large as this one, and was told to “have at it, but to keep off the athletic fields.”

To me this is just another example of uneducated people imposing their personal will on others…today’s name of the game.

Good luck with your endevor, and be sure to let us know how it goes. Also, be sure to post pictures of the goodies you find, once you can actually dig them up. : )

Permission Granted

I visited the Police Station this morning and was told to enjoy myself as there nothing on the books to stop me…Strive to Persevere!

I visited the Police Station this morning and was told to enjoy myself as there nothing on the books to stop me…Strive to Persevere!

Congrats! Now get out there and hunt the hell out of the area lol

The first answer you will have is "NO" but if the laws are not in place then they can't really do anything about it. I hope you find lots of good stuff and keep us posted !!!

Using the word dig automatically makes them think you are " going to dig up all over the city" just like she said

Use words like "plugs" to "extract targets" instead of digging targets. "Replace" "plugs" Instead of "Filling HOLES"

Think you should still be cautious and careful, try to find a time when there are few people using the parks. Not all parks have the same rules. Unless you really want an audience, a run in with the police or park officials, so you can flaunt your new found freedom, however short lived that might be. You got two different answers, to presumably, the same question, hardly a consensus, just what you wanted to here, so it must but the right answer. Could the nice policeman have only ran a computer search for the term, "metal detecting"? Which the parks people told you was okay, just no digging, surface finds are okay. Perhaps you failed to mention to the police, about the garden shovel...

This is some little bureaucrat that didnt actually know so they instantly say no. This is why I look up the cities ordinances online and see if it is prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom