Kentucky Bummer !!!

Scott-N8ZUS

Not sure if this the right place to discuss this... But here it goes!

I visit Kentucky often to play in the caves, and visit Mammoth Cave National Park.

Been checking about bringing the MD down with me but it's illegal in all National Parks, and many State Parks!

That's the Bummer!

I guess when I get around to visit the kin folk on the east side of the state I'll have to bring it with me then! Being private property is open ground.

Also I have a sister in law in the Alanta, GA area how strict are they down there?

Not sure if this the right place to discuss this... But here it goes!

I visit Kentucky often to play in the caves, and visit Mammoth Cave National Park.

Been checking about bringing the MD down with me but it's illegal in all National Parks, and many State Parks!

That's the Bummer!

I guess when I get around to visit the kin folk on the east side of the state I'll have to bring it with me then! Being private property is open ground.

Also I have a sister in law in the Alanta, GA area how strict are they down there?

Make that all KY parks.

You're about a month or so too late to hear the debate we had over Senate Bill 105 and House bill 352 which would have opened up KY State parks to detecting. We received very little broad support from the metal detecting community at large. The archaeology lobby portrayed the detecting community as grave robbers willing to dig up bodies to get gold teeth. It was nasty and my respect for that discipline went down a few notches.

I encourage you to read some of my posts on the matter at http://www.pocketspill.com and Google for others' stuff too. It was a lively debate, and we passed Senate but failed in House.

The archaeology and preservation lobby is strong and well-organized. Until the detecting community puts up a better, more articulate and coherent effort, hunting grounds will continue to be closed down. The manufacturers seem disconnected from all of this for some reason.

I want to say I'm not trying to belittle the huge efforts that a few detectorists in KY put forward. Eddie Black in particular worked hours and hours to try to help us. And members of this forum were responsive (though many were outside of KY.)

Well its good to have some support in Kentucky.

I have no problems with Mammoth Cave National Park as I do restoration work there, and support them.

Just checking the legal guide lines, and was kinda bummed with all the regulations.

Like I said I do have relatives on the Eastern side of the state, and a friend that does have some property outside of the National Park property line. So I'll check that area out when I go down.

There is lots of Civil War history in the area, and hope to find something!

Well many thanks to all for the hard work in trying to get something worked out with the Kentucky Government!

Back
Top Bottom